進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan) reading attempt

Hey there, thanks for visiting, whoever you are.

I’m currently reading the manga series 進撃の巨人 (Attack on Titan) and will post here eventual grammar and general comprehension questions.
Feel free to join for any purpose, I’d appreciate having other people who are reading/have read/ are planning to read this series, or are simply willing to give some help :grin:

Major spoilers are hidden :ok_hand:

Vocab sheets
Completed (1086 elements translated and double-checked by others)
Chapter 4 (330 elements)
Chapter 3 (301 elements)
Chapter 2 (248 elements)
Chapter 1 (207 elements)

In the vocab sheets every contraction is marked and the correct grammar is reported in the notes.

Note
I’m not a native English speaker. Even if I believe in the high accuracy of the material provided, it could present some mistakes and typos. If you see any, please notice me on here so I can address it!

• Make the vocab sheets for Chapter 2 (Vol. 1)
  • No

0 voters

• I’m not interested in this series
  • I will read this eventually
  • I will read this soon/ am already reading it
  • I have already read it

0 voters

19 Likes

Alright, quick question. What does this actually mean?

1 Like

First one, not sure about it since there are a couple contractions/ grammar points I never saw

何だったっけ→ 何だった + っけ particle “what was that again…”
思い出せねぇ→思い出す in potential negative “can’t recall”

“What was that again… I can’t recall…”

If this is correct, also a like without any answer will let me know that there are no mistakes :raised_hands:

7 Likes

I’m prepared on this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
進撃→ advance/charge
巨人→ giant(s)
“The giants’ charge”

I guess :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This might be a problem once Generic gets here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, does this reply mean that there’s a mistake? :eyes:

Anyway I’ll stop. :joy:

5 Likes

巨人の進撃?

7 Likes

Or just “I can’t remember what it was”, no need to make it more complicated

2 Likes

:rofl: Hmm you’re right, it’s a failing strategy.

:exploding_head: so it’s “The charging/ giants” or “the advance-charge (/advancing-charging) of the giants”

(Also I think they’re called ‘titans’ in the english version, in the Italian one it’s simply ‘giants’)

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice :grin: Not being native english speaker I always try to translate in the most literal way possible, even at the cost of making a sentence sound extra weird

2 Likes

I think what you’re looking for here is Vanguard Titan or Advance Titan. Although technically “vanguard” is 前衛 or 先陣 or 先頭.

5 Likes

Haha! You’ll figure it out eventually. :slight_smile:

I see. I’d go with titans since that’s the official translation (based on the English name that’s on the Japanese volumes), but it’s your thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, you should link the spreadsheet in the main post, no?

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction, I had completely ignored that possibility!

1 Like

I guess at this point both versions are correct but it’s most likely to be the one suggested by @WeebPotato since it fits the context (there’s a titan called vanguard/advance titan in the series) Edit: not sure this is the correct english name but the reference holds valid

Damn, I forgot :ok_man:
How do I do it tho…

You paste the link. :v

There’s a share option in the spreadsheet, you click it and choose who can see/edit it and then copy the link. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Link is on, anyone can check it and propose changes if there are errors
(Work in progress, I also still have to add page numbers :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Small question on that stupid とか
Posting the pic of the page because it’s 3 speech bubbles linked together

19.4.1-2-3

言うなよ…誰にも is a complete sentence in an inverted order, it means “Don’t tell anyone” (言う in the imperative negative form)
The other two bubbles are independent from this one and linked together (in the ‘normal’ grammatical order) and they respectively mean
オレが泣いてたとか→ something like/ such a thing that I was crying…
言わない→don’t tell

Is the とか use correct? Any error?

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s mostly right. So Eren gives this as sort of an example of what Mikasa shouldn’t tell anyone, she shouldn’t tell anyone about his moments of showing weakness, such as the time he cried

The third bubble belongs to Mikasa though, I’d think. Basically she just says “… I won’t (tell anyone about such things)”

4 Likes

Hmm nice, I didn’t notice this!

1 Like

Yes, you can leave とか at the end of a sentence like this and here it’s kind of a “etc, etc…”, but be aware that in some contexts とか is used to report things one has heard. It needs to be clear from context, however.

A command would require an imperative form. Here it’s just a statement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m aware of the possibilities with とか, already struggled with it in Takagi-san :joy:

Right, got tricked!

1 Like