可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie ❤️‍🩹 Week 9 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Welcome to Week 9 of the Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

kép

Week 9 February 10 2024
Pages 89-100
Chapter 12-13
Previous Week Week 8
Next week Week 10
Home Thread 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie

Vocabulary

可愛いだけじゃない式守さ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than tlhis one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

Handwritten Text

p90

kép
裏切り

p91

kép
着地地点確認
kép
大丈夫?

p97

kép
拒絶反応

p98

kép
完食

p99

kép
適量…?

p100

kép
ジュースに
あたった

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

5 Likes

Oops accidentally clicked a poll option while scrolling down :scream:

2 Likes

Oh good, found the undo button.

2 Likes

I can’t edit the vocab sheet on my phone, but for ch 13, I think 辛 (から) is supposed to be from 辛い and referring to “spicy”.

Edit:

Ch 13 Pg 97 (?)

The full sentence seems to be referring to the various flavours in that one rolled egg. 辛 (spicy), 苦い (bitter) や (and) 甘 (from あまい, sweet).

5 Likes

It looks like somebody already corrected it before I could get to it. But good find!

3 Likes

Welp, first appearence of the animal-named friend trio in this chapter, and the first step from episodic to story arc. (Also the first hint towards Shikimori’s given name in that Nekozaki calls her “Micchon”. Can’t recall if I’ve ever seen what her name actually is, but maybe I just wasn’t paying attention. Not… not that Nekozaki gets named in this chapter either. :stuck_out_tongue:)

If anyone’s wondering why they’re throwing soybeans all around the classroom in chapter 12, this is a Setsubun tradition. (As is the 鬼は外 line which opens the chapter.)

5 Likes

I’ve encountered in the first couple of pages at least three vocab words/phrases that I recently learned in WK lessons. Love it when that happens!

8 Likes

Indeed. I visited Japan in 2018 about a week after unlocking 食べ放題 on WaniKani, walked into a restaurant, and the hostess goes “This place is 食べ放題”.

4 Likes

Did they really switch to Japanese in the middle of the sentence? I can imagine you eminating “yes I speak Japanese thank you very much” energy.

2 Likes

No, I’m paraphrasing. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sorry, but this is now canon

4 Likes
p.90

覚悟の上だっつーの!

What’s this supposed to mean? “I’m on top of it! / I’ve got it covered!” Something like that? It seems really casual, no idea how this would break down.

p.92, story spoiler, end of chapter 12

The gag here is that Izumi and Shikimori both look like red-headed demons, because of their collision? And the boys comment that this would be a good reason to throw heaps of beans at them?

p. 96

絆創膏があんなに
This is Izumi seeing the bandaid’s on Shikimori’s fingers and feeling guilty that he’s the cause of her falling? “[She got her] bandaids that way.” (?)

ぺっしてください
Some Googling seemed to suggest this means “Spit it out, please.” Could someone confirm? I got no hits on Jisho or ichi.moe.

1 Like
p90

「覚悟の上(かくごのうえ)」の意味や使い方 わかりやすく解説 Weblio辞書
Essentially knowing what could go wrong, but still going along with it

“I’m ready for it!”

p92

Setsubun in Japan - Expeling Demons by Throwing Beans - Globalkitchen Japan

Essentially, yes

p96

Not quite, we are already past that. Shikimori, for the lack of a better word, s**** at cooking. She cut herself, while making the food. So Izumi goes “She injured herself that much just to make this”, and that’s why he starts guzzling the food down that’s obviously not good.

Comes from this:
Jotoba word: ペッペッ
Or maybe reversed? Who knows, but yeah, spitting

2 Likes

Thanks as always. Very helpful!

1 Like

I feel like we’ve gotten into the comfortable part of the book clubs, where most questions are answered (and some sadly don’t continue along with us) so this was quite a quiet week. That being said, let’s go over to the next one, shall we?

5 Likes

I’m late, but I’ve read the 2 chapters !

I have a quick question if someone is still ready to answer :pray:
Fortunately, @Till has already asked some questions of interest for me ^^

p.94

本当なんでもできちゃうんだな式守さん
What is this form in -chau that I often see ?

2 Likes
p.94

It’s this grammar point: てしまう・ちゃう (日本語能力試験 N4) | Bunpro
“to do completely” or “to do accidentally” . ちゃう is the more casual version of てしまう.

2 Likes

Thank you, I searched it before on Bunpro but I didn’t find it :sweat_smile: Guess I’ve got to accelerate a little my grammar studies ^^

2 Likes

I can see this being hard to search for if you encounter ~ちゃう more often than ~てしまう and you don’t know that they have the same meaning. Glad I could help! :grin:

2 Likes

Oops, catching up on this club. I like finally learning something Shikimori is bad at.

I’ve noticed this too that ーちゃう ーてしまう is suuuper common but gets taught kind of late in textbooks and so on. I still haven’t ‘officially’ covered it in my own grammar studies.

1 Like