獣の奏者 chapter 7, part 5 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 7, Part 5: 襲撃、 闘蛇の印

Start Date: September 19th
Previous Week: Chapter 7, part 4
Next Week: Chapter 7, part 6

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-09-27T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

Yeah! First again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

so…

This week spoiler

This week was slightly more difficult to grasp but I got it overall. I understand イアル being sad at the end I mean his life is dedicated to protecting the Queen but he couldn’t do anything in the last fight. Then エリン appear and crushed everyone else.

Btw at the end, he mentions a man that could be responsible but has everything to lose. We agree it’s ダミヤ right?

2 Likes

I also found this week’s reading to be harder. I got everything overall I think, but I’ll probably be back later in the week to ask some questions.

Spoiler response

Ohh, that makes sense! I was super confused and kept trying to figure out who the 男 was since the アルハン was mentioned by his title. I really need to go reread that part now that you mentioned this. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a question from about 7 pages in, when Erin is looking at Eyal’s arm. He says 「すまない。身体があかなかったのだ。」 Do you have more kanji than me? I don’t know what he means. What is the あく?

Yet more spoiler

Also, how dodgy was the courtier with only a minor bruise? Why was he so shocked to see Erin? Alarm bells are ringing!

1 Like

Wouldn’t you be scared of the woman who can control 王獣?

But maybe there’s more to it.

3 Likes

I assumed this was related to 体が空く, which means “to become free/to get time off”. Erin was asking why he didn’t come sooner and he was saying he hadn’t had a chance until then. The non-furigana version doesn’t have kanji for あく either.

2 Likes

Ah thank you. Probably should have done that jisho search with hiragana only :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes
Questions

医術師が施した薬が効いているのだろう、負傷者たちはよく眠っている。

What’s the best way to translate 施す? I’m thinking “administer”.

Is the relevant definition the first one here? It seems slightly different from what I was thinking, but the others seem completely unrelated…

それに、一度、あなたに助けられた命だが、あまり長くはもつまいしな

What does the あまり長くはもつまいし part mean? I think it’s very context specific (since even Erin was confused), but I’m still not really sure what it means.

1 Like

I feel like daijirin’s definitions are a bit clearer:

But even then, yeah I don’t think any of those fit perfectly with 薬を施す (I don’t think it’s related to the 1st definition either). Closest thing I could think of is the 装飾 definition, and although a medicine is something else, it gives off the exact the same physical image for me:

• 化粧を施す applying makeup (I like administer too)
  • 薬を施す applying medicine

So in summary, I’m not sure! But it sounds right.

Summary

So I don’t remember the context exactly, but I think it’s saying “I probably won’t stay alive for long”? 命、長く持つまい

4 Likes

Thanks, both those explanations make sense to me.

Is Daijirin a paid dictionary? That pitch accent diagram and audio icon are enticing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a screenshot from a project I’m working on (the diagram/icon aren’t specific to daijirin). It has some pretty cool stuff, aiming for a release soon :eyes:

Sneak peak

6 Likes

Looks pretty cool! I look forward to seeing the released version!

1 Like

I’m way late reading this but I liked the interaction between these two.
Trying to catch up for tomorrow :grimacing:

5 Likes