ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 8 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

About 50/50. Some of it he does say to get a rise out of him (he mentions taking the bait once), but he’s also a doofus

4 Likes

Ok, I read the last three pages during lunch break and whatever is said here sounds much more important.

If I understand correctly, Ishi realises that Hori and Miya didn’t suddenly get closer. This has been going on for a while. He ask Miya if he (Ishi) can ask her out. Arguing that, one way or another, she’ll have to choose. (The usage of 決める here sounds… weird).
I assume Ishi is going to be the catalyst that will make them realize that they are actually falling for each other <3

2 Likes

Not quite. The last panel/bubble is Miyamura saying it’s Hori’s right to choose, (and it’s not up to Miyamura). You can tell because Toru refers to 堀 without the honorific, whereas Miyamura almost always sticks to the honourific.

3 Likes

Noooo it’s our worst foe, the arrowless speech bubble again !

That makes more sense indeed, since Ishi asked Miya if it was ok for him to ask Hori out.

2 Likes

In addition to what @Jintor said, he isn’t asking Miyamura to ask her out for him (that didn’t work with someone else, rember?). He’s asking if it’s ok, if he’s gonna confess to her. “I’m gonna confess, but is that ok?”

Also Ishikawa doesn’t realize that it’s not sudden, Miyamura says himself, that it’s been going on for a while.

I wouldn’t translate 決める as choose here, rather decide (if she would want to go out with Ishikawa)

2 Likes

Yeah, the first bit I had right (there’s just some ambiguity when writing that in english).

Second bit I had wrong indeed. Thanks !

2 Likes

Week 9 is now live!

3 Likes

Ohhhhhhh haha. this makes sense

2 Likes

Welp! I really fell off the wagon there, somewhere during the very long week 6. I’ve now finished week 8, its doable difficulty-wise. I hope to catch up, so that I can start to read along for some of the remaining weeks. Thanks everyone for asking and answering questions. They helped me check my own understanding.

4 Likes

Finished this section too ! \o/
Thanks for everyone’s tips on how to guess who is talking on the roof, thanks to that, I wasn’t too confused :sweat_smile:

4 Likes