Week 2

Start date: Feb 20th
Previous Part: Week 1
Next Part: Week 3

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 2 Feb 20th 無関心そうに平和に凪いでいた 31 14

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes

(For anyone reading the Tsubasa Bunko version, the reading ends on page 29, and it’s sixteen pages long.)

5 Likes

For anyone like me who’s still relatively new to novel reading and isn’t good at it yet, here’s a pace you can use if you read every day this week to keep on schedule:

Daily Schedule
Weekday Start End
Day 1 (start) ぶつり。
Day 2 鴨居のスピーカーが… 私たちは住んでいる。
Day 3 「みーつはー!」 …私の疑問を消し去った。
Day 4 ビニールハウスの… 聴衆も一斉に私を見る。
Day 5 「三葉、胸張って歩かんか!」 お前は誰だって、どういうこと?
Day 6 「……さん。次、宮水さん!」 「なんでもないってば」
Day 7 「うわ、ひでえ三みつ葉は! (end)

This pace averages about 780 characters (kanji/kana) per day.

8 Likes

I just read two pages a day. If there’s more than fourteen pages a week, I’ll read four pages for as many days is necessary to catch up. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Well, I guess that works, too =P

Since I’m digital, if I were reading on my e-reader, the page numbers wouldn’t be reliable enough for me. I don’t how it is with other e-readers software. (I use Kobo.)

But for this book, I extracted the pages from the EPUB, so I can use Yomichan in a browser, which means I’m reading without any page number guidance.

Here's an example of what that comes out looking like.

(I didn’t read that far yet. It’s just an example for the screenshot.)

Yeah, I probably do things the hard way, but this setup is the first one where I’ve actually been able to keep up with book club pace (after failing to do so with Mist and Kiki).

10 Likes

I’m reading the Tsubasa Bunko Version, but was unable to find the end on neither page 29 nor page 31.
Can someone give me a hint where it could be?

End Page 29

End Page 31

2 Likes

Well. We, uh, apparently have different Tsubasa Bunko versions, because (aside from anything else) mine has page numbers in the bottom corners.

That said, the sentence that ends page 29 for you is the line immediately before the end of this week’s reading. To be clear, mind, most of the readings won’t finish at the end of a page for any of the versions. Probably.

Heh. This is a book, not a movie, so the grand sweeping background music is only in her head.

4 Likes

Thanks for the hint, found it now! :slight_smile:
But weird that there are even differences in the tsubasa bunko versions … For the first part it ended perfectly on page 15, but the second part end at the start of page 30.
Well next time I’ll try to check the start of the page too I guess.

1 Like

Do you mind going into some detail as to how you did this? I used Calibre to extract a plain text file for use with Japanese.IO and the furigana got all jumbled up among the kanji… How do you get it to leave out the furigana?

1 Like

Well, this was a first. I came across a word whose meaning I couldn’t decipher even after looking it up in the J-E dictionary.

鴨居 (かもい)

Apparently it means “lintel”. Too bad I have no idea what that is in English either. :rofl: I needed a Google Image search to get the idea. It’s an architectural term that I’ve never heard of in any language. Somehow I think I’ll skip adding this one to my SRS.

3 Likes
Since I extracted the HTML files, I added some CSS to hide the furigana until I mouse over it.
rt {
  visibility:hidden;
}
ruby:hover rt {
  visibility:visible;
}

Screenshot_20210221_071206

With a Chromium-based web browser, if I open the HTML file and “select all” and copy the text, it copies without the furigana.

Another option is to do a regular expression in the find and replace window to strip out furigana.

Consider the following line:

<ruby>鴨<rt>かも</rt>居<rt>い</rt></ruby>のスピーカーが<ruby>沈<rt>ちん</rt>黙<rt>もく</rt></ruby>する。

And the following regular expression:

• Find: <rt>[^<]*</rt>
  • Replace:

Run this find and replace on the HTML files, and the result is:

<ruby>鴨居</ruby>のスピーカーが<ruby>沈黙</ruby>する。

When I looked this one up, and when seeing it in your post just now, both times I misread it as intel.

I had to look it up in English as well.

8 Likes

Clearly 鴨居 is a specific species of 鳥居. I wonder if there’s a… 梟居. Or, a… 鶯居.

But yes, a lintel is the top bar of a door frame. Google image search can often be useful in this sort of situation. :slightly_smiling_face:

word-kamoi-shikii_01

8 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. The word is undoubtedly more common in Japan then since I presume it’s mostly associated with 障子/引き戸 and the like.

I’ve never heard it used in English, and it seems to have a different usage entirely. If you search for the English word, you get mostly outdoor structures:

画像

Thanks for the insight!

2 Likes

And for a close-up view:

7 Likes

Back when I read this in English, I had no idea what the line about the “black kite” was.

I was imagining one of these.

Screenshot_20210221_143535

As it turns out, it's actually one of these (トンビ).

Screenshot_20210221_143550

That clears some things up for me.

On a related note, I’m finding the use of 俺 and 私 much easier to follow than the English version, which uses I and I.

14 Likes

Okay, I’m through! Puuh, this weeks text was waay longer than last!

Some sentences I didn’t understand:

この子はまだ乳歯も全部生え変わっていない子どものくせに、姉よりも自分の方がしっかりしていると断じている節がある。
This child has not even replaced all it’s milk teeth [??]…

I'm like really confused by this grammatically construction

AよりもB as well as Bの方 are comparisons. Why are both of them required?

私がしっかりしていると: This is a conditional, right? If I did I did things properly or so.

断じている節がある: I totally don’t get this one. What does 節 mean in this context? None of the translations seem to fit here…

唐突に、四葉が空気を読まない発言をする。「大人の問題!」ぴしゃりと、私は言う。そう、これは大人の問題なのだ。
What does 大人の問題 mean in this context? I mean literally it means Problems of adults or This are problems of adults. But what does this little ill-tempted younger sister want to tell us?

「あんたはもう、なんでもオカルトにしんめ!。。。」
How does this にしんめ work? What is the origin for this construction/ word?

「三葉、胸張って歩かんか!」
This かんか is surely weird dialect, but how exactly does it work?

「覚えとらんの?」
「髪はぼさぼさの寝癖で結んどらんし、制服のリボンもしとらんかったし、なんかずっと不機嫌やったし」
This とらん/どらん construction is unfamiliar to me. May someone give me a keyword for a grammar research? Or is it again strange dialect?

@ChristopherFritz , thanks for sharing this Idea! Maybe I’ll try this for my next book.

Thanks everyone,
~T :lion:

Ps: The background music is only playing in her head, right? This way it always gets adapted to her current mood, or so?!

6 Likes

I have time for a few.

A bit of a free form, but you get the gist maybe:

“Even though(くせに) this kid hasn’t even replaced all her baby teeth, she seems to have already concluded she’s better than her sister.” Not exactly better, per say, but like “having it all figured out” or something.

It’s not a conditional. The と is quoting what is being concluded with 断じている. 節(ふし)がある means something like “has a characteristic of”. Jisho has another example in the 4th definition: 節 - Jisho.org

「覚えとらんの?」

I think this is just dialectical “You don’t remember?”.

2 Likes

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but yeah the とらん/どらん is a dialect, so if I were to try to convert this sentence into more standard Japanese, it would probably be along the lines of 「髪はぼさぼさの寝癖で結んでないし、制服のリボンもしてなかったし、なんかずっと不機嫌だったし」

I think in their dialect they also use や instead of だ (e.g. やったし instead of だったし)

4 Likes

This is ておらない contracted and shortened.

7 Likes

AよりB and Bの方 are both essentially contractions of the AよりBの方 comparison. It’s emphasising the point. Adding in the も as well emphasises it more.

This one’s the quotation marker - 断じる = “to draw the conclusion that …”, so the と is marking the conclusion that is being drawn (i.e. 姉よりも自分の方がしっかりしている = “I’ve got it more together than my (elder) sister”.)

To be clear, this sounds like Mino-ben, one of the two dialects of Gifu. It’s near enough to Kansai-ben as to make no difference.

6 Likes