可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie ❤️‍🩹 Week 5 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Welcome to Week 5 of the Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

kép

Week 5 January 13 2024
Pages 39-54
Chapter 7-8
Previous Week Week 4
Next week Week 6
Home Thread 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie

Vocabulary

可愛いだけじゃない式守さ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than tlhis one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

Handwritten Text

p40

主に
不幸体質

p42

生涯契約で…

p43

似てるね。

p46

また和泉か!!
さっきまdえ
男女別だった
和泉を
囲む

ハイ!!

次のコーナー
生き延びるぞ

ありがとう…

p47

あぶないよ!!

p52

和泉SP達

p53

スキーウェア

p54

ありがとう〜
和泉SP

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

9 Likes

That Chibi-Shikimori is cute. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I still only get the gist of each panel, but I see grammar studying helps! At least I think it does

8 Likes

Question on the acronym used on page 46.

p46

What does SP stand for?

2 Likes
p46

Jotoba word: SP

don’t be scared of putting these latin acronyms into dictionaries, they tend to have them

2 Likes
p46

Thanks. So I guess, it would be shore patrol in that context?

1 Like
Pg. 46

I would say special police/security police because they are behaving like the Secret Service for Izumi, surrounding and protecting him.

Though I guess shore patrol does similar things, given they are essentially military police. :thinking:

6 Likes
p46

This, security police is what I vote for

4 Likes
While SPみたい may not be so obvious, SP are when you see them.

Sometimes furigana helps disambiguate.

(In this case, it’s a Christmas special on TV.)

3 Likes

雪投げよーぜ

2 Likes
Page 39

A summary of all panels since text is brief. Shikimori and Izumi standing with reverence somewhere, lots of other people around talking (がや がや). Izumi looks over at Shikimori, smiling, and says よし–I guess he’s saying “all right/ok,” as in “let’s go”. But then he sees her still bowing and looks a bit surprised.

Page 40

Panel 1
式守さん 何をあんなに 一生懸命お願いしてたの?
Shikimori what were you wishing so hard for?

Panel 2
Shikimori - エッッ ヒ。。。ヒミツ。。。です
Eh?! (not sure what the dakuten next to the エ is) – that’s a secret!

Panel 3
Shikimori (thinking) - 珍しく焦ってる。。。それに今日なんか埋もれてるなぁ。。。カワイイ。。。
unusually flustered… also keeping something like that hidden today …cute

Panel 4
Shikimori - 和泉さんは何を?
Izumi what’s up/what are you doing?

Izumi - ぼく?家族と式守さんの安全かなぁ
Me? (then to himself?)–I wonder if Shikimori and her family are safe [not sure about this…]

Panel 5
Shikimori - 自身のことを お願いしたほうがいいんじゃ。。。[主に不幸体質]
You’d better wish for your own things…[mainly unhappy nature – background thought??]

Izumi - laughs

Panel 6
Izumi - ぼくの悪いことは もういいんだ
Enough about my bad stuff already…

Shikimori - え。。。
eh…

2 Likes
p39

It’s not really that she’s still bowing, but that she’s concentrating really hard on whatever she’s praying about. Hence the text on the next panel.

p40

Those generally just show that the pronunciation was modified somewhat. Specifically with ぁ゙, it’s the “ah-” sound when you’re surprised. Ruri seems to have one, and thankfully that has a voice over:
https://youtu.be/YXZrI4fMh_I?si=rFGN1vpWBDwWPVOS
(Watch till like 11 seconds)

So tldr, some kind of change to pronunciation, probably “eh-”

It’s Izumi thinking.

Remember the context, they are talking about what Shikimori was praying about.

Now she asks “Izumi, what about you? [What did you pray about?]”

Here 家族 is Izumi’s family, and 家族と式守さん is “My family and Shikimori-san”. So he was praying for the safety of his family and Shikimori.

I’d rather say it’s something like “wouldn’t it be better to wish for something for yourself?”

As for the handwritten text, it’s just a joke to the audience, or something akin to that, and 不幸 here is probably misfortunate.

