君の名は - Your Name (Intermediate Book Club)

Relative clauses are the things I struggle with the most when reading “book books”. Much less of a problem in manga since the sentences are usually much shorter and you have pictures to help you. So looking forward to get better at them with this book.

3 Likes

Don’t you, like, reade some comics for pictures though? Like superheroes comics and such, with huge fights. Those are mostly pictures and sound effects. Or some comics purely for the artstyle (“Sandman” fon one).

Sorry, I just really like comics as an art, and I pay a lot attention to the pictures… So…

2 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Totally agree with you! It’s like creative descriptions exsist to make language learners feel inadequate.

But we’re going to conquer those long sentences with persistence, Yomiwa and WaniKani book club community’s help!

3 Likes

I maybe started reading the book already, and noticed that the sentences are generally quite short and mostly inner or actual dialog-- so more similar to manga sentences. It’s a good transition book, I think.

1 Like

I used to sometimes read my brother’s Suske & Wiske, and Donald Duck.

For fightscenes I’d watch Dragon Ball Z, and those Batman/Spider-Man/Bikermice From Mars cartoons on tv.

Day barrier has been broken in Japan, so might as well post this now. And we are off!

Looking forward to the discussion!

14 Likes

Maybe )) Oh, that’s good to know. Now I’ll feel less afraid to start reading (I’m about to starts now, tbh)

Oh, I somehow didn’t think of cartoons considering comics. But yeah, they are out there, hehehe ) But cartoons rarely have memorable artstyles, espesially long-running ones (

I may be doing it wrong, but does anyone know of a way to get either a digital or physical copy in America? Amazon JP doesn’t allow kindle downloads in the US and won’t ship here, and BookWalker appears to be Japan only as well. This is my first time trying to buy a Japanese book from outside of Japan, but I feel like there must be some easy solution/I’m just missing something?

1 Like

there’s an extensive guide on purchasing from amazon. amazon.co.jp does ship to the US, but you need to use a jp vpn once to be able to download stuff.

1 Like

don’t use the same email you use for your amazon.com.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/buying-digital-japanese-books/10603/151

https://community.wanikani.com/t/how-do-you-purchase-on-amazon-jp/41145

Resources for Starting to Read Japanese Content ← buying book section

for bookwalker: I simply logged in with google and I’m not in Japan either.

Check ebay as well. I found an almost new copy within my country so the price/shipping was much less.

2 Likes

Bookwalker works outside of Japan as well, and is probably the easiest way to get a digital copy.

2 Likes

You can also try Kinokuniya for a physical copy.

1 Like

I finally figured out how to use bookwalker, and thank you guys so much for the information on kindle jp! Excited to join the book club :smile:

6 Likes

Hey @morteASD,
could you link the discussion thread of each week to the respective ‘Week X’ of the header of this thread? I think that might become handy for everyone :slight_smile:

~T :lion:

4 Likes

Hi - is this a manga or a novel/short novel? Just trying to figure out if I’ll have time to read along. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer in the comments! Not sure I’ll be able to keep up with it at this speed, though I certainly aspire to be able to one day haha. Enjoy the book guys!

6 Likes

Done! Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Just ordered the book from Amazon. Looking forward to joining one of these book club threads for the first time! The book should be here sometime next week so I’ll have a little bit of catching up to do. I had a bit of difficulty understanding the early parts of the movie so I hope I don’t get too muddled when faced with pure text.

9 Likes