ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 4

I have a very simple method to avoid being able to read ahead by too much, I’m not perfect:

3 Likes

If only it worked for me. :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

So are there perchance some books in there that you don’t actually read? I’m really hard on myself in this case, if I don’t read a book for a week or I’m utterly bored of it, it either goes into the 読みたい collection, or none at all

3 Likes

Nah, I have one in there that is a much slower read right now than the book clubs, but I’m actively reading all of these at least once a week/week and a half. :joy:

I do forget to update Natively sometimes though… I know I’m further in 青ブタ than Natively thinks I am, since I tend to read that one while on transit and such, so I forget to update it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Meanwhile, I’m reading 2, but still struggling to get myself to stop being lazy :pensive:

sn

4 Likes

Aww I hope things get better! You could always catch back up when things get back to normal for you!

5 Likes

I’m a little bit late this time around but hopefully my attempt is still useful (and I can get some of my questions answered).

Pg. 36

今日一日で話したことない。クラスメイト全員と話したかも = I haven’t talked so much in one day before, I might have even talked to all my classmates

I think this is literally saying “today, in one day i have not talked. i might have talked with all my classmates”. The first clause is throwing me off because I can’t tell if it’s referring to talking in general or talking to someone specific (like “I haven’t talked to you all day” / “We haven’t talked all day”)

それは…いいことじゃない? = Isn’t that a good thing?
ルリもっと人と話した方がいいよ。苦手なのは分かるけど = It’s good that you talk with more people. Though I get that it’s hard to deal with
せっかく高校入れたんだし = Especially because we were able to enter high school

I don’t understand why 入る is in the potential here, I would have expected passive

はい、ルリの分 = Here, for you (lit. “Yes, Ruri’s part”)
嫌だ~ = Don’t wanna~
__
I imagine she’s replying “but I don’t want to talk (to them) so much” just in a more succinct way

Pg. 37

そういえばツノ以外は体に変化はないの? = That being said, excluding the horns, are there other changes to your body?
んーないなぁ = Don’t think so
ふーん、何でツノだけ生えたんだろね = Hmm, I wonder why only horns grew then
そういや、確かに = Come to think of it, surely…
ツノが生えただけだな = Only horns grew right
父親がドラゴンと言う割にツノ以外ただの人間だな = Despite my dad being a dragon, except for the horns I’m an ordinary human
もっと他に色々… = Maybe there will be more stuff

Really unsure about what to do here. The trailing off can usually be matched with trailing off in English but here it feels like there’s too much missing. By itself it would say something like “More various other things…” but it just doesn’t connect to the previous sentences at all that way. So the best I can do is insert some extra things in the English to hopefully make it make sense.

Pg. 38

へぐっ = Achoo!
大丈夫?= You ok?
うぇ~、汗で冷えたかも = Eugh, I might have cooled down from sweating

Pg. 39

青木眠いかぁ!? = Aoki! Sleepy are you!?
えあっ!?はい!すみませ……? = Eaugh!? Yes! Sorry…?
寝グセ = Bed head
てかお前何でツノ生えてんだ = Or rather, why do you have horns growing?

I assume the てか here is actually ってか short for っていうか but I don’t get why the small つ is missing here. I can’t find anything on a てか without it. Also, this ん must be の but it confuses me why 生える is in the て form. I’m gonna lean on my linguistics background here and allow myself to translate it with “growing” instead of “grown” because present continuous in English can also be stative depending on the verb used. But it could also be translated with “having grown” I think, I just don’t feel like that sounds very good here.

あえ…それは = Uh, about that…
よし青木続き読むか = Right, Aoki will continue reading then
え゛嫌だ = Eh, don’t make me…
ど…どこ = Wh-where?
28P = Page 28

Pg. 40

立ってだぞ = Stand up

Can someone explain what exactly the だ is attaching to here? It doesn’t make sense to me for it to attach to て form.

ひぃぃ~ = Uuuu~

Pg. 44

えっ、何今の = Eh, what was that just now?
火!? = Fire!?
え…あっつ = Eh, hot
おい何だ今のは = Oi, what was that now
青木が火吹いた = Aoki breathed fire

Pg. 45

ちょっ、ルリ!? = Wai-, Ruri!?
何今の、大丈夫!? = What was that now, are you alright!?
あっ…っ = Ah- (Ruri struggling to speak, just making a strangled sound)
!?わ゛ = Wah!? (A surprised scream, probably a little longer than just a single character)

Pg. 46

うぁ… = Wa…
えっ!!? すごい血、大丈夫!? = Eh!!? So much blood, are you okay!?
げほっ、げほっ、…あ゛ノドが = *cough* *cough*, ah, my throat
だだ大丈夫、全然ちょっと熱いだけ = I-I’m ok, it’s just a little hot is all
全然大丈夫じゃないって = I don’t think it’s alright at all!
へ… = Hehh
ちょっと = Wait-

Pg. 47

っとここか = Is it here?
遅くなりました、青木です = Sorry for arriving late, it’s Aoki

I know it doesn’t actually have an apology but I can’t hear the announcement of “I got here late” as anything other than an implicit apology.

