時をかける少女: Week 8 Discussion (Chapters 12 and 13)

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

時をかける少女 home thread

Chapters 12 and 13: 四日前のあの現場へ/夜さまよう町かど

51lR3HyQf4L

Start Date: January 12th
Previous Chapters: Chapters 10 and 11
Next Chapters: Chapters 14 and 15

Vocabulary List

Floflo

Pre-learn the vocabulary in the book here:

https://floflo.moe/toki-wo-kakeru-shoujo-tsubasa-bunko-ed/

Vocab Sheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

When you keep meaning to catch up but even when you put the book on top of your alarm clock you still don’t notice it and remember to read ;-;
I’m like 6 or 7 chapters behind :sob:

11 Likes

Stop polling. Go read.

12 Likes

Imposhiburu

Yes sir T^T

Actually I’ve got schoolwork to do but I promise I’ll read a chapter after I finish it! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Did I win?

13 Likes

Don’t you always~

2 Likes

Well, no?

I had to check the next chapter title to make sure this was actually real :laughing:

I only just read chapter 11 last night, and I haven’t been rereading chapters lately D:

1 Like

:thinking:
It seems Sleepy姉ちゃん is winning with you now

Better than me, who hasn’t been reading it at all \o/

:woozy_face:

2 Likes

JOIN US

4 Likes

I’ll be caught up again tomorrow. Hopefully.

3 Likes

Good luck! :smiley:

2 Likes

Caught up! :tada:

8 Likes

I…um…
Cannot say the same \o/
But I’ve already decided that I WILL BE CATCHING UP WITHIN A WEEK no matter what so hopefully I’ll be there soon :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Alright, I’m gonna hold you to that!

2 Likes

Well last Saturday I was three chapters behind whereas this Saturday I’m only 1.5 chapters behind, so… I’m getting there! It’s really frustrating not being able to talk about the story :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

tsubasa bunko, page 69. "そうとしか考えられないね。”

I’m guessing that しか might be the ‘only, nothing but’ but then i’m not sure what could “そうと” be. Maybe it is one word, maybe it is something with ‘to’ particle. Could not find something that could fit.

page 74.

”おそろしさのあまり、足のすくんでしまったのだ。”

Not sure about the “のあまり”. It seems that it might be something like " dreadfulness … , because (her) legs froze(cramped) completely. " added because for the explanatory の. If it were used with a negative verb i would translate as ‘not much, not at all’, probably not this meaning though.

そう(that)と(if)しか(anything except of)考えられない(unthinkable) = If it’s anything except of that, it’s unthinkable = That must be it = That is the only possible explanation.

のあまり = because of too much

Because of too much fear, she was unable to run.

7 Likes

I know it was already answered, but this was asked on the week 1 thread as well, so I’m going to leave it here. If it helps complement the explanation all the better.

5 Likes

So following last week’s discussion, let me bring you another spoilery episode of

Sensei is suspicious

-“yes, I understand that feeling” (of not wanting to be considered as not human). … why?

• How does he know that the person she saw is a man?
  • Creating a time paradox does not seem like the best solution to the problem. Plus “oh? You hate your power? How about learning to use it?” That being said, learning to use it on purpose rather than accident is potentially a good idea…
  • I don’t think any metal beam is really falling. At least, I hope. That would be pretty sociopathic to drop it on a student just because they should be able to avoid it.

Edit:

My dumb theory
  • the person in the lab was sensei
  • the lavender thing is just an anesthesic
  • the shot sensei gave is actually what gave her powers
8 Likes
Spoilery Reply

I think he just meant he could understand the feeling in a sympathetic way, not from experience. And yeah, there was totally no beam :wink:
The man thing surprised me too, but I’m sort of assuming it’s the everyone-is-a-man-until-proven-otherwise 60s thing.

In other news my day-long headache finally cleared up and I read this week’s material. Yaaayyy!

7 Likes