End phrase (end of 第二章 section 2)
Pages 15
Previous week Week 7
Next week Week 9
Home Thread せーラー服と機関銃

Vocabulary

Google sheet:

セーラー服と機関銃 vocabulary sheet

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.

2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).

3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.

Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Proper Nouns

Name Hiragana reading Notes Kindle location first mentioned
赤川次郎 あかがわじろう the author cover
尾田医師 おだいし Doctor Oda 24
目高組 めだかぐみ Medaka clan 86
Izumi’s family
星泉 ほしいずみ main character, Izumi 170
酒井好子 さかいよしこ aunt Yoshiko 172
星貴志 ほしたかし main character’s father, Takashi 179
酒井呈一 さかいていいち Uncle (Yoshiko’s husband) 201
知子 ともこ Tomoko (?Izumi’s mother) 211
マユミ - mysterious woman in Izumi’s apartment 348
Classmates
奥沢哲夫 おくざわてつお Classmate of Izumi, Tetsuo (son of an executive, smart dresser, family expect him home for dinner on time) 251
渡辺周平 わたなべしゅうへい Classmate of Izumi, Shuhei (stocky, bowlegged, loves Judo) 251
竹内智生 たけうちともお Classmate of Izumi, Tomo. (Smart, heading for Tokyo university, wears glasses) 261
Schoolteachers
三浦久子 みうらひさこ Miss Miura, teacher 357
保科校長 ほしなこうちょう Headteacher Hoshina 368
和子 かずこ classmate, 433
Yakuza
健次 けんじ Kenji, Medaka gang member, short, unbalanced (brought the doctor in the car in the prologue), chews gum 555
英樹 ひでき Hideki, Medaka gang member, skinny and unhealthy looking, wears thick glasses 556
たけし Takeshi, Medaka gang member, stocky and overweight 558
佐久間 さくま Sakuma, Medaka second in command, unusually tall (‘beanpole’), in 50s 558
浜口 はまぐち Hamaguchi, local Yakuza chief 1,034
Other characters
黒木 くろき detective, head of the S section 870
浜口物産 はまぐちぶっさん Hamaguchi trading company 936
野田代議士 のだだいぎし Representative Noda, politician, waiting for Hamaguchi 1,064

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book
0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

3 Likes
This week

Man, what a cliffhanger. I read this chapter early because I’m on vacation next week, but now it’s painful to stop here. That last scene where Izumi sneaks into her room was a total page-turner, too.

6 Likes

Some questions from this week

1. When Mayumi came back

どこかへ出かけていて、犯人が捜しているところへ帰って来てしまったんだろう。まだ刺されてそう間がなかった」

I understand the meaning, but can’t unpack the end of the this. Not yet… it seemed had been stabbed…interval wasn’t…

?

三人の頼りがいのある(?)用心棒に守られて無事到着

I was puzzled by this until I discovered that 頼りがい was a word
I’m still a bit unsure about the のある construction, though I can see what it is doing
but the other thing I was going to ask about was the editorial (?)
Akagawa does this intermittently. Are these supposed to be ironic question marks - a bit like ‘scare quotes’?

Izumi needs to study?

泉さんは非常に珍しい体験をしてるわけだから、なったからには、そこから何かを学ぶようにしたほうがいいね

what is the meaning of なったからには in the middle here
and is the idea that because she doesn’t have much experience, she is going to have to study to be able to be Oyabun?

It's all connected...

すべてがつながり、関わり合っているのなら、まだこの先何かが起こるのではないかと思えたのだ…

I’m a bit lost in this construction
Everything was connected, because she was mixed up in it, she could think that already earlier something wouldn’t have happened…???

4 Likes

I agree. This did not feel like a sensible decision by Izumi - especially when the doorman was missing from downstairs. I’m assuming (despite Akagawa’s tendency to kill off characters) that she will survive this, but I’m keen to read on to make sure…!

5 Likes
1. When Mayumi came back

It wasn’t a very long time since she was stabbed.

Time interval practically didn’t exist, perhaps.

?

(たよ)甲斐(がい)がある

(?) is fun, but questionable (?) quote.

3 Likes

I think this is the “you can mark the subject in a short relative clause with の instead of が” の – same meaning as 頼りがいがある用心棒 lit. “bodyguards who have trustworthiness”.

6 Likes

からには has an entry in the Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar; it means “now that”, “once s.o. has done something”, etc. Here it means “given that you’ve become a yakuza boss, you should learn something from the experience”.

