End phrase マユミはただ何となく気弱な微笑を浮かべて
Pages 16
Previous week Week 1
Next week Week 3
Home Thread せーラー服と機関銃

Vocabulary

Google sheet:

セーラー服と機関銃 vocabulary sheet

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.

2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).

3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.

Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Proper Nouns

Name Hiragana reading Notes Kindle location first mentioned
赤川次郎 あかがわじろう the author cover
尾田医師 おだいし Doctor Oda 24
目高組 めだかぐみ Medaka clan 86
星泉 ほしいずみ main character, Izumi 170
酒井好子 さかいよしこ aunt Yoshiko 172
星貴志 ほしたかし main character’s father, Takashi 179
酒井呈一 さかいていいち Uncle (Yoshiko’s husband) 201
知子 ともこ Tomoko (?Izumi’s mother) 211
奥沢哲夫 おくざわてつお Classmate of Izumi, Tetsuo (son of an executive, smart dresser, family expect him home for dinner on time) 251
渡辺周平 わたなべしゅうへい Classmate of Izumi, Shuhei (stocky, bowlegged, loves Judo) 251
竹内智生 たけうちともお Classmate of Izumi, Tomo. (Smart, heading for Tokyo university, wears glasses) 261
マユミ - mysterious woman in Izumi’s apartment 348
三浦久子 みうらひさこ Miss Miura, teacher 357
保科校長 保科校長 Headteacher Hoshina 368

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book
0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

7 Likes

Are the ending page number and line definitely right this week? All the other schedule endpoints match up with the page numbers in my paperback copy, but not this one, and I couldn’t see the line on any of the nearby pages either…

2 Likes

Sorry - looks like it is on page 33 according to the google books version. I’ll correct above
Thanks for spotting

It makes the week by week page count more even

2 Likes

Just a little reminder:
You forgot to set the link to Week 2 in the book’s home thread.

4 Likes

thanks - fixed

4 Likes

Week one was rough, went at a very slow pace to understand everything. Had some free time to get a jump start on week two. I wrote all the names down at the front of the book for reference. @Domjcw thanks for list of names in week one, it’s been a huge help.

6 Likes

Done with this part! Btw, how should I mark the locations of the sentences I have questions on? The pages kindle gives me aren’t going to be of much help for people with paperback.

question 1 (kindle page 21)

およそタイプの違う三人だが、星泉にほのかな想いを寄せている点では共通しており、お互いライバルであることは充分意識しながら、こと泉のためとあらば一致団結して行動するのが常だった。

What is the meaning of the second こと, the one before 泉?

question 2 (kindle page 26)

泉は、少しこの女、イカレてるんじゃないかしら、と思った。

I looked for a translation for イカレてる. I found this on Jisho, but that one is written イカれる. I didn’t think you can decide yourself what parts get written in Katakana, so do I have the wrong word?

question 3 (kindle page 27)

とさまな評が飛び出したのも、三浦女史はその体型たるや、完璧に近い円筒で、哺乳類にドラム缶科というのを一つ新設する必要があるのではないかと言われるほどだったからだ。

So… does 完璧に近い円筒 refer to the shape of her body? And the students are making fun of her for that by saying we might need a new category of mammals that are similar to metal barrels? Wow that’s demeaning… :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

Thanks @Jiell great questions

each of those were bits that I had highlighted as causing me headaches or uncertainty

I’m not sure I have answers to any of them. For your first question - it would be great if someone could help break down the whole sentence. I can work out the gist, but hard to work out how to get there.

For イカレてる I have flagged that in the vocab page with a question mark. I haven’t been able to find a good explanation.

For #3 - I liked your explanation. That made more sense than anything I had been trying to read into that sentence!

5 Likes

#1: I don’t know, but it feels like a conjunction, like ということ or つまり

#2: Pretty sure it’s イカれる. I don’t think there is a rule on how much Katakana’d. Not an official document anyway. Inflection can also be Katakana’d.

#3: :laughing:

7 Likes

I think this is the use described in this helpful forum post by @vanilla:

“a nuance like something is already kinda the case, but its especially the case in a certain condition”.

6 Likes

Thanks! I don’t think I would have ever found that :smile:

I’ll try, but no promises it’s correct.

breakdown

およそタイプの違う三人だが、

Although the three have completely different types,

星泉にほのかな想いを寄せている点では共通しており、

They have the vague points that made them fall in love with Izumi in common,

お互いライバルであることは充分意識しながら、

While being fully aware that they are rivals,

こと泉のためとあらば一致団結して行動するのが常だった。

Especially if it’s for Izumis sake, working together was already a common thing.

6 Likes

I got about halfway through writing out a slightly offbeam answer and was googling around for references to back me up when I found that forum post by sheer chance :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’re right on the others, but this one’s a little off. It’s more like “they had in common the point that they harboured faint/vague feelings for Izumi”.

10 Likes

For イカレてる when I googled it I got shounen manga panels so it seems to just be a literature/manga thing to spell it like that. I guess it makes sense since it is a more colloquial word.

I’ve noticed in the past that a lot of manga do this where even the stuff usually written in hiragana is written in katakana which can be very confusing sometimes. Stuff like オススメ or ナマケモノ (I’m talking about しろくまカフェ in particular here)

4 Likes

オ getting Katakana’d with the rest of word can make the word difficult to noticed. One that comes to mind and is missing from Jisho is オトク (お(とく)). There might be ゴ ones as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clue about manga/anime use

I’ve looked up イカレてる on immersionkit.com

There are lots of helpful context examples there, with the general meaning being “crazy, having a screw loose, messed up”

So perhaps the sentence

could be translated as

This woman is a bit nuts isn’t she, thought Izumi

7 Likes

I don’t know about others, but I found a couple of points this week where I got stuck by some really complicated and long sentences.
A couple of them were mentioned already by @Jiell
Another example

何をやっても平均の少し下、優等生への憧れを捨て切れない劣等生の哲夫に比べると、周平のほうは勉強はからきしだめ、自分の好きな柔道をやりに学校へ行くのだと割り切っていて、それだけに〈突っ張った〉ところのない、単純明快な性格である

Phew…
I sometimes had to resort to a machine translator to work out what was going on in sentences like this

9 Likes

Mmm. It doesn’t help when the long sentences also have words you don’t recognise in them – for instance からきし was new to me, and so からきしだめ = からきし + だめ = “absolutely hopeless” wasn’t my first guess about how to parse that string of hiragana.

Side note: からきし + だめ seems to be a very common collocation for this adverb: three out of four of Progressive’s example sentences for からきし use it:

私は酒はからきし駄目です – I can’t drink at all.

あの人は仕事の方はからきし駄目だ – As for work, he is utterly useless.

化学ときたら僕はからきしだめだ – When it comes to chemistry, I’m hopeless.

7 Likes

Reading 息を殺した, getting the kanji mixed up with and thinking “well that escalated quickly!” :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Done with this part, again, pretty quickly, feels like my speed at reading the intermediate books went really up recently. I do read with a hover dictionary and do not stick to every single sentence to completely translate every word in it, but it still feels like I get what’s going on and learn new vocabulary and that’s pretty cool considering I finished this week’s part in 29 minutes :smile:

12 Likes