Participation

Are you reading along with this volume?
  • I am reading along
  • I will catch up later
  • I’m reading ahead
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

3 Likes

Notice the “Character Reference” section is new. I hope it’s helpful! Let me know if I missed any details. I plan on adding to it when we come across new characters (and removing characters if they don’t appear in the volume).

Side note: (ぬの)( is the most awkward character. That’s the least awkward portrait I could find of him. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Super useful, I have trouble sometimes recognizing the faces of people and sometimes wonder “who is that person”. I referred to it a few times while reading this week’s chapter!

So Yuuki is going to become the next vampire, now he has the dry throat?

5 Likes

Finished chapter 11. Good work @msbrown in the running of the group and the character post for people that need it.
In this chapter, there is some not-so-easy news-talk, but other than that it is not too bad, a lot of good artwork.

6 Likes

I had a question on the use of の上 on pg.27:

さつがいのうえしたものとみて

Can both 上 and 下 be used as time expressions as well as locations in space like 先 and 後?

BTW: I also really like the artwork, especially the Tokyo night skies and cityscapes at the beginning of the chapter. They remind me of van Gogh’s drawings – feels very much like a fever dream.

1 Like

In this instance I think it means “on top of”/“as well as”. But it can also mean “after”. See definitions 8 and 9 on Jisho.

5 Likes

Week 2

Reading chapter 12 this week!

Are you still reading along?
  • I am reading along
  • I will catch up later
  • I’m reading ahead
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

4 Likes

Finally caught up, I could have really done with a week off had JLPT last week and I have covid this week, so reading two chapters was challenging to say the least.

1 Like

Woooo lot of stuff going on. lot more text this time.
some stuff I was like hmmm what is this.
but oh well.

2 Likes

I love the development! It is slowly shifting towards the vampire theme and I’m all in for it.

3 Likes

About the way 五所 talks with the っす endings (from です): there was a discussion today in the Short Grammar Questions thread about it, and somebody linked to an interesting video from a Youtuber (三本塾 - Sambon Juku) who explains it as a informal male speech pattern (used with friends).

I thought it was interesting how the polite ます forms change to the plain form:
食べます → 食べるっす (though you’d never use 食べるです) or
行きます → 行くっす

Sambon Juku starts all his videos with the greeting ちゃっす:
ちゃっす → ちゃ-っす → こんちゃっす → こんにちわっす → 今日わ (こんにちわ)

8 Likes

One explanation for this is that です/ます is both polite and formal. And with friends you may want to be polite but being formal can come across as stiff or distancing. So you get 食べるっす

2 Likes

Can someone with free time find all the grammar in the manga and post it for everyone. I have a hard time sometimes telling if some things are grammar or just odd words.

1 Like

Yeah, the odd words can be an issue. If anybody comes across a particularly tricky word and manages to figure it out, make sure to add it to the vocab sheet!

What do you have in mind for posting all the grammar? Maybe a list of links to bunpro for each page? I could possibly do that for a chapter or two but it might be tedious to do for the whole manga.

If there are any questions about specific parts that you can ask, there are probably others with the same question. Just asking for a sentence breakdown is perfectly fine too.

As far as differentiating grammar from words, ichi.moe really helps me a lot. I understand it’s still difficult to recognize something as grammar and figure out how to look that up though.

3 Likes

So Gosho did have a tragic story about her brother and I guess that explains why she’s so quiet and kinda distant towards her classmates. Also, did Okazaki understand what Yuuki was trying to say or is he just as confused as I am? :joy: . Next chapter looks promising :eyes:

3 Likes

I also had to read that multiple times to get it. At least if we mean the same thing :sweat_smile:. On page 44 I think he is trying to say おかざぎ but because he can’t really move his mouth that well anymore we just hear おはらひ. But for me, on the page before “病院を脱走したからだって” does not make much sense either. Isn’t it “Because you escaped the hospital”? Maybe Yuuki is just not really mentally capable of speaking yet. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I read it, so I may be forgetting some context, but I think this bubble is connected to the …ごめんね after it. ごめん can also mean “thank you” as in “sorry you had to take the trouble to do that for me”. So in this case, I would think he’s saying “thank you for escaping the hospital (to save me)”.

8 Likes

Ah, okay that would explain it! Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

That was exactly it :exploding_head: thank you so much to both of you!

1 Like

One sentence thoughts on Chapter 12:
6mll8o

10 Likes