時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

Welcome to 時をかける少女!

51lR3HyQf4L

Where To Buy

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4046310073
CD Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-539370

Amazon eBook: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00IUAYHXI
eBook Japan: https://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/243035/
Bookwalker: https://bookwalker.jp/de6292f341-cdb7-426e-b683-9ade176eef39/

Discussion Threads

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8
Week 9
Week 10
Week 11
Week 12
Week 13

Reading Schedule

Official Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter(s) Page Count
Week 1 November 24th • 理科教室の黒い影 5
Week 2 December 1st • ラベンダーのかおり 7
Week 3 December 8th • 地鳴りと震動 6
Week 4 December 15th • 夢と現実のあいだ
• きのうやった問題
Week 5 December 22nd • くるった火曜日
• 今夜まで待て!
Week 6 December 29th • パジャマを着ていた
• そのとき暴走トラックが……
Week 7 January 5th • 見つけた、”相談相手”
• 時間を跳躍すること
Week 8 January 12th • 四日前のあの現場へ
• 夜さまよう町かど
Week 9 January 19th • きのうへの旅、おとといへの旅
• ふたたび現場にきた
Week 10 January 26th • 侵入者はだれか?
• 未来からきた少年
Week 11 February 2nd • 西暦二六六〇年
• 意外な告白
Week 12 February 9th • 未来人・現代人
• その名はケン・ソゴル
Week 13 February 16th • 消された記憶
• いつか会う人

Accelerated Schedule (Declined)

In week 6 we will vote to decide if we should shift to this faster schedule.
Update 1/11: We voted against accelerating the schedule.

Possible Modified Schedule
Week Chapter(s) Page Count
Week 1 理科教室の黒い影 5
Week 2 ラベンダーのかおり 7
Week 3 地鳴りと震動 6
Week 4 夢と現実のあいだ
きのうやった問題
Week 5 くるった火曜日
今夜まで待て!
Week 6 パジャマを着ていた
そのとき暴走トラックが……
Week 7 見つけた、”相談相手”
時間を跳躍すること
Week 8 四日前のあの現場へ
夜さまよう町かど
きのうへの旅、おとといへの旅
Week 9 ふたたび現場にきた
侵入者はだれか?
未来からきた少年
Week 10 西暦二六六〇年
意外な告白
未来人・現代人
Week 11 その名はケン・ソゴル
消された記憶
いつか会う人

Vocabulary List

Floflo

Pre-learn the vocabulary in the book here:

https://floflo.moe/toki-wo-kakeru-shoujo-tsubasa-bunko-ed/

Vocab Sheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Set your participation status here

Finisher List

Let everyone know if you finished here

20 Likes

Given that you can use Floflo to pre-learn the vocabulary in the book, I want to know if there is still interest in using a Google spreadsheet.

• I would add words to a vocab sheet
  • I would look up words in a vocab sheet
  • I would not use a vocab sheet

0 voters

Love Floflo, but it’s not as easy to look up a word by page number if I want to refresh my memory… Plus I doubt I’ll be learning the 1000+ words I don’t know before we start, so I’m going to focus on high repetition words and would still use a spreadsheet for words I come accross while reading. Thanks for asking! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When we read 魔女の宅急便, it was really interesting that at the beginning of the book 10 pages per week was really hard, but by the end of the book it was really easy. For this reason, my proposed schedules accelerate the amount read throughout the book.

Page counts are approximate, but I tried to represent the pages of actual content, not including pictures. Both proposed schedules include three “ease-in” weeks where only one chapter is read per week (~5 pages per week), to help acclimate people who aren’t used to reading books. After week three, two chapters will be read per week (~10 pages per week). The slower schedule does this to the end of the book, while the faster schedule switches to three chapters per week (~15 pages per week) later on.

Proposed Slower Schedule
Week 1 理科教室の黒い影 5
Week 2 ラベンダーのかおり 7
Week 3 地鳴りと震動 6
Week 4 夢と現実のあいだ
きのうやった問題
Week 5 くるった火曜日
今夜まで待て!
Week 6 パジャマを着ていた
そのとき暴走トラックが……
Week 7 見つけた、”相談相手”
時間を跳躍すること
Week 8 四日前のあの現場へ
夜さまよう町かど
Week 9 きのうへの旅、おとといへの旅
ふたたび現場にきた
Week 10 侵入者はだれか?
未来からきた少年
Week 11 西暦二六六〇年
意外な告白
Week 12 未来人・現代人
その名はケン・ソゴル
Week 13 消された記憶
いつか会う人
Proposed Faster Schedule
Week 1 理科教室の黒い影 5
Week 2 ラベンダーのかおり 7
Week 3 地鳴りと震動 6
Week 4 夢と現実のあいだ
きのうやった問題
Week 5 くるった火曜日
今夜まで待て!
Week 6 パジャマを着ていた
そのとき暴走トラックが……
Week 7 見つけた、”相談相手”
時間を跳躍すること
Week 8 四日前のあの現場へ
夜さまよう町かど
きのうへの旅、おとといへの旅
Week 9 ふたたび現場にきた
侵入者はだれか?
未来からきた少年
Week 10 西暦二六六〇年
意外な告白
未来人・現代人
Week 11 その名はケン・ソゴル
消された記憶
いつか会う人

What are your thoughts on these schedules?

