Sometimes I'm reminded of why learning Japanese sucks

Kanji in particular.

美味 is read as びみ
美味い is read as うまい
美味しい is read as おいしい

Wtf Japan.

That is all. There is not much to discuss. I just felt like ranting lightheartedly. :upside_down_face:

68 Likes

微笑 びしょう
微笑む ほほえむ

躊躇 ちゅうちょ
躊躇う ためらう

There are more.

12 Likes

And you got

嫌 as いや
嫌い as きらい

And

下げる as さげる
下る as くだる
下ろす as おろす

And lots of other fun times.

13 Likes

Oh! Also (kinda stretching it a bit)

愛し あいし (connective of 愛する)
愛しい いとしい

6 Likes

Legendary mode:

生 as なま
生 as せい
生 as き
生む as うむ
生きる as いきる
生い立ち as おいたち

And much much more…

22 Likes

I’m sure Japanese people think the same about English when they encounter words with similar spellings and different pronunciations! :wink:

22 Likes

That’s 生真面目 of you to include that one.

3 Likes

Can’t help throwing this in. (Although not quite sure there are 10 -ough sounds… some seem very obscure, but definitely 5 commonly used sounds IMO).

:slight_smile:

40 Likes

I can confirm I use all ten of those /ough/ sounds.

But I speak a dialect of English that still uses thee and thou as a second person singular pronoun.

4 Likes

Another lighthearted addition.

44 Likes

Really? Cool to know! I learnt slough as rhyming with plough. Do you read it like ‘slew’ or similar?

2 Likes

Yeah as a native English speaker I’ve never seen hiccup spelled like that, and I had to Google what “lough” even meant.

13 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always spelt it hiccup also. But have seen it around as hiccough.

1 Like

It depends on what word it is…

If it’s the place then it rhymes with plough.
If it’s snakeskin then it rhymes with stew.
If it’s the verb then it rhymes with buff.

I was taught the hiccough spelling in school and it’s the one I use.

5 Likes

Sorry for bombing the thread with lots of non Japanese examples… I’m procrastinating. Meant to be studying… :expressionless:

2 Likes

Listen, if I can get some milage of the joke, I will. I only regret not adding the archaic 生 as いき that I have only seen in dictonaires :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ooooh interesting! I will go check out that snakeskin reading.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard slough pronounced in real life before. And I have no idea what lough even means, let alone how it’s pronounced.

As for hiccup, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it spelled hiccough before, but it seems archaic to me. It takes me a moment to figure out what people are trying to say when they spell it like that.

3 Likes

I was just riding your wave joke by demonstrating a use of that reading :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

the ones you don’t know appear to be scottish/irish, so not from your area.

1 Like