ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 (Beginner Book Club)

That’s definitely a frustration I’ve had with the discord sessions - several times now I’ve had experiences where I or somebody else has asked a question, and it’s mentioned that “oh, someone asked that in the reading session a few days ago”, and it feels like it really takes away from the forum conversation both at the time and in terms of creating a useful resource for future readers.

I’m sure it only feels like the odd question here and there to those taking part, but when the thread is limping along it’s a bit disheartening. It’s not so bad if the thread is really lively anyway.

I can absolutely see the appeal and added benefit of the reading sessions though. I don’t know how you’re running them in this club, but I imagine it would work a lot better if the reading sessions ran substantially lagging the forum threads. So read the week 2 passage only once you’re into the week 3 period, etc. That way - although questions are of course always welcome - the reading session hopefully becomes more about the reading experience and less a time to save your questions for.

In terms of engagement, are people not voting in the weekly polls? That should at least tell you whether people are still reading along.

@yukinet I’m totally happy to shift the start dates by a week if necessary at this point - we’re still a way from starting - but it would be good to check in with people first over whether they’re still reading along and could use a bit of a breather to catch up, or whether it wouldn’t make much difference. Sorry if that’s already happened and I just didn’t see :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

AFAIR this has never happened in the club

this is what we do, we have a one week lag.

1 Like

with those point in mind. if there is a SIGNIFICANT majority who want a break, we will, otherwise we’ll continue as planned.

should we make this weeks chapter two week long?
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

most answers are vocal but most read the chat so you can ask questions even if you don’t want to talk, i would oppose recording the session for the sake of privacy…

I know, I was just talking about my experiences generally in commiseration with Phryne :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah of course, I wouldn’t wanna be recorded either :joy:
I was just thinking that if it had been the case that questions are usually asked/answered via text in the chat, it wouldn’t have been too much effort to copy paste those into a forum post or something. But since they aren’t that’s obviously not an option. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We had a small talk in the read aloud, should we increase the delay between the book club and the read aloud? The idea is that a bigger lag would leave more time to people to pre read(in case they lag behind) and encourage people to use the forum more.

should we change the read aloud lag?
  • 1 week(read last weeks, normal)
  • 2 week(two weeks ago)
  • 3 week(three weeks ago)

0 voters

Consider me an abstain from voting but still present and participating.
I’m happy with whatever the majority wants to do and I don’t want to skew the numbers in either direction to those that actually have an opinion

If people have thoughts about the vocab sheets and formats they want the data I can probably help out with scripting or things like that too.

My busy-ness has me needing to rush off again right now but unless things go sideways again at work ill read through the other posts and follow up later today

2 Likes

This might not be necessary. If there ends up being a rest week, we could do a poll here to see if people want the start date for FukaBoku to be moved as well. I imagine that matter will only really concern the people who are still reading Haikyuu, cause they will be the only ones jumping straight from one club into the next if the start date isn’t moved.

3 Likes

that’s decided then, @Radish8 we’ll make this weeks reading (5) a two week reading. please move the next book club if you think it’s necessary.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I’ll keep the start date as is for now, just because that’s least confusing. Then let’s see how we go from here :slight_smile:

1 Like

since we’re getting close to the end, would you be interested in continuing the book club as an offshoot? i’m asking early so that people who are interested have the time to buy it.

would you like to continue reading the next volumes of haikyuu! with the book club?
  • yes!
  • not sure
  • no

0 voters

After a break, the new week is upon us!

1 Like

the week before last is upon us

I’m a bit confused about the dates, when did we jump from “start new chapter every saturday (- breaks)” to new chapter on friday and then thursday?
I mean I don’t mind either way, I’m just confused :smile:

1 Like

the original date was a Friday, i just posted it a bit early. after all it’s Friday SOMEWHERE :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair enough :joy:

The earlier dates in the table are all Saturdays, hence the confusion
But I guess it doesn’t matter anyway :smile:

The week numbers are also getting mixed up between the schedule table, the discussion thread name and the vocab list tab names lol

last week’s post is up.
the post volume discussion thread is also up

i’m not sure when we’ll start volume 2 but i’m guessing it’s soon!
thanks for every one who participated in these discussion!

Beginner book club voting now

The beginner book club is currently voting on what to read next, you have until Sunday to participate. If you are interested have a look!