札 - what kind of bill is it?

So I’ve spent the last few levels under the impression that 札 was a bill, as in the kind your might be presented with for purchasing a service. However, jisho seems to imply that that should be 付け. A couple of levels later, the example of 千円札 does kind of clarify it can mean bill in the American English sense, as in a piece of paper currency. And the synonyms in Jisho seem to imply that 札 can not imply bill in the British English sense of a restaurant bill.

Is this correct? Note is in the synonym list, but given that as a standalone Kanji its given to mean label, that doesn’t immediately jump to a bank note either, but rather a note jotted down on paper about something.

I’d suggest the main meaning here should be adjusted to Bank Note, with “Bill” demoted to a synonym. I will admit that that’s not how it’s used directly in English conversation, with americans saying $10 bill and the rest of the world saying €10 note or similar, but I think at least unlike bill or note, bank note is unambiguous and understood by both major varieties of English.

6 Likes

It’s like a small slip of paper, like a tag on clothes. Or a small slip of paper like a dollar bill. Or a small slip of paper with a spell or incantation on it that you’ll see at a shintou shrine or altar.

8 Likes

The vocab is on the same level, plus the kanji page (and lesson) has an explanation.

my understanding is that 札 can be either a banknote, or some other slip of paper.

as a banknote it’s read as さつ, otherwise as ふだ.

i can’t recall seeing it used to mean a bill (the kind you have to pay) anywhere though?

4 Likes

Yes, I agree that by now it’s clear that it cannot mean a bill in the BE sense. My point was more so that having bill as the primary term (compared to something more culturally neutral, like bank note) for both the kanji on its own and the ~札 vocab leads to that confusion.

1 Like

You need to read the explanation, though.

Otherwise, you’ll rarely get the whole picture from just a word.

1 Like

i very much recommend using a browser add-on like 10ten reader. that allows you to just mouse over a word and get a dictionary entry.

WK’s definitions are mostly fine. but sometimes they miss important meanings, or the definitions lack subtlety. and rarely they’re just weird.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a bill or note, like a 100 dollar bill or a 20 pound note (both money). When pronounced one way, that is the meaning. When pronounced another, it means tag (like clothing brand/washing instructions) in the back of your shirt, etc. Possibly even price tag (on the clothing in the store).
(One reading is ふだ the other is さつ. WK separates the two by having one vocab with the ~ in front of it as a counter (for money, I believe) without, it is more like the receipt at the restaurant.)

I’m in Canada, where our English is sort of half-American, half-British, and usually goes with the British spelling. And “bill” means both a 5 dollar bill, and the bill at the restaurant. XD

So… there’s my answer for you. Was it 100% helpful? No, probably not. But I hope it was at least 50% helpful most of the time.

^_~

1 Like

Wait until you get to 飴

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.