霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 9 Discussion 🌬 🏘

Pages 97 - 110

Chapter 4: バカメとトーマスのいる店

Start Date: 15th February
Last Week: Chapter 4.1
Next Week: Chapter 5.1

霧のむこうのふしぎな町 Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 4 this week!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Meow~ A question please if I may.

At 49%

「人魚がいいにきまってるぜ、トーマス。メドーサなんかも、おりゃかわっててすきだが、むすめっこにゃ、やっぱり人魚かビーナスだなあ。」

This is what Bakame tells Thomas while after Rina brings some food for Bakame and leaves it in his cage. I am not really sure what they are talking about (what is Thomas going to carve from that rectangular wood block is my best guess).

I am particularly puzzled about おりゃ (is this some sort of slurred それは?) and by the にゃ after むすめっこ (no clues about that one… ニャア~). Also not sure how a mermaid and Venus are related exactly… =o.O=

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

おりゃ is おれは. Similarly にゃ is には.
I don’t know about the exact mythology of the book, but Venus was born out of a seashell, soooo she is sea-related?

2 Likes

My impression was that Bakame wants Thomas to carve something for Rina, and he is suggesting that, while he likes Medusa, a mermaid or Venus would be a better choice for Rina.

6 Likes

Specifically, he likes medusas because he is a weirdo (変わっている)

Sorry @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz I missed the fact that you said you’re not really sure about what they are talking about :sweat_smile: I somehow skipped that whole paragraph. (How??)

3 Likes

Thank you @Kyasurin and @Naphthalene! I understand that part now ^.^

2 Likes

Is the entry 9 in the sheet what it says, or this?

Edit: 48% –「このおれが、そんなみょうなよび方をされるとは、きょうは最悪の日だぜ。」
“If I’m to be called in such a strange way, then today is the worst.” Something like that?

Edit 2:「ああ、とれよ。さっさと、とっちまえ。」
“Ah, take it. (Take it quickly)”?

Edit 3:「とびらのこわれた鳥かご」
Wouldn’t this mean “the door’s broken cage”, instead of the other way around? :thinking:

48% Something like that, but it’s not an “if” (there’s no hypothesis, it is happening)

1. Yep. とっちまえ is 取ってしまえ

2. Nope, that’s a weird thing where が turns into の in sentences used to describe a noun (I forgot what they are called). The one video I saw from CureDolly told me she doesn’t like the concept of particles turning into other particles, so maybe there’s a more formal explanation, but that’s just how I remember it.

3 Likes

I seem to recall one explanation being that people don’t like when sentences have more than one が (subject) particle, so it changes to の in the subclause to avoid that.

2 Likes

Is that the third definition of の on jisho: “substitutes for “ga” in subordinate phrases”?

2 Likes
  1. so the と is a acting as a quoting particle here?
  2. さっさ+と=quickly+with?
  3. gotcha; thanks.

@seanblue that’s what I heard too. I never questioned it before, but now that I saw said video, I got curious if there was a more concrete explanation. Not curious enough to go dig for it, though.

@Nenad

1. I… don’t think so? It’s a bit harder to say with those set phrases, but I think it’s this one instead:

動作・状態などの結果を表す。「有罪決定した」「復讐 (ふくしゅう) の鬼化した」

(Marks the result of an action or state)
Source: ととは? 意味・読み方・使い方をわかりやすく解説 - goo国語辞書 (scroll way down, I.4)

1. No, さっさ is just a と adverb (I remember you had that problem before).
3 Likes
  1. Oh, so it has another meaning. Great…
  2. I keep forgetting.

But thanks anyway.

1 Like

49%

some of these translations :joy:

Edit: Speaking of, I don’t get this sentence – Nata was quickly talking about Bakame, but Rina burst out laughing?

50%
Edit 2: なぜあんなにすなおにとれっていったのかしら。

1 Like

About the translation: nothing Google can do about it. It’s impossible to guess that バカメ is someone’s name without context.

1: Nata’s impression of Bakame was so spot on (Nata said in a way too much bakame-looking-alike because (giving excuse)), that Rina burst out laughing.

2: I’m a bit fuzzy about the context right now, but I think it’s 素直に取れって言った: said frankly “take it”

2 Likes

I know, but it’s still funny. Also thanks, I get it now.

1 Like

52% –トーマスは無口だし、口をひらいても、すこしたくさんしゃべるときは、きまってなにかに腹を立てたときだけなんだから。[I’ve added some kanjis, tho] “A little a lot,” what? “He talks a little too much,” maybe?

Edit:「でも、ピコットばあさんみたいに、チクチクやられるよりは、怒鳴られた方がさっぱりするみたい。」
“But, like Mrs. Pikotto he seems to be more refreshed from yelling that from getting prickly”?

52% I wonder if すこし means ‘little while’ as in meaning 2 in jisho and then it would mean that he talks a lot for a little while.

3 Likes

I’m getting there…

awwwwww, バカメ :joy:

Page 97: 目の高さの鳥箱の中に、

I get that this means, like, high above her eyes, but 目の高さの seems like such a weird way of phrasing it. The height of her gaze?

Page 98: 当人たちは、いや当人と一わはめいわくがっているようだ。

Just checking - is it this がる? I cannot tell you how long it took me to work out that 一わ was 一羽 :sweat_smile:

Page 99: えさだけでもいれといてあげなくっちゃ

I’m good up until いてあげなくっちゃ…?

Page 99: 自分のいいと思ったことをいっしょうけんめいやりなすったんだから

I don’t really get the やりなす part at the end (so by extension don’t really understand the gist of the whole sentence).

:bowing_man:

2 Likes

Haha, I totally fell for that because in German we use the same word (Augenhöhe = eye-height) but in Japanese it can also mean having an expert eye :slight_smile:
But it seems from the context that here it still has the literal meaning of “height of the eye”. So I don’t think it’s “high above her eyes” but more “at eye level”?

5 Likes