More like "My bad stuff is already dealt with (but this will be more obvious next panel)

5 Likes

Specifically, they’re engaged in 初詣. We know this because last chapter was Christmas. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Mostly fine but a couple of lines that threw me a little:

Page 41

守られてばっかで情けないのは直したいけど…

The のは threw me in this case a little as well and the で conjugation. I’m assuming it’s something like:

The thing I would like to fix is not being pathetic because you’re always protecting me but…

Page 52

アイツに付き合える式守さんがスゲーよ…

This I get the overall meaning but struggling with the subject. I initially thought the 付き合える was potential, but I’m guessing it’s passive? So Izumi is the subject given the previous line? That is:

Being the one (Izumi) who Shikimori hangs around with is amazing.

4 Likes

It’s just acting as “and” here.

What’s wrong with potential form? One of the joys about Japanese is that the particles tell you what function a word is playing in the sentence. The subject is marked with the subject marker が, and that’s 式守さん. The main clause is 式守さんがスゲーよ = “Shikimori-san is amazing”. アイツに付き合える is a subordinate clause which modifies 式守さん - “Shikimori-san, who is able to go out with that guy”. Perhaps with a subtext of “able to tolerate going out with”.

5 Likes

Nothing wrong, just my uncertainty. Thanks for the clarity.

1 Like
Page 40

I would say this one is more like “Wouldn’t it be better to wish for yourself?”, and then the other part is “Mainly your bad luck”. She’s either saying that he should wish for his own safety because of his bad luck, or that he should wish for his bad luck to go away. I lean towards the second one.

So I’ve just found this book club, I’m trying to catch up now!

This is my first time attempting to read native material and I’m honestly shocked I’m able to understand it? What an incredible feeling! I’m only 2 chapters in, but I’m so excited to read more. Looking forward to catching up with you all!

15 Likes
Page 45

Panel 1
校外学習でスキー合宿に来た
We came to a ski-lodge for a field trip
3日目 自由時間
Three days of free time…
Izumi - うわー!!!
ooohwaaaa!!! (falling down after hitting snowman)

Panel 2
Izumi - うぅ。。。どうしてこんな所に雪だるまが。。。
uhh…why is there a snowman HERE (“here” emphatic, as in “in a place like this”)

Panel 3
フフ ーIzumi lightly laughing at himself

Panel 4
Shikimori - ケガしてないですか和泉さん
Are you okay, Izumi?

Page 46

Panel 1
Izumi - それにしても

Shikimori - 和泉さん 全く上達してないじゃないですか
Izumi, you haven’t improved at all have you? [what is the function of じゃない here? Isn’t it redundant?]

Panel 2
Izumi - だって
But… (this is the “you say that…” grammar point, which often means “but” in contxt)

Panel 3
(background texts):
また和泉か!!
Again, Izumi!
さっきまで 男女別だった
until a moment ago were separated by gender
和泉を囲む
Izumi is surrounded
ハイ!!
yes!
Izumi:
次のコーナー生き延びるぞ
I’ll make it through the next corner

スキー板はなぜか折れるし
My skis are breaking,

コースからは外れるしリフトは故障するし。。。
I’m going off the course, the lift breaks down…

あれ和泉さんが 乗ってたんですか。。
Is that what Izumi was riding? [I don’t get how this fits]

最終的には インストラクターさんと班の皆が SPみたいになった。。。
finally, the instructor and everyone in the group became like the Ski Patrol…

Shikimori - あぁ
ah…

Panel 4
Shikimori - じゃあ今からでも私と練習しましよ!
Well starting now let’s practice together!
いくらでも 付き合いますよ
getting together as often as you like!

Panel 5
優しい - so kind!
Izumi - ありがとう - thank you…

that page was a dooooozy…

1 Like

Shikimori’s laughing at Izumi.

Page 46

It’s the “have you” in your translation.

You need to read them along with the bubbles in page order. They’re illustrations for the conversation that’s going on.

It’s 囲め. Imperative form. “Surroud Izumi!!”

That one’s also the SPs. “We’ll make it”

It’s something like “You were riding it when that happened?”. Shikimori remembered the lift breaking down (because they’re both at the same place) but was unaware he was on board at the time (because the class was separated by gender, meaning she was somewhere else on the slope).

6 Likes