Week 6

Start Date: Jan 16
Next week: Week 7
Previous week: Week 5
Home thread

Reading

Fifth Chapter

Vocab List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Characters

(In order of appearance, feel free to edit this and only this section)
as discussed, pick roles you want to read in the read aloud. Do so by writing your name in the part * column. Feel free to break roles into smaller parts. Don’t remove other peoples role w/o their permission. Let’s try to leave roles for people who’ll visit the thread later or haven’t yet read the chapter.

name furigana description role part 1 (to pg. 140) part 2 (from pg. 141)
日向 ひなた :sun_with_face: read & translate
影山 かげやま :crown: read & translate barelyfragile
月島 蛍 つきしま けい tall, lean, and mean :salt: read & translate caraage also caraage (ง’̀-'́)ง (jk ill share)
山口 忠 やまぐち ただし Tsukishima’s hype man read & translate sycamore
大地 だいち :skull_and_crossbones: :imp: read & translate rainy sunday
田中 たなか :fist_right::fist_left::facepunch: read & translate dmner
菅原 すがわら :sunflower::cherry_blossom::blossom::rosette::tulip::hibiscus: read & translate JuiceS

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Read Aloud

This week’s read aloud should be on the 2021-02-06T20:00:00Z. It’s in the discord channel in https://discord.gg/ByBmv6x85p

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting on this poll.
  • I’m reading along
  • Already read it
  • Planning to catch up later
  • Dropped this book
  • Never even started

0 voters

Questions

favorite line/ panel?

P144 is one of my favorite panels in the series

おれも。。居る!

3 Likes

This chapter definitely has a lot of great moments! I really love the Tanaka and Tsukki confrontation at the end those of course the previously mentioned おれも。。居る! is pretty hype.
For these read alouds, I’m definitely enjoying moments that may be less hype but are fun to voice for a lot more.

4 Likes

hinatahuh

I feel like I should save this as a reaction picture or something, it could be perfect in so many situations :joy:

7 Likes

Two questions:

panelquestion.PNG
(page 145)

I don’t think I really understand anything in this panel
It’s a bit, uh, Hinataish? :laughing: Does anyone get the gist of what he’s saying here?

panelquestion2
(same page)

I can’t find what キバ(…) is supposed to be, any ideas?

3 Likes

Very Hinata-ish! The panels right before that one shows Hinata telling Tsukki that he’ll hit above his head and Tsukki responds with an irritated look and a “は?”. Hinata is basically intimidated by his response and starts saying things like なんだコラ and やんのかこにゃろ. With the first he’s basically asking why Tsukki is looking at him like that. The second is a very casual way of saying やるのかこのやろ, and he’s basically saying “do you wanna fight?” and getting ready to defend himself. Both of these are said with an unsure, almost nervous tone (based on the font). Basically, Hinata is very scared and smol.

Here, Tsukki is saying キバんないで, which is the negative て form of 気張る (きばる), which means to strain or exert yourself, or to go all out.

6 Likes

Ah, thanks for breaking that down!

Ah, that looks less like gibberish and makes more sense now.
Wasn’t familar with the やんのか expression yet, seems to be common in manga/anime though, so good to know.

Naww :pleading_face:

Ah, sure, makes sense.

Thanks!!

By the way, I love this week’s character descriptions (the ones in the table), very accurate :laughing:

2 Likes

I would say my favorite panel is just Tsukishima and Yamaguchi appearing for the first time because I love them, but the last one with Tanaka pissed off is way too good. I’m so happy the team is slowly coming together! I usually hate ***hole characters like Tsukki, but I love him, as much of a jerk as he is. He is peak annoying at first though!

2 Likes

I think I’m one of the few people who liked Tsukishima from the get go. I enjoy the snark so much.

2 Likes

He is the best at what he does, for sure! :joy:

On page 10 of the chapter, 影山 says this to 月島:

てめえが手ぇ抜こうが全力出そうが俺が勝つのに変わり無えんだよ

I’m confused about what exactly he’s trying to say. It kind of sounds like “Even if you let me take it out of your hand, I won’t win”, but there’s a lot more I don’t understand.

手を抜く can mean something like to ease up on an opponent
So he’s saying that regardless of whether Tsukishima goes easy on him/lets him take the win or gives it all he’s got, it doesn’t change the fact that he (Kageyama) will win

I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶,̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶

2 Likes

Just noticed: the date for the read-aloud is set to 5th (friday) in the top post. Since when did we switch? Did i miss sth?

Hey guys, we still need a few more readers for this week for Hinata, Suga, and Yamaguchi. Both Suga and Yamaguchi have a small number of lines. If anyone is intimidated by Hinata, I can trade you Kageyama, who doesn’t speak as much.

The reading seems to be getting a bit easier; fewer text-heavy pages.

Page 133

I get what it means, but I am not sure what use of になる this is…? I can’t find a reference for it.

It’s probably meaning 3 on Jisho:

“To consist of.”

手だけになるな
Don’t consist of only your arms.

Friendly reminder that reading group starts now if anyone wants to come and listen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Geez, hopping into the Discord feels like turning into Diagon Alley :joy: so much going on.

:joy::joy: yes, we’ve all settled down there! But new people are always welcome to join in, we love having more people to chat with.