ドラゴンボールSD (Dragon Ball SD) · Volume 3 Discussion 🐉

Yes, but now we have a new mission! And a new super strong bad guy that Goku will have to get stronger to defeat! :muscle:t2:

Week 5

Start date: 8 May
Pages: 77-94

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

1 Like

Goku’s journey continues - this was such a great part of the story! I love the banter between Goku and カリン様!

I came here to say similar things! This whole part of the story is one of my favorites… Tao Pai Pai, Master Karin and then Uranai Baba.

I am so happy with my increase in ability throughout the books. When I started reading Dragon Ball SD (several weeks before the club started), each chapter took several days and I had to ask my teacher about a lot of the conjugations and expressions. It was quite tiring. My goal was to be able to pick up the book and just read it.

Now, I can read it before bed and get a pretty good sense of the whole chapter and then there are a few words here and there and every now and then a grammar point. But, it is absolutely manageable. I don’t know if you’ve noticed this in yourselves. It seems like a quick evolution, but it’s been more than 6 months!

3 Likes

I feel the same way! I was reading it today and suddenly realised ‘o my God, I am not even thinking about the Japanese at all, I am just absorbing the meaning from it passively’. Brains are pretty amazing huh? I am so focussed on the ways my Japanese is lacking, but if I take a step back and look how far I have come already, I’ve got to say… it’s pretty impressive :smirk: :joy:

3 Likes

Week 6

Start date: 15 May
Pages: 95-112

0 voters

I thought this chapter was very fun and enjoyable. I hope we will see more of カリン様 at some point.

As for the reference to trickery in this chapter, here is more information!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reference, I didn’t know about neko majin.

I love master Karin and I forgot how sassy he is. I like how in the Japanese version he laughs as “Nyahaha” (mix of cat nyao with “haha”). It’s a cute touch that can’t be translated.

I also have been enjoying the story is slowing down a bit and not 5-6 chapters of the original into 1 of SD, since this is a fun part of the original.

2 Likes

Week 7

Start date: 22 May
Pages: 113-130

0 voters

That was a nice straightforward chapter to read! I love the look on 桃白白’s face just before the bomb goes off!

I enjoyed watching the Neko Majin video too. It would be a tempting manga to pick up at some point - it’s nice that all the stories are collected in one volume, and something nice about reading a manga where no translation exists in English! Looking at the first few pages on book walker it actually looks quite easy, possibly even an absolute beginner book club suggestion…

2 Likes

I was a little worried in the beginning of the chapter because there were a lot of words I didn’t know… and then all of a sudden it was easy and quick :slight_smile: (also it was basically just pictures and attacks lol). I actually forget completely what happens to the story once they visit uranai baba. So I’m looking forward to what’s gonna happen.

I had a look at the Neko Majin and indeed looks easy (about as easy as SD?). I think you should nominate it to the book club. And you’re right, I would feel incredibly accomplished reading something unavailable in English!

2 Likes

That’s how I have felt about reading 殺人出産! It’s really gripping and I never would’ve had the chance to enjoy it if it hadn’t been for learning Japanese.

I would be up for reading it. You could nominate it in the Absolute Beginners’ Club and see how it does in the polls. If it looks like it might not have a chance there, we could always read it in here once we’ve exhausted all current volumes of DB SD.

Also, I loved this panel this week:

1 Like

Week 8

Start date: 29 May
Pages: 131-146

0 voters

1 Like

Well I managed to follow the story ok but felt like I had to look a lot up when reading through the second time. I like the word 多勢に無勢!

I think something that made it harder was that the continuity seems to have changed! I’d noticed that in the original story Goku had one more dragon ball than this story (he picked up one before going to Jingle Village). But until this chapter there were only 3 balls in play (e.g. page 73 of volume 2 there were 2 in Tao Pai Pai’s bag and 1 with Goku). Suddenly we have reverted to the original story and there are now 4 balls - with the exact same picture as the original story showing the radar in Goku’s hand with 4 balls at his location!

Also right back in volume 2 (page 68) there were two balls at Red Ribbon HQ - numbers 5 and 6 (although the star formations were funny) - so it threw me when Colonel Violet appears with the second one.

What did you make of this sentence on page 133?
父上はきたえてるからたぶん大丈夫だよ
Perhaps - Father is trained/disciplined, he’ll be fine?

1 Like

Oooh I completely missed the extra dragon ball, so continuity wasn’t too bad for me, since I just reread the original 2 weeks ago :sweat_smile:.

The last phrase I interpreted something similar to you. I’ll let you know if I change my mind when I re-read the chapter.

As for vocabulary this week… once again, Thanks again for the list!!

I saw 厄介 (やっかい) on wanikani, literally minutes before reading the chapter and thought “meh, never gonna use this one” and here we are.

チチ - I knew because of… Chi chi!

And ひょうっとして - is one of my biggest leeches. I think it shows up on DB SD every 3 chapters? And pretty much in every other manga and I can never remember!!

Overall, lots of new words here that I had never seen!

2 Likes

I love that Bulma made a spy plane to keep an eye on Goku! That frame really cracked me up :grin:

1 Like

Week 9

Start date: 5 June
Pages: 147-164

0 voters

Do the polls suddenly look a bit busted to anyone else? :thinking: The emoji are HUGE!

1 Like

Wow what a chapter! Goku seems reluctant to kill in the later stories but he’s quite happily killing left, right and centre this week! I love the part where he jumps through the floor as he doesn’t understand the concept of a lift - and Red Commander’s response…

Once again I love the jokes where the characters realise they are in an SD manga!

Page 153
I was interested to know what others thought of this sentence:
あいつなら泳いで買い物にいっておるなにしろ船ものうなってしもうたからのう

I think I got confused by the 2 x のう

The first half is - He went swimming to do some shopping…

I think the second half breaks down as:

• なにしろ - as you know
  • 船も - the boat + も
  • のうなって = 無うなって = to be lost, to be missing
  • しもうた= しまった - expresses regret, past tense
  • から - because
  • のう - emphasis adding particle?

→ He went swimming to do some shopping. Because, as you know, the boat was lost.

Nearly at the end of volume 3!

1 Like

Ahh, thanks, that was the difficult part for me as well. Found a reference.

I loved this part:

It’s all getting very silly :grin:

1 Like

Final week! :partying_face:

Start date: 12 June
Pages: 165-181

0 voters