獣の奏者 chapter 7, part 4 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 7, Part 4: 襲撃、 治療

Start Date: September 12th
Previous Week: Chapter 7, part 3
Next Week: Chapter 7, part 5

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-09-20T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

1 Like

I’m first again :tada:This week chapter was longer than usual but felt sooooo short. I was into it and it was easy to read. It’s rare that it happens but I probably could have read more.

Question

I don’t understand what イアル tells エリン before she leave.
「頼む。— 薬はここではなく、ガザルム侯の菅へ届けてくれ。この船はガザルム侯へ曳航してもらう。大公は名うての戦上手。万が一、襲撃の第二陣を用意していたら、ここでが防ぎ切れない」
“Please. we don’t have medicine here, notify the gazarumu building/The medicine is not for here bring it to the Gazrumu building. (The second does not make sense but is the more grammatically correct in my opinion)” This boat is set for kazarumu please take it/I will set it for you. Arehan is famous for it’s war strength. 10 000 for one, if a second battalion/army attack, we won’t be able to resist/prevent it."
My biggest problem is the medicine part. The most logical would be “we have no medicine here please go get some” but 届ける is either to deliver or to notify. The へ before makes me think to deliver toward Kazarumu but it makes no sense like that. Then he adds :
「急がなくてよいから、カザルム侯の菅へは、馬で来なさい」
It’s okay if you are not fast so, come from/to Kazarumu with a horse."
I guess maybe へ can be used for “toward there” and “toward here.”
These part are the only one that does not seems to make sense to me. Does someone have a better explanation?

On another thing, I never thought that Erin also had knowledge in Human medicine. It’s like asking for a vet to make an operation on a human. Yeah, they have knowledge but I was sure it was really different. And is there no other doctor in that boat or way of countering the 「牙」No whistle or nothing? ダミヤ was nicer than expected. I hope the Queen gets better because the next one could want to take revenge on Arehan for the Dead of the Queen than wants to have an army of 王獣. Then what probably happens on the other side of the mountain could happen again.

Some thoughts

イアル wants エリン to take the medicine to ガザルム because he’s going to have the boat towed there (この船はガザルム侯へ曳航してもらう) due to the fact that if they’re attacked again, they won’t be able to hold out where they are (万が一、襲撃の第二陣を用意していたら、ここでが防ぎ切れない). So if she brought the medicine back to where they are, the boat wouldn’t be there, so she should bring it to ガザルム, riding a horse instead of flying on リラン.

or way of countering the 「牙」No whistle or nothing

I thought that the riders did something (to their ears?) to make it so that the whistle didn’t work on them in battle. (Otherwise it could be done in any battle and render them useless.)

2 Likes
Answer to valkow

I thought they did not had any medicine which is why she was going there in the first place.

Then she says yes and fly anyway?

I do remember that but then why is リラン cry worked then. Was it so strong that they heard it anyway?
Sorry but some things don’t seem to make sense to me

1 Like
More thoughts

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. From the river, she’s flying on リラン back to the school to get the medicine, then riding a horse to the lord or whatever of ガザルム’s mansion, which is where the boat will be towed. She can’t leave リラン at the river, that wouldn’t be safe for anyone, so she flies on リラン back home and leaves her there.

I don’t know the specifics about the ears vs リラン’s noise, but it does seem likely that リラン’s noise is several degrees of magnitude more powerful than the whistle. I don’t know for sure, though.

2 Likes
Me finaly understanding

Now I get it. カザルム侯の菅 does not refer to the school but to the mansion of the lord. the school is カザルム学舎. Now everything makes more sense. I was sure カザルム was the name of the school but it’s the name of the county/region. Thx for the help.

3 Likes

That was quite a chapter!

I still remain highly suspicious of ダミヤ, even if he was injured in the attack.

Uh, nothing to see here…
tries really hard to look innocent

4 Likes

Well, I really liked this chapter (as evidenced by the fact that I’m done with it already?). Kinda want to keep reading but I’ll be good.

I think イアル might turn out to be one of my favorite characters (I hope he doesn’t die in the next chapter or something, that’d be anticlimactic…). By the way, any idea how old he is at this point? I’m really lost with the timeline.
I was surprised by how nice ダミヤ was in this chapter… not sure what’s up with him.

3 Likes

Ok speculation time :grin:

I have a hunch that you are not the only one who thinks so - might be that Erin is also a fan…? - And me too btw…

Heh, I wondered about that as well :slight_smile: I suspect he might be quite a bit older than her, maybe around 30 or so? Maybe his age was mentioned in the chapter where he got shot, but it’s a bit difficult for me to search for that atm…

4 Likes