• Commit to the slower schedule (no adjustments later)
  • Commit to the faster schedule (no adjustments later)
  • Commit to the slower schedule for now, but vote on changing to the faster schedule later
  • Other (please give your proposed schedule)

0 voters

2 Likes

I think as we progress through the book, people will learn their preferred pace and be able to better decide whether they want to increase it.

5 Likes

I like the idea to start with this speed, and do a poll later to see what people feel like =)

2 Likes

This is my first time participating in this Beginner book club (I finally feel as confident in my vocabulary/kanji as in my grammar comprehension).

I joined FloFlo and started going through the vocabulary lists, but haven’t really read much of the book yet beyond the first 7-9 pages.

Floflo doesn’t seem to be working for me (in terms of being useful). There’s quite a few kanji and vocabulary I don’t know, but I’m a bit lost on how to optimize my use of FloFlo.

Maybe I should be looking in the other thread, but any tips for new book club members? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the Book Club :blush:

This is our first time reading a book that’s available on FloFlo, so I imagine it will be a new experience for all of us! What exactly are you finding isn’t ‘working’ for you?

Also, I haven’t even bought the book yet, so you’re way ahead of me there :joy:

1 Like

Ahh okay! I didn’t realize that this was the first time the beginner club was using FloFlo as well. I’ll just wait until we get the ball rolling with the story; then re-evaluate using FloFlo or not.

The power of eReading! My book came in the mail almost instantly, and for like $3 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is also my first time in a book club. So I am going to start off the newbe questions: When are we gonna start?

It’s in the thread title. :slight_smile:

I’m going to put up the full schedule in the next few days.

2 Likes

Managed to pick up a physical copy for £6 on Amazon which should hopefully arrive in time! I’m interested to see whether I work better with a physical book than I do with a digital one (and I’ve wanted to read this ever since I saw the movie like a decade ago, so I’m quite excited!)

3 Likes

Member list time!

Are you planning to read 時をかける少女 with us?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

If so, what version are you planning to read?

• Tsubasa Bunko physical book (link)
  • Tsubasa Bunko ebook (link)
  • Kadokawa Bunko physical book (link)
  • Kadokawa Bunko ebook (link)
  • Other (does this even exist?)

0 voters

1 Like

Hey, I’m trying to login to the japanese amazon site, but it says the password is wrong. I’m using the same password that I login in with to the USA site, I don’t understand why i can’t login. I tried to open a new user, but it says I have one already.
any one have an idea?

Hmm. You have to have different account for the different Amazons, so the fact that it says you have one already makes me think you must have set up an Amazon.co.jp account in the past, but using a different password from your US one?

I’ve never used the japanese one… I didn’t know you use different users for each amazon site, I only use the US one.

ok, I opened a new account, and I get this message when I enter the screen to buy the ebook:
“このタイトルは現在ご購入いただけません。初めてKindle本をご購入される場合は、「コンテンツと端末の管理」の設定から1-Click設定をおこなってください。”
I think they want me to activate 1-click option, right? I activate it in the account setting, under “1-Click 設定” but it still show me this message.
any help?

You need to change you address to a Japanese one, otherwise it won’t let you buy ebooks.

Here’s a very useful guide from one of our users on how to do this (side note: I think you can change amazon.jp language to English now, so it can make things easier, if you’re lost in all that Japanese :grinning:)

1 Like

thanks! I didn’t notice I could change it to english!
Now I see that it says the ebook version is not avialible, yet in japanese it says something with 1-click…
I can only see the paperback option, it suppose to have a ebook version, no?

The only way I could get Amazon JP to let me buy ebooks was to register a Japanese postage address on there - this was a while back though, and I switched to ebooksjapan as Amazon just wasn’t as easy to use (getting the kindle app to work on my phone is impossible!!)

I got the address from one of those postage services, where you register to be able to buy goods from Japan from places which don’t normally ship outside of Japan, and you pay postage fees to them whenever you buy something. Haven’t needed to actually use it for posting stuff yet, as since then everywhere I’ve needed to shop ships to the UK pretty reasonably!!