Pg. 48

あ、来た = Ah, you came
うおっ、ルリ何してんの = Whoa- Ruri, what are you doing?
先生とフレ交換してたゲームの = I exchanged friend codes with the nurse in this game

Wasn’t sure whether to go with doctor or nurse here. Usually schools here have nurses on hand not full blown doctors and I’m unsure whether 先生 is also used for nurses in Japan. I don’t think this is teacher here though. Also フレ交換する gave me trouble but my first guess was ‘friend’ for the フレ part. I know Japanese likes to shorten everything so this is just what makes the most sense. I’m not sure about the sentence structure though. Why is ゲームの at the end and where would it normally be if following more strict word order? Is that の the explanatory の or possessive の?

ありがと~ = Thank you~
あの…娘が火吐いたそうで… = Um, it seems my daughter breathed fire…
らしいです = So I’ve heard
遅くなってごめんね。大丈夫だった? = Sorry for arriving late. Were you ok?

Pg. 49

大丈夫に見える? = Do I look ok?
…見えない = You don’t
そりゃそっか、火吐いたもんな = Well that makes sense, that you breathed fire
…まだノドが龍じゃないんだ = Your throat still isn’t that of a dragon’s
そっか、…ごめんね、遅くなって = I see, I’m sorry, for being late

I read this as having a double meaning. She’s not just apologizing for being late to show up to the school she’s apologizing for being late to tell her about being half dragon too

お騒がせしてすみません = I’m sorry to have bothered you

This is like an expression, right? Formal expressions are always difficult for me because of their literal translations. Although this one is confusing me more because of せして than anything else. Would anyone mind breaking down this expression for me?

いえいえ = Don’t worry about it
今日は連れて帰ります = I will take her home with me for today

5 Likes
pg 36

Your translation is spot on. It’s about talking in general. It isn’t clear, but we can probably infer based on how her friend tells her it’s good that she is talking more. It’d be weird for her to say it’s a good thing if Ruri said they haven’t spoken all day.

It’s more like “It’s better for you to talk to more people. Though I get you’re not that good at it”
苦手 has a bit more of a flexible definition

I’m going to have to skip answering this one because I have no clue what that means :sweat_smile:

Yeah, she’s replying to the talking part, but opening her mouth to eat

pg 37

“…Now that I think about it, that’s true”
確かに has quite a few ways to be used and this is one of them. Kind of like an agreement

kinda nitpicky but she isn’t asking for confirmation, more like change “right” to “,huh”

rather than will be, i interpreted it as “there should’ve been”. She’s saying there should be some more dragon features on her

pg 38

rather, she got cold from sweat

pg 39

Your big grammar words scare me. I wouldn’t use growing though, I think it’d be okay to just say “Or rather, why did horns grow (on you)?”

“Don’t make me” is a bit odd. It’s just like “I don’t wanna”

pg 40

だ can mean “do”. And with ぞ you can tell he’s adding emphasis, a command

pg 48

Nurse is probably right, but most people know what Sensei is so might as well use that. It is friend, yes.
Now the の, I could see it as both. I’d translate it as “In the game” so in that case, possessive makes sense, but also explanatory would also make the same sense. In all honesty, it doesn’t really matter, you don’t need to stress over every minor grammar thing, learners tend to know all the weird tiny rules of grammar, and a Japanese person doesn’t. I get everyone has their own way of learning, but I genuinely think sometimes just leave it be and say it’s the way it is, because that’s just the way it is.

ゲームの is said more like an afterthought. “I exchanged friend codes with the nurse. In the game”
This is very common, you will often see words said like that.

pg 49

Interesting. I think you’re right, I didn’t notice that when I read it tbh.

It’s more like sorry for the disturbance in general, kind of like an apology to the school

お騒がせしてすみません

お騒がせ - Apparently this is imperative. I don’t know what that means, but you probably do
して - Connecting the two words
すみません - sorry

That’s the best I can do. I don’t think it’s an expression though, never heard of it, but maybe it is, who knows, probably doesn’t matter either.

if i didn’t answer a question properly just ask it again so someone else can answer because not everyone is going to read all this for no reason lol.

Also don’t worry about asking questions later in the week, that’s why we have all this time. We set the thread to watch anyway, we are watching you :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Made it halfway through and next week I am again falling behind :sweat_smile:

First time I really had problems with the understanding. I couldn’t really comprehend what was going on p.36. Not a question, just a bit of context

p.36

The first bubble with two time objects and how they relate together was a real mystery to me. Or who the heck was talking about or with who. This was really complicated and I couldn’t figure it out. After looking here for the translation and more insight about Ruri herself it made more sense but the sentences still seem hard. Maybe I have to look at that page another day

Something I longer wondered about:

p.39

てかお前何でツノ生えてんだ
This is only an example. The translation is something like - “Why are you growing horns?/What is with this horns?” But in japanese often context is added. Like here I would add “Why are you growing horns on your head/What is with this horns your head”?
I also saw it here and even deepl suggested it in some of the translations.

