行う: I hate this word

行う: I hate this word. That’s all I wanted to say.

…hate it.

17 Likes

But why?

4 Likes

I like it… it’s quite a common word too.

2 Likes

I mix it up with 行く too frequently -__- …it’s just an odd pronunciation and I jack this word up consistently.

1 Like

Maybe you’re rushing through your reviews a bit? The different okurigana is more than enough to distinguish it (at least in the form WK teaches it, since you can end up with ambiguous things like the て form and past tense of both being 行って and 行った)

1 Like

I have gotten snagged on it a few times already!

I’m still going to hate it for today.

…the く and the う are not the issue. It’s the い and the おこな difference that is driving me nuts.

I like it too. Beginner textbooks usually throw 行く at you from chapter 1, 行く here, 行きます there - and then after a little while they’ll let slip (or you find out from other sources) that there’s another mysterious reading (and meaning) for that character.
For me, it was my way of discovering how characters can have multiple facets to them, it was kinda fun at the time.

2 Likes

I hated that one when I learned it, too.
It was always easy to remember just because I thought the reading was so dumb.

5 Likes

I know I hated it when I first learned back in the day, taunting me every time I got it wrong on WK with an “I know you know the reading, but I guess you couldn’t 行う when it came time for the review, could ya?”

3 Likes

Using the same kanji for multiple verbs will appear throughout your Japanese studies, but it’s totally ok to hate this word. I did (and do too).

4 Likes

I dislike it too. I forget the meaning quite often.

2 Likes

Another way to know which it is when reading besides context of the sentence is that 行くwill usually have にas the particle and 行うwill have を.

So even if they are in てform, you can tell just scanning the page.

This isn’t 100 percent but generally it is how it works out.

8 Likes

Wait until you come across 行います and spend a few minutes trying to figure out what the hell kind of conjugation of 行く that is before you figure it out.

6 Likes

like kouimasu?

I hear it at formal events such as weddings. Think of the wedding minister:

“OK NOW (okonau) we are going TO CARRY OUT the wedding between Koichi and Mrs. Chou (who we haven’t seen in a long time because she killed my bird on the street—with nails.)

Try that one.

14 Likes

We know you hate it, but what are you going to 行う about it?

4 Likes

But everyone’s forgetting 行き, as in “bound for”. It’s read ゆき, not いき, at least every time I’ve heard it in actual situations in Japan.

5 Likes

Sure, depending on context 行く can be pronounced ゆく in a variety of situations.

1 Like

I hated that one too. On the bright side, by talking about it with us, you’ll probably remember it even better! :slight_smile: I find that when something like this really baffles me and I get stung on it a lot, I just start trying to use it or talking about it out loud. Or even writing about it like here.

1 Like