進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan) reading attempt

First time encountering [noun] + もなく (もない)

“ But…something like beginning to cry even without (もなく) a reason “

Should be correct, not sure

1 Like

I like everything in my own threads so I know I read them already. :joy: I don’t like everything in sight (just most everything. :laughing:)

Also, I’m not sure how much I’ll contribute here, anyhow; if I haven’t read or watched something myself, or am not reading it, I don’t tend to weigh in too much because I don’t like explaining things if I potentially lack some critical context. :grin:

7 Likes

The first 12 volumes are pretty accessible. Then Season 3 happens and we go from learning our ABCs and color names to writing our dissertation on mass genocide in the 20th century and how we feel its effects today.

10 Likes

This is the best summary I’ve read.

4 Likes

So it gets almost as difficult as Nishikata’s internal monologues :rofl:
(Talking about the Takagi-san’s manga)

Did you read the whole series?

1 Like

All good my man, just jump in sometimes when you feel like :grin:

1 Like

On the vocabulary sheet,

• Page 6: I am pretty sure I don’t read 一体(いったい) wrong, even for current meaning in context.
  • Page 8: iirc, (どお)り is also listed as a grammar, along the line of, according to. Perhaps the same way works too.

As a matter of fact, I read the first chapter, and have some questions too; but it fades when I tried to understand more about the whole chapter and each context. I might have to re-read to pick out the questions themselves.

3 Likes

Question on the passive of 怒る

Doubt on this sentence. In the other manga I’m reading, the passive form of 怒る is always used as “to get scolded”. Now I don’t get the meaning of this sentence because Eren here was the angry one, while Mikasa was the one that made him angry… in this case, shouldn’t Mikasa, being marked by に, be the one that is making the action of scolding Eren?

Definition no.1 on Jisho is ‘to get angry’. So if we put this into the receptive, wouldn’t it mean it’s contrary - giving someone anger (or getting scolded by someone)?

Any chance you can post the entire page to see the surrounding dialog?

EDIT:
Specifically, I don’t get who says that sentence. If one takes it completely out of context, it looks person B is wondering why person A was angered by Mikasa (Mikasa somehow angered person A?)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the corrections, it’s greatly appreciated! I put it into google translate yesterday to check the pronunciation and the voice said いちたい so I went for that, but the romaji under the voice said いったい, so I’ll go for it!

Updated this too with your definition as first one :ok_hand:

Happy to hear that you’re reading the series too :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry, I’m stupid, I keep forgetting to add context :smiling_face_with_tear:

Context

These speech bubbles lead to the next page where the first one is the line I asked about
Exactly, it’s a Hannes-san’s line

1 Like

That makes sense. Mikasa angered Eren and Hannes is asking the rhetorical question.

2 Likes

That’s the point, I don’t get how Mikasa angered Eren and yet the grammar points her with に so the person who is scolding (or getting mad at) someone (Eren)
I checked some hinative articles to understand it better, and the more I read the more doubts I have on this one

But who is scolding who here? The primary meaning of 怒る is “to get angry”.

1 Like

Yet, my doubt remains.
Aは/が怒る → A gets angry
Aは/が怒られる→A receives anger from someone marked by に
Where am I wrong?
Even DeepL translates it as “what did Mikasa do to piss you off?” which appears to me to go against the grammar logic

1 Like

The reverse DeepL gives the following for instance:

1 Like

Which further confirms my doubts
Can’t get over this one, maybe my logic is broken I don’t see any alternative

Let me explain better what I mean
Aが怒る→Gets angry/ scolds
Aが怒られる→Gets ‘madded’ at/ gets scolded
In the receptive form case, に marks the one that gets angry/ scolds.

The context implies that Eren is the one getting angry at Mikasa because in the previous page she suggests him to ask his father to get a medical examination, and he angrily answers that he can’t do that. (Don’t really remember perfectly since I translated those lines yesterday)

After these considerations, why is Mikasa marked by に with 怒られる? Doesn’t this imply that she got mad at Eren?

Edit: on the DeepL translator, if I cut off the のか part, the sentence magically makes sense in the terms of what I mean. Maybe I’m missing some way of のか of modifying the sentence?

Isn’t Eren crying?

Hannes is asking if he got scolded by Mikasa, no?

I imagine Hannes doesn’t know the context, same as me, so he’s making an assumption.

1 Like

ミカサを怒らせた would be made Mikasa angry.

And ミカサに怒った would be got angry at Mikasa.

Imo.

1 Like