霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 9 Discussion 🌬 🏘

My interpretation was also that this means “a little too much”. Sadly I can’t seem to find anything to back that up, but it seems to fit context properly.

I concur it is that がる. (Bunpro link, Tae-Kim link)

Welcome to hell multiple chained auxiliary verbs!

My understanding is the following:

いれる => to put in, to insert (into the cage, in this case)
:heavy_plus_sign: ておく => to do it in advance for something else (e.g., so that the cage is not so sparkling clean Bakame feels uncomfortable). The ておく often gets abbreviated to とく.
:heavy_plus_sign: てあげる => to do something for someone else (going to put food in the cage for Bakame)
:heavy_plus_sign: なくちゃ => the casual version of the “has to be done” construction

In each step, each verb is transformed to its て-form to chain them together.

“(I) have to place at least some food (in advance for bakame)”

8 Likes

I went searching, and discovered なすった is on Jisho, and it is the irregular past tense of なさる, an honorific word meaning “to do”. So I think, Icchan is saying something like “You did what you thought would be good to do” (ie clean up their messy house)

4 Likes

Aaaaah, I’m so glad I asked! That makes so much more sense, thank you.

Ack, thank you. I haven’t encountered the ておく -> とく thing nearly often enough to remember it (especially when it comes under the guise of て-form).

Beautiful, thank you!

3 Likes

53% –「(トーマスもバカメも、おちつかないんじゃないかしら。)」
“I wonder if Bakame and Thomas also aren’t calm”?

「この本、ほしいなと、リナは思った。」
Wot dis? Seems to be the same as など, right

どういうわけか、ここにくると声が大きくなる。」
What does this mean?

Done with the chapter, yay!

1 Like

Remember my explanation of な a couple weeks back? It’s that. The と is the quotation particle for 思う.

That it’s short for なさい, maybe?

1 Like

So many possible meanings, aaa

Thanks.

Page 101: バカメなら、ナータのいう代金、ぜったいはらえるもの。」

Is Rina really assuming she knows the purchasing power of a parrot?! :joy:

I wasn’t super confident of much of ナータ’s speech at the end of this page and going on to the next. What does this sentence mean? -
しかたがないからあげるわっていったときなんか、ものすごかったのよ.

And then after she talks about how it already feels like Bakame’s book, does she just segue right into telling Rina to go home because she worked hard? Conversational whiplash, man! What exactly is going on with the 帰ってよくってよ at the end? (page 102)

Page 104 - それも、ナータのものすごいけんまくにおしきられたかたちでね

I might be totally off-base here, but should this say トーマス rather than ナータ?

I’m also not sure what’s going on with the かたち at the end - is it like, she did it with a “pushing past his menacing look” form? I didn’t know you could use かたち like that… :thinking:

p.101 I think Rina just understands how much Bakame wants that book!

The time she gave up and said she would just give it to him, he went off the deep end at her.

p.102 Yes she does talk a million miles an hour :joy: and tells Rina she must be exhausted and it’s ok to go home. Like 帰ってもいい

p.103 You’re right, that is weird. I never noticed before. Hopefully someone else can clarify.

2 Likes

P104. It’s correct. ナータ only got to get inside by looking fiercely (at トーマス). Basically, she was the unstoppable force to トーマス’s unmovable object and somehow she managed to break the rules of physics.

why does it sound like an innuendo now that read myself again.

8 Likes

Haha, fair enough :joy:

Oooh, that makes much more sense. What does the わっていった part mean? I was thinking along the lines of わたす, but that doesn’t become わって…

:+1:

We hadn’t really experienced the full force of her chatter since chapter 3, so I think my mind had blocked out the memories :scream:

Ah, gotcha. I thought he was talking about Rina.

Thanks as always, all!

1 Like

It’s the embedded version of a quoted sentence with わ indicating emotion.
しかたがないから「あげるわ!」と言った時なんか、ものすごかったのよ。

6 Likes

omg, why you have to confuse me with your random わs, Japan :expressionless:

Thank youuuuuuuu!

4 Likes

Want to get your advice on a couple of translations!

Translations

47%

ナータが、あんまりバカメそっくりにいうものだから、リナは笑い出してしまった。

Because Nata saide something exactly like bakame, Rina let out a smile.

*話すことにかけては人間以上だけど、本を読はしないわ。

When it comes to talking, however more than people, don’t read books.

48%

もうその本は忘れるつもりでいたの
I’m a little confused about the bolded part.

My answering attempts

47%

It is rather „burst out laughing“.
(BTW didn’t we discuss this sentence already? Or did the discussion not cover the parts relevant to you?)

Sentence 2:

The subject here is still Bakame, as Naata answers Rina‘s question: „When it comes to talking, he speaks more than people, but he doesn’t read books.“

48%

つもりでいる means „intend to“. (You can think of it as つもり + だ in て-form past tense).
„I already intended to forget about this book.“

4 Likes

So I actually just finished this chapter and AWWWWWWWWWWWWW my heart, haha :joy:

I mean, classic children’s book, setting up an expectation that it wants to subvert literally a sentence or two later, but that was very sweet and felt quite natural.

To the questions!

Page 106: 今日はトーマスとバカメと、どなりあってばかりいたように思う。

I’m actually quite confused by this sentence. To start, I’m not sure why どなる is being combined with あって like that. I also feel like… why is it ように思う, rather than, I don’t know, quoting the thing she thinks? I’m struggling to explain, but I don’t really understand why the sentence is constructed like this (and therefore suspect I may be misunderstanding the whole thing).

Page 108: Any insight into which book ネズナイカ is? Is it just a Japanese or other non-English book I haven’t heard of?

ピコットばあさんのいう、食いぶちはかせいにだってこと。

I don’t really get along very well with how ナータ talks, but this sentence in particular is bothering me. I’m not even certain which meaning of かせい is relevant here, and I don’t really understand だってこと. What does it mean? Anyone able to give a breakdown?

1 Like

It might be made up for the story. I looked it up when I read this section, but I don’t remember what I found.

Ah, I just image searched it, and there seems to be a book or possibly a series of books. I think it’s the name of the protagonist, who is a boy with a large witch-esque hat and marginally ginger hair. From the scale and other characters I’m getting a pixie / brownie vibe. The one that comes up most seems to be ネズナイカのぼうけん.

3 Likes

The あう is 合う and implies “to do … to each other; to do … together” (from Jisho).
Today it feels like I was only yelling with Thomas and Bakame. (ie it feels like we did nothing except shout at each other).

I looked this up. It’s a booked called Neznayka by Nikolai Nosov. Neznay means “don’t know”. I’m not familiar with an English version.

It’s かせいだ from 稼ぐ, to earn, and ということ
Nata is telling Rina that she’s earned her board (cost of her food), as ピコットばあさん likes to say.

4 Likes