Week 4 May 27 2023
Pages 57-72
Chapter 4 (first half)
Previous week Week 3
Next week Week 5
Home Thread ロジカとラッカセイ ・ Rojica and Rakkasei
Last frame of page 72

Kindle_2023-05-25 23.44.25.112

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Beginner Book Club.

6eea3ec6-75cc-410a-bce2-75c143d0124d

Vocabulary Sheet

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

The page numbers for ebook readers might be off by one or two. Some pages have physical page numbers on them, and you can use that to find out much off it is for you!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished

0 voters

For our participants who have never read anything harder: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option

0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

9 Likes
Spoiler

Rakkasei doing a @MrGeneric impression:

Kindle_2023-05-25 23.49.59.183
Kindle_2023-05-25 23.50.07.217

17 Likes
Spoiler

It is taking everything in me to not just download and read Volume 2 in one shot this weekend. :joy:

That is a very accurate panel.

10 Likes

So I just ended up reading the whole chapter, couldn’t bear to leave it in the middle. You guys are tainting me.

11 Likes

I got past the halfway mark before I realised were only reading a half chapter. Oops.

I’ll probably read ahead anyway.

10 Likes

Haha same… I didn’t read the thread carefully enough to know we’d finish halfway through :sweat_smile: My fault.
But honestly, I don’t even know how you could stop there. This chapter was again very interesting. (spoiler-free)

8 Likes

I didn’t think I would need to do this again after Komi-san, but here’s the best transcription I can get from Rojica’s diary:

2月6日
きょうはひるねを
5じかんした。
さすがにこういい
2月7日
もりでりんごを(たべた)
きもすぎたの(で?...)
(?)もゅうでくっ...
もうれつにはらが...
いたくなりない...
5月12日
じめんちほったらへ...
ラッカとなげてあ?ん...

らくがき
   コーナー

わん
            とてもだいじ

うに   たべ
           れる
          らしい
       しんじ
         がた
    ほしいもの
        ひんぴょ

Small spoilers for the above text

Somehow we managed to put the first week of the book club onto the same week that it actually happened. May 12th. That’s nuts.

Also

Love the cat that says わん, my humour must be completely borked, because I just laughed at that detail

10 Likes

Me too :smile: Read the whole chapter, so I guess I have some time free next week.

Quite :joy:

I also laughed at that. Or is it yet another sign that their world is slightly different from ours :thinking:

4 Likes

Also read the whole chapter, so I’ll take a break next week :sweat_smile:

Rakkasei has such cute facial expressions! :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Gosh, who reads ahead…honestly… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Lol I had all kinds of theories about what ひんぴょ could mean after googling around and then it was explained a page later anyway hahah

Page 59

何も思いつかんまま 前日になってしまった
I can’t quite figure out what the “前日になってしまった” is doing here?

Based on context I would guess something like “I can’t think of anything, the day before became the same way”.

Page 64

ひんぴょといえば十中八九こいつでしょ
It’s saying something about probability apparently, but I am not sure what this relates to.

So far, I really liked this chapter. I couldn’t really connect to the last one so I didn’t write anything last week, although it was very interesting to read through all of your thoughts about it.

5 Likes
p59

It just means “It became the day before”. 前日 is “previous day, eve”. The complete thing is “As I couldn’t think of anything, the day before [Rojica’s birthday] arrived”.

p64

I think it means something like “When talking about Hinpyo, 8-9 times out of then, it’s this”

8 Likes

Hopefully this links properly:

On a separate note, does anyone else find しーさん a bit creepy? Though I suspect that’s intended.

7 Likes

I sure hope it means 8 or 9 cases out of 10, and then it turns out this is the one case where ひんぴょ is just like a cake

5 Likes

Thank you SO MUCH for that! Don’t feel like trying to deciphering any handwritting Japanese at all yet, it’s hard enough when I can already “read” it :x

Can't see what makes you say that!

He looks like he’s watching you now though

And finally I have one question for this week’s reading:

Page 61

ひじきの行列かよ
I have no idea what this says, can someone breaks it down for me?

7 Likes
Pg. 61

I wasn’t 100% certain, but I think it’s a comment on the terrible penmanship, saying it resembles a bunch of ひじき:

9 Likes
p61

Search up a picture of hijiki seaweed.
Then you’ll see how right before she comments on how dirty/messy his handwriting is, so in this ひじきの行列かよ she’s kind of comparing his handwriting to a line of hijiki.

At least that’s what I think.

ひじき = hijiki seaweed
の = particle
行列 = line
か = question
よ = emphasis

8 Likes
meirl

3 Likes

And it’s time for the second half of this chapter!

7 Likes