ドラゴンボールSD (Dragon Ball SD) · Volume 5 Discussion 🐉

Seems like やそこら has a fixed meaning when combined with numbers. Here’s some useful example sentences:

Ahhh, so he’s like “what’s up with that whole thing about lost souls, turns out he isn’t even a demon!”, which is mostly meant as a reproach towards the author, I guess. Because Piccolo certainly seemed to think he was a demon, so he’s not been inconsistent.

I meant serendipitously in the sense of ‘as opposed to reading specific sources on Japanese culture expressly’. I’m just reading this to learn Japanese, but the occasional cultural information is a bonus :grin:

1 Like

Week 10

Start date: 30 Oct
Pages: 167-183

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

Yay! Here I am caught up! And also Happy birthday to this group! We started volume 1 on October 31st 2020!

In the last few weeks I was focusing my time on finishing WK (got to that coveted level 60!).

I’m pretty much caught up with SD and surprised with the huge arc skip. I think the author loves the sayajin saga based on how long they are spending in that slightly smaller arc (and all the mini-insertions in the last few volumes). I’m sad we didn’t get to see more of piccolo’s origins though.

3 Likes

Congratulations! :confetti_ball: An awesome achievement :slight_smile: I guess the badge still has to be refreshed. Logging out and in speeds that up, I believe :grin:

1 Like

Congratulations on reaching level 60! You got there in a really quick time too! :partying_face: :tada:

Volume 5 done!

1 Like

Woohoo! Me too!

One question…

Page 176

What should I make of なんていやいいんだよ…?

Good question! I can only offer the original translation but it didn’t help me back translate the Japanese!

That’s interesting. I asked on HiNative and both answers said ‘what should I say?’, which matches that translation, but I am not sure how the grammar leads to that translation :thinking: いい must be 言い, I guess, but beyond that…?

1 Like

Maybe いや is 言えば? I also wondered if て is って?

1 Like

I think that might be it! :open_mouth: