獣の奏者 chapter 7, part 1 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 7, Part 1: 襲撃、 真王ヨジェぎようこう

Start Date: August 22nd
Previous Week: Chapter 6, part 5
Next Week: Chapter 7, part 2

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-08-30T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

This was an interesting part. We finally start seeing the different characters we followed independently interact with each other. エアル still as cool as ever. Anybody else dislike ダミヤ from the start for some reason?

Although, Erin stepping in right after making sure that 絶対に she won’t step in no matter what happens was weird.

5 Likes

OMG yes!

He really gives me the creeps.

I do feel sorry for the 真王 though, she is revered like a goddess and yet effectively a prisoner in her own home.

5 Likes

She’s said that using the whistle on リラン is like the one thing she’d never allow, so it didn’t seem weird to me. Even if it wasn’t smart.

4 Likes

Agreed! I was more surprised anyone ever thought she’d not do that, lol. She probably feels just as strongly about it not being done to the young one, after all. I think in some cases she isn’t smart about things without realizing it, but in this case, I think she knows it’s not smart and is willing to make the dumb choice for her convictions and the creatures she’s bonded with who are in her care. (At least, I hope this is the case…!)

4 Likes

I couldn’t stop here and ended up reading two more sections. :sweat_smile: Spoiler for Ch. 7, Pt. 1: I was a little disappointed that there was really no interaction between Erin and the other group in this part, so I decided to read a little more. But then the title of the next chapter was too enticing, so I read that one too. Plus it was really short.

I do agree with @mrahhal though. I don’t even know why Esaru bothered telling Erin not to interrupt. She was there with her harp, so clearly they were prepared for her to cut in, if needed.

4 Likes

A short chapter that was kinda obvious

I’m not surprised that was bound to happen. The Queen was nicer than I expected. Seems like イアル got himself a nice title. I believe it’s god speed イアル or something like that. Compared to the one I read this one is easier so it’s like a puff of fresh air to me. I like reading it.

Page 185 question

初めて外に出て、慣れぬ馬車での長旅をした真王ヨジエは、カザルム領主の館につくころにはさすがに疲れた様子だったが、領主の心のこもった歓待を受けて、早めに休んだ翌朝は、元気をとりもどしていた。

The obvious interpretation here is that she went to bed early, and then the next morning felt refreshed. But I don’t understand how that’s happening grammatically. It looks like 早めに休んだ is modifying 翌朝, which would imply that she went to bed early the next morning, which I assume isn’t the case. Can someone explain what’s going on here grammatically?

1 Like

I agree with your interpretation and also don’t know what’s going on grammatically. But I was curious and googled, and it seems like 休んだ翌朝 isn’t uncommon. I’m seeing ゆっくり休んだ翌朝, 病欠で休んだ翌朝, ゆったりと休んだ翌朝, ぐっすり休んだ翌朝, etc. Maybe this is how 翌 works?

よく [0][1]【翌】
その次、の意。年月など時に関する名詞の上に付いて複合語をつくり、ある基準になる日時の次の日時である意を表す。 「事件のあった-朝」 「 -八九年に完成した」

Before thinking about it this way, for example, I would’ve considered 事件のあった翌朝 to mean the next morning when there was an incident, but now I am thinking maybe it means the next morning after an incident occurred.

3 Likes