So I am wondering, is it free to your own interpretation? Is it because you “see” it in this case, cause Ruri has those on the head? Japanese often omits some vocabulary and I guess there is not a rule to it and you have to translate it what feels best?

2 Likes
p36 Though not a question, I'll try to explain a bit

Maybe putting in the omitted は particle could help

今日は一日で話したことない

The first 今日 is the actual date of the conversation, “today”. 一日 however has a で particle after it, which is a somewhat all over the place particle, but generally speaking, it shows the way something was done. For example, here the “not talking” lasted for an entire day, so “一日で”.

p39

This is actually page 39, not 41

It’s not like Japanese is the only language omitting context or words. But why would the head be needed there? Where else would horns grow? Heck, if I saw someone with horns, I’d go one step beyond and straight up just ask “hey, what’s up with those?”. Absolutely all context cut out of that one.

3 Likes

Things definitely took a turn for the dramatic this week.

I wouldn’t say I’m a massive fan of them. They just taste kinda sour to me. Most berries do.

2 Likes

But you’re a cat

3 Likes

Well, pretending for a moment that I actually do resemble my avatar, I’m a bit perplexed as to why that should mean I like berries. Surely the reverse should be true?

If you’re not a person “no such person exists” doesn’t apply

Edited page number, my bad.

p39

You know as I am reading your post I see what you mean and it makes a bit more sense. But I feel that japanese is still more extreme in that regard. If I think about the languagues I can read, speak and write, e.g. German as mothertounge, the “head” particle in this example sentence is just missing.
On the other side if I think back to my school days and about Latin there were also missing words frequently. So you had to translate latin also through context.
Guess I have to keep it in mind.

2 Likes
p39

What do you mean exactly by “head particle”?

2 Likes
p39

Particle was the wrong expression. As you said where should horns grow? So the word/vocabulary (which I meant, not particle) head is missing but this you can translate more freely - or in relation to the context :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just some extra details mostly.

Pg. 36

Entering high school is not guaranteed in Japan. Compulsory education only goes through middle school, and you have to pass exams to enter high school. Most kids do go to high school, of course, but there’s always the chance of not being able to pass the exams.

Pg. 37

I think you’ve got it. I would basically insert something like an ある as the missing verb from her trailing.

I might word it more like, “More things… (implied: may happen/may present themselves)” just to keep it a bit closer to the original phrasing, but it gets you to the same spot regardless.

Pg. 39

Jisho lists てか as another form of ってか.

I think by this point, it’s pretty safe to just assume stative for 生えてる in regards to the horns. It’s been stative every time in the manga so far with them. :wink:

Don’t fall into the trap of trying to make English sound good to interpret the Japanese, just as a gentle warning. It will make understanding things much more difficult. There’s a reason why I actually tend to advise against doing these kinds of in-depth translations long-term. Understanding the Japanese as it stands will net you more gains in the end (of course, ask questions on things you don’t understand, but translating line-by-line will hinder more than help as you get further, imo).

Regardless, the awkward phrasing that maintains the Japanese, “Or rather, why are you in a state of having horns grown?”

But if pressed to translate it, of course I wouldn’t leave it like that, and just naturally word it, “Hold on, why have you grown horns?”

Pg. 40

Just to kind of give more detail on HaseebYousfani’s answer here, だ can also be an auxiliary verb that even without the ぞ is a light imperative: “please do ○○”. The ぞ is even heavier as an imperative, making it a harsher command.

Pg. 49

This is something that you can actually translate quite literally. I don’t know if it’s a set expression or not. Regardless, my breakdown:

お = politeness marker

騒がせる = to trouble, it’s in stem form, then has する in て form to connect it to the すみません. て form is often used for connecting to things like that. You’ll see it to connect to ありがとう, よかった, 助かった, etc. Just as a heads-up, it is not imperative in this case, @HaseebYousfani. Imperative would be if they were giving a command. It’s just 騒がせる in 連用形 (continuative/stem) form. I’m not 100% on why it would be put into stem instead of straight into て form in this case, which does make me think it might be an expression that I’ve just not seen before.

すみません = sorry

I like to basically word this overall construction “xx for ○○”, where xx is what is being connected to, and ○○ is the verb in て form.

Overall, with a very polite tone thanks to the お, “I’m sorry for the trouble.”

4 Likes

I don’t like strawberries either. I am human…

Thanks for the correction, and answering what I couldn’t. I didn’t really know what imperative meant, I was just reading what it said in yomichan since I wouldn’t have been able to explain it. But now that I look at it again, your answer was right under what I read initially lol.

2 Likes
Pg. 49

It might also be an expression, but it’s in stem form because it uses the humble form お〜する.

お騒がせしてすみません:

So, “I’m sorry for humbly troubling (you).”

5 Likes