コンビニ人間 🍙 Week 6 (IBC Primer)

Week 6 of コンビニ人間

コンビニ人間 (IBC Primer) :rice_ball: Home Thread

Previous Part: Week 5
Next Part: Week 7

Reading

Week Start Date End Page