Couple of hopefully orienting hints:

• なら divides this sentence in half, giving you an overall structure of "if it is true that (stuff before なら) then (stuff after なら)
  • the 思える here is an odd use of the potential form with a verb like 思う or 考える which Jay Rubin has a brief section “The Natural Potential” in his book Making Sense of Japanese. The potential or passive form is used to describe a situation where the situation or environment naturally or spontaneously leads to the person thinking something. A natural English translation is often “it seemed that”, eg “…it seemed like something more might still happen in the future”.
5 Likes
When Mayumi came back

まだ … 間がなかった

間(ま)がない is an expression meaning ‘not much time has passed since (preceding words)’. Several dictionaries state that it comes after the -て form of a verb though, so it’s leaving me a little unsure. I’ve struggled to find example sentences. It’s much easier to find sentences for 間ない, which seems to mean the same thing and is used with and without -て forms.

Assuming we’ve got the correct meaning, that’s how we get “not much time had yet passed since she looks/seems to have been stabbed” for that last bit.

6 Likes

There’s the first hint of a (slightly creepy) Akagawa trope in this week’s reading. Did anyone spot it? (I bet @pm215 did)

1 Like

The old guy/younger girl age gap romantic interest hints, you mean? Yes…

The hints are pretty overt, yeah. Izumi described him as looking mid thirties in last week’s reading, too… Considering there was something similar in 殺人犯になれる, I’m curious how many times Akagawa has paired high school kids with adults in his books. なれる spoiler: also curious to see if this one turns out to be a bad guy as well! I’m with @Boodil in that he could be a corrupt cop, or maybe not even a cop to begin with. Did he ever show any credentials or proof? Might have forgotten if he did.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s the one. I gather from chatting to a Japanese friend that it features in quite a lot of his books…

2 Likes

I have to say that I felt quite uncomfortable with the flirting from the ‘detective’ towards Izumi… it was already a bit weird on the previous book, but I feel that here it just felt even more like grooming. She’s 17, her father just passed away, and it seems so much like he’s just taking advantage of the situation… ew

4 Likes

It is one of the bits of the book that obviously date it. It is hard to imagine someone writing this into a contemporary novel (unreflectively, and without it being an explicit theme…)

3 Likes

He didn’t, but after they found Mayumi’s body, he seemed to call a real forensic squad and none of them exposed him as a fake cop, which gives a bit of credibility to his claim, imo. The jury is still out on whether he’s got his own agenda in regards to finding the mystery parcel, though.

I spotted that Izumi seems to be getting a bit of a crush on the mop-cop and trusts him more than she probably should at this point, but tbh, I didn’t find it creepy so far. I mean, at least not in a sexual way, just maybe in an intentional “the reader is supposed to have a bad feeling about this” kind of way. I didn’t have a problem with the other one-sided teenage MC crush in 殺人犯, either. Since everyone here seems to agree that it was creepy - I wonder if there was something overly flirtatious in the mop’s manner that simply flew over my head for language reasons.

6 Likes

I think lines like

私、十七です
そうか。…もう大人だね

and asking about joining her fan club make it clear that it’s not just a friendly adult and a one sided crush. (Plus in-story the classmate trio are dubious about the detective: 君のことを食いつくような目つきで見てたぜ.)

7 Likes

Hm, good points. As an isolated incident, this one didn’t immediately stand out to me as fishy, because it seemed more like he was trying to gain her trust by stroking her ego - kids love getting told how grown-up they are, after all. But the trio’s opinion might be a clue. They are borderline weird stalkers themselves, so maybe it takes one to know one.

6 Likes

I didn’t get to read much the last few weeks and am trying to catch up with the club. Just finished this weeks portion! With that ending, will probably continue reading as soon as I can :grin:

question

「分かってるようなこと言ってら」

This is said by one of her fanclub members (I think). What does 言ってら mean? I interpreted this as 言ってろ, but does that work?

on detectives behavior

I rolled my eyes with how he was behaving in the apartment, but since Izumi didn’t seem to think much of it, it felt mostly silly (I almost hope he continues to make vague affectionate gestures, just for her to ignore it completely).

This was what made it very creepy to me, but thankfully Izumi didn’t blush or something :upside_down_face:

I also thought that! I wouldn’t be surprised if it tuns out to be the same, but I am hoping it doesn’t.

5 Likes

Took me a little digging, but the 日本国語大辞典 has an entry for てら that matches this:

〘連語〙 (「ているは」の変化したもの。上にくる語によって「でら」とも) 「ている」の意を感動的に、または、とがめる口調で表わす。…ているなあ。…ているよ。てらあ。
※琴のそら音(1905)〈夏目漱石〉「馬鹿あ言ってら」

So it means the same as 言っている + emphatic/critical tone.

I also found some stuff suggesting it was part of the old tokyo dialect speech style; it wouldn’t surprise me if nobody in real life speaks like that. (I think this line is from 哲夫, who also uses ぜ as a sentence ender.)

6 Likes