Week 5

Start Date: Jan 16
Next week: Week 6
Previous week: Week 4
Home thread

Reading

Fourth Chapter

Vocab List

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17omAjXL1Dj1eJyutEuo0JUTYIrKORDlfHc9PJzIF7DI/edit?usp=sharing

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Characters

(In order of appearance, feel free to edit this and only this section)
as discussed, pick roles you want to read in the read aloud. Do so by writing your name in the part * column. Feel free to break roles into smaller parts. Don’t remove other peoples role w/o their permission. Let’s try to leave roles for people who’ll visit the thread later or haven’t yet read the chapter.

name furigana description role part 1 part 2
日向 ひなた Orange haired MC read & translate pg 111-119 (dmner) pg 120-129 (available)
影山 かげやま Dark-haired secondary MC read & translate pg 111-119 (barelyfragile) pg 120-129 (available)
菅原 スガ Light-haired, team vice captain read & translate pg 111-119 (JuiceS) pg 120-129 (available)
田中 たなか Bald dude, uses ス a lot read & translate pg 111-119 (caraage) pg 120-129 (available)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Read Aloud

This week’s read aloud should be on the 2021-01-30T20:00:00Z. It’s in the discord channel in Japanese Book Club

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting on this poll.
  • I’m reading along
  • Already read it
  • Planning to catch up later
  • Dropped this book
  • Never even started

0 voters

I got behind a little bit and I suspect I might not be the only one? The vocab list is pretty sparse and ends at page 100, so it seems like engagement has been much lower last week. The week 4 discussion thread has 9 posts versus 28 in week 3, 38 in week 2 and 98 in week 1. I know there is always some attrition, but we’ve still got half of the book to go :thinking: I am not sure if this is something we need to discuss, but if so, maybe we should do so in the home thread.

2 Likes

took a week off to catch up on my japanese class studying, and came back to see a potential two-week break was discussed! hoping to join y’all for chapter 4 two saturdays from now!

1 Like

Ok, got an early question. On page 112 影山 and 日向 are calmly having a chat and 影山 says:

そこらで跳ねてろ!!!

So looking up 跳ねる I see it has 3 meanings:

1. To Jump (and other associated meanings)
  2. To break/close (and other associated meanings)
  3. To hit (and other associated meanings)

So I don’t think it is number 2, but I also can’t see it be jump in the context. 日向 says right before this that they don’t have time and he wants to hit a spike? and jump . Based on context it likely means jump but I just don’t get what he is trying to suggest. jump over there? So clearly I am missing something important here.

Pretty much. Hinata just said “I want to jump”, but Kageyama wants Hinata to practice his receives. そこら means around there, that area, and somewhere. So he’s saying either jump around there (where Hinata currently is) or go jump around somewhere. Personally, based on context, I think it makes more sense for it to be the first rather than telling Hinata to go somewhere else.

1 Like

Finished this chapter earlier than I thought! For those that are behind, I think this week’s chapter is shorter than last week’s, and there are some large panels with little-to-no text, so ファイト!

Do people have a favorite panel from this week’s reading? For me, it’s definitely the 一歩 panel. The way Hinata’s foot is emphasized in the “lens” with his other leg jutting behind him, plus the way his arms and face are positioned, I think Furudate-sensei was really able to express the power in that one step. Add to it the details on the sole of his sneaker, and it’s just SO GOOD.

I don’t think I had any vocal/grammar questions for this week, but I might read through the chapter again on Friday and see if I come up with any.

3 Likes

Ok doing a reread of this chapter to find questions :slight_smile:

While I think I grasp what is being said here I’m not sure on one particular section of this on why it is there.
Page 115: 影山:「勝ち」に必要な奴になら誰にだってトスは上げる。

Here is what I came up with: if it is win-required people subject will toss → If someone is required to win, I will toss to them. The problem I am running into is that I honestly can’t figure out why we get the に on 誰に。Is this some set phrase or what? (Also I am 100% probably missing the obvious but my tiny brain won’t see it)

Second one: 118: スガ:影山を倒したくてバレーやるの?

I’m getting the following take-down-影山? volleyball do? I think from context it is something along the lines of Do you only play volleyball to beat 影山 but:

倒したいー>倒したくて Want to take-down and
バレーやる do volleyball

So I’m not seeing how we the ending question, is there something that is not being said here that makes it make sense?

---- No more questions from me :slight_smile:

My favorite panel for this week is going to be top left on page 119, where 日向 looks like a troll doll or an elf or something.

2 Likes

What if the English were phrased more like: If it’s to a person who’s necessary to win, I’ll toss to anyone. Does that clear it up, or do you still need help? I’m happy to try again.

For your second question, I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you’re asking. The て form can be a causal thing, where the latter is because of the former, and questions can end with の. Did either of those guesses get anywhere near what you’re confused about? I do think your translation here is fine (the only isn’t in the original but I think it makes sense in context anyway, so).

1 Like

According to Jisho, 誰にだって is an expression that means anyone, whoever, etc. and is similar to 誰にでも. I like @valkow’s English phrasing here because I think it hits it on the head.

I think you’re asking what in Suga’s question implies that he’s asking Hinata if he’s playing volleyball because he wants to defeat Kageyama, or, more generally, why we get a cause/reason implied there. Like @valkow said, one of the many uses of the て-form is to imply cause or reason, where the verb/adj/noun in the て/で is the reason and the clause after the て/で is the result. Thus, in Suga’s question, the cause is wanting to defeat Kageyama and the result is playing volleyball. This goes into it a little more.

4 Likes

I’m also finding this chapter a lot easier than the last one! Phew!

Also, love these two panels…

4 Likes

I’m having a bit of trouble with this last bit of page 121.

The best I can do is something like
“When I turn the corner, a beautiful girl with bread in her mouth something
or “When I turn the corner, something a beautiful girl with bread in her mouth”

Doesn’t seem right! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

釣る (つる) can both mean “to fish” as well as “to allure/entice.” I read the sentence as, “A beautiful girl with bread in her mouth entices me with a bang.” The bang could be his heart’s reaction at the sight of her.

I like Suga’s reaction when Hinata’s expression changes. :joy:

1 Like

It kinda reminds of that shoji manga cliche with the girl eating a slice of bread and running into her love interest when turning at a corner
@lucylavelle

1 Like

I think he’s imagining what’ll happen when he turns the corner–he’ll run right into (making the ドーン sound effect) a beautiful girl holding bread in her mouth (and probably that will be the beginning of their fabulous romance). The つって is from と言って. It’s like yeah right, or just kidding–he knows it’s wishful thinking and that it probably won’t happen, sort of thing. (At least that’s how I’m reading it.)

4 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know と言ってー》つって. Do you have a resource I could check out that explains it? Casual shortenings like that trip me up. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It doesn’t address this specific contraction, but I find this thread to be a good reference whenever I encounter casual speech that doesn’t seem to make any sense.

5 Likes

I’m not finding a whole bunch of more formal things about it, but here is a google search with pages of people talking about it, here is what I thought was the most interesting page from that search, with people in the comments talking quite a bit about what this is (seems to be thought to be abbreviated speech and/or young people’s speech rather than any specific dialect), and then here and here are dictionary and thesaurus entries for つって-adjacent words (つっていた and っつっても respectively), just showing the links between つって and と言って. Sorry I don’t have more concrete resources for you! I think it’s the kind of thing where you start to hear it enough in speech eventually that it starts to feel intuitive, but I definitely stared at it a while thinking, I know what this means (<–or think I do) but what is it abbreviated from again? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@valkow/@BarelyFragile Thanks, that clears the first one up as @valkow’s phasing makes sense to me :slight_smile: I will read up more on the second one, thanks for the pointer.

1 Like

Super late, but I finally managed to catch up! I already knew Furudate’s artwork was good, but I still get blown away by how much I love it, the expressions are all priceless. I’m also struggling with all the contractions, but luckily it gets easier with time (and this forum is an awesome tool, honestly).

I’m not sure I understood this part correctly:

俺ならできるだけ強い奴とは争いたくないけどなあ
Is it "If it were me, I wouldn’t want to compete against stronger players if I could help it"? In which case, same :handshake:

4 Likes