Week 1

Start date: Feb 13th
Previous Part: N/A
Next Part: Week 2

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 1 Feb 13th そしてたまらずに俺は叫んだ 16** 9

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

9 Likes

Hi!
I’m in the non-green-bordered paper version on page 15, and 四葉 says
「なにへぼけとんの?ごはん!早く来()ない!」
I’m not so hot at casual speech patterns, so I have questions:

1)The とん part I assume is maybe ている. Is this a regional dialect, or a common casual contraction?
2) I assume that きない is a dialectical version of こない. Where is it from? They say や instead of だ、like in Kansai, so maybe it’s Kinki?
3) Does she say 早く来ない as short for something like はやくこないとだめ, maybe?

3 Likes

It’s short for ておる, which is dialectal.

I assume this is short for きなさい. こない wouldn’t make sense, since that is negative.

11 Likes

Ah, that takes care of questions 2 and 3. Thanks!

4 Likes

I’ve been reading week 1’s content on and off for the last 2-3 weeks (1 page left to go) and I’ve found that I take roughly 50-60 minutes per page (because of how long I spend adding new words to Houhou SRS & double checking things) so I can only really do 1 page a day on top of all my other reviews. I’m already coming up on almost 100 reviews a day (because of all these new words) so I don’t think I’ll be attaining the required 2 pages a day to keep up with the club. Who knows, maybe things will get a bit easier.

Listening along with the audio book while I read it has really helped make things more enjoyable though, and I do plan on continuing at my own pace.

5 Likes

There are so many words I don’t know on the first pages, and yet it’s also easier to follow than the English release.

The 俺’s and 私’s don’t exactly translate to English, so the English version switches between bold and normal text to distinguish the two.

Hopefully this routine of “need to look up every other word” subsides for me after the first chapter!

9 Likes

I read the first two pages today and I’ll try to keep up with the base. I have to admit I did not bother too much understanding everything, since I think the beginning is pretty abstract. (It’s more like a foreshadowing thing I guess.)

On a side note:
A new word I learned today is
天井 - ceiling
This seems to appear pretty late on WK, but I think it could be useful. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeeah, I understood in some way, that the perspective is changed frequently here. But actually I really got it, when I listened to the audio book.
E.g. I totally did not understood the structure of 3-line-writing style of「俺 / 私はだれかひとりを、ひとりだけを、探している」until I heard it read simultaneously by both characters simultaneously :sweat_smile:

~T :lion:

5 Likes

For those who have seen the movie, I found (spoilers!) this article helpful for understanding the timeline a lot better. I also rewatched the first few scenes. After having a much better understanding of what’s actually happening I found the reading to be way easier.

If you haven’t seen the movie, know that the prologue is supposed to be very confusing and it would be tough to fully make sense of it even in your native language. Also, I envy you because you have a huge treat to look forward to if your reward for finishing the book is watching the movie for the first time.

8 Likes

Out of curiosity, how do they indicate that that one line is said by both characters? Since you can’t really print something in bold and not bold at the same time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
Thusly

Screenshot_20210213_003839

7 Likes

I think every week I’m going to make a post with all the words I made flash cards out of, then at the end I can go back and see if the number got any less.
Maybe a helpful idea for others too?

My List
  • 唐突
2 Likes

First question!
角川6

そのあまりの唐突さに、ほとんどなにを思う間もなく、涙がこぼれる。

I’m guessing from context this means something along the lines of “basically without a moment to think of anything” or “almost immediately”.

What’s the なに doing here? I expected it to be 何か so it threw me a little. Is it that (なに) is more like (なに?) -

…その(夢・感じ)が何だったのか思う間もほとんどなく…

Solution
2 Likes

Yeah, on Jisho it’s the second definition of “having no time to …; with no time to”.

Maybe it helps to think about taking the を思う間 away so the underlying construct is basically 何もない. ま is a kun reading for 間, so maybe you can think of it as a noun here. But this is a bit of a homebrew explanation; for me 何か just sounds wrong :man_shrugging: .

2 Likes

Thanks for that link. I hadn’t seen the movie and this helps a lot.

3 Likes

For anyone who hasn’t seen the the movie, and is wanting to avoid spoilers, chapter 1 will make more sense if (re)read between chapters 7 and 8. You can consider chapter 2 the real beginning of the story the first time around.

6 Likes

Hello! This is my first time following along with the Intermediate Book Club! I have already read through about 63% of the book but I am sure I missed a lot of nuances in the text. Can’t wait to read all of the questions and hopefully I can help answer some :slight_smile: !

10 Likes

I have absolutely no clue, what the first sentence means. Is it kind of dialect?
「もんでおくか。俺はすとんとそう思う。」

And this description of ‘his’ body was so exhausting :sob:
Soooo many unknown vocab…

4 Likes

Although I haven’t reached that part yet (I’m ahead of my daily schedule for reading, though!), looking at the line, I’d say:

()む (to knead; to massage) + て + おく + か

7 Likes

Oh, well… that makes total sense. I interpreted the で as particle and got confused.
Thanks a lot!

Ps: why is he using 「て+おく」 here? Should it not rather be 「もみたい」 or so? In my opinion, おく would implicate “I do it in order to be prepared in the future” or something like this…

3 Likes