Week 3

Start Date: Jan 1
Next week: Week 4
Previous week: Week 2
Home thread

Reading

second chapter

Vocab List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Characters

(In order of appearance, feel free to edit this and only this section)
as discussed, pick roles you want to read in the read aloud. Do so by writing your name in the part * column. Feel free to break roles into smaller parts. Don’t remove other peoples role w/o their permission. Let’s try to leave roles for people who’ll visit the thread later or haven’t yet read the chapter.

name furigana description role part 1 part 2 part 3
日向・翔陽 ひなた・しょうよう tiny excitable orange haired MC read & translate whole chapter (barelyfragile)
影山・飛雄 かげやま・とびお surly dark haired rival “the king of the court” read & translate whole chapter (dmner)
澤村・大地 さわむら・だいち karasuno VB captain - dark hair read & translate whole chapter (JuiceS)
菅原・孝支 すがわら・こうし karasuno VB vice captain - light (grey) hair read & translate whole chapter (sycamore)
田中・龍之介 たなか・りゅうのすけ karasuno VB 2年 - buzzcut read & translate whole chapter (caraage)
unnamed? n/a Angry man, karasuno principal- toupee guy read & translate whole chapter

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Read Aloud

This week’s read aloud should be on the 2021-01-09T20:00:00Z. It’s in the discord channel in Japanese Book Club

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting on this poll.
  • I’m reading along
  • Already read it
  • Dropped this book
  • Never even started
0 voters
3 Likes

(reserved)

oh forgot to make to post a wiki!

2 Likes

thanks @yukinet! I’ve now added roles to the table. I’ve put the principal only as one part as he doesn’t have many lines. It might make sense (though it would mean pt 1 being a bit shorter - though it’s pretty dense 2 person conversation up until then so that might be fine!) to have part one ending where the existing volleyball club members enter the gym and then those characters are just split into the two remaining parts? Or I might be overthinking things…

1 Like

every one is free to break or join parts, i would suggest to leave everything as one part unless someone decides to take only part of it. also if you put parts it would be best to define their extents!

ah cool! in that case I’ll edit to remove parts for now and then if all parts go they can be split as needed.

I don’t know how many people are planning on joining, but I’m willing to split Tanaka if later on all other characters are taken!

1 Like

Same here for Suga - more than happy to split.

Page 69

What did you make of that second bubble? I got caught up in the て/って/っと business :confused:

Page 73

Did anyone figure out what ナンボ means? I looked around a bit and it might be Kansaiben, but I couldn’t make much sense of the (Japanese) explanations.

What is ゴルャ?

Page 81

I am having trouble with よくて in the first balloon. How do I work that in?

1 Like

I decided to catch up with this club and read this, since I had a copy and I’ve been trying to get back into reading after slacking for a while.

I spent way too much time trying to figure this out when I read this yesterday, so I’m also interested in seeing how others interpreted this, in case I totally misunderstood it.

Here’s my guess:

Summary

1年坊に (to the little freshman)
3年生の威厳てやつを (that ‘senior student majesty’ thing)
ガッと (powerfully)
行ったってください (please do [to someone])

From what I gathered, 行ったる is a kansaiben contraction of 行ってやる/行ってあげる. Also, some native speakers told me that the 行く in this expression means something closer to “do” or “行う” than the literal spatial definition of “go.” ガッと is an adverb meaning vigorously or quickly, so ガッと行く could mean “to do something powerfully.”
With 威厳, I think it means majesty in a sense of being imposing. So my crappy, not-even-natural-english translation guess would be “Please powerfully do that ‘3rd year student imposingness’ thing to the little freshman!” basically saying to assert themselves and act serious to try and intimidate Kageyama. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m way off though.

I read this as a really inflected こら!but I’m not super sure, so maybe someone else has a better idea.

I read this as a variant of よくても, “at best,” which I think makes sense here, but I’m not 100% sure on that either.

3 Likes

I feel like these are probably both really simple questions but they are confusing me so here goes! First off- this bit on p63 -

I get the individual bits of this but have no real idea what it means as on a literal reading it would seem to be I remember well the thing belonging to you …which I’m pretty sure isn’t what they are going for. I guess in context it could be “I remember that match well” (that match being the thing/action belonging to Hinata) or even just “I remember you well” but either seems like a reach. I’m guessing that お前の事 must have a particular meaning I don’t know.

The other thing I’m unsure of is Tanakas line here (p77) below - the definitions of かわかん I’m finding don’t seem to fit.

1 Like

In Japanese, you will frequently see the construction noun + のこと to refer to something like “the thing of [noun]” or “the essence of [noun]”. You might see it, for example, when someone is confessing to someone else: [Name]のことが好きです. I personally have difficulty explaining this well, but here are some examples from Maggie-sensei where she goes into it a bit more.

To summarize, お前のこと and お前 would refer to the same person here, that being Hinata. So Kageyama is saying “I remember you well.”

The full sentence here is「俺もとれるかわかんねー」, and I’d break it into two parts as 「俺もとれるか」and「わかんねー」. The first part you’d read as a normal question (can I get that?), and the second part is the “response” (in this case) to that question (I don’t know). Putting that together, you’d get something like I don’t know if even I can get that.

This sort of construction is fairly common where you include question phrases followed by a verb like わかる or 覚える or 知る (or other verbs depending on what sort of question is being asked). Wasabi does a quick overview of it so you can see more examples.

1 Like

Ah nice! Thanks so much, I will check out those links! I did wonder if that か was the trusty question か but was like “but it’s not at the end so I guess not…” Woops!

I found it in hiragana なんぼ, and it says it like いくら. But I don’t know how that would be translated here.

@crayfish actually answered it above but you have to click the link:

~てなんぼ , where なんぼ is a kansai-ben version of いくら) is a little slangy set phrase that means “to be worthy only if ~”, “to be meaningless without ~” or “to be all about ~ing”

More specifically:

バレーボールは繋いでなんぼ大事のは - the important thing about volleyball is that it’s all about “connecting” (roughly translated)

5 Likes

Just got to the end of the chapter for this week and my reward was finding out that Hinata is taller than me lol. Guess Kageyama wouldn’t think I should try my hand at volleyball (and he’d be right tbh)

Spoilers for character that hasn’t appeared in the chapters we’ve read yet →

…at least there’s still Nishinoya to come :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Would anyone be able to help me figure out what exactly Sugawara is saying here? I get all the individual words, and vaguely understand that he’s saying something like that hinatas goal of being karasunos ace is high/ambitious but I’m not entirely sure what the 方が is doing. I’m thinking it might be this construction covered here: Using 「方」 and 「よる」 – Learn Japanese - but it doesn’t quite map to any of the examples. Or is it that there’s kind of an implied ‘silent’ comparison here? Like this goal/aim is higher than the goal that might be expected? It doesn’t matter too much for comprehension - just trying to get this grammar point sorted in my brain!

I interpreted it as that same construction. I think it maps a little more closely if you reword it a bit to be like 志は高い方がいいじゃん, as in “a lofty goal is better, right?” or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Ah thanks - yeah it makes more sense to me with the いい added - that’s the tricky (and good because I want to get used to it and it’s probably more natural) thing with some of this - quite often there’s a word or particle or something ‘missing’ that makes it not quite line up with textbook examples just enough that I doubt myself!

I wouldn’t say the いい is missing so much reordered. It seems like Suga started saying it’s good, isn’t it?, and then finished his thought as that (Hinata) has lofty aspirations, which can make it tough to notice I think, because we expect it in a specific order.

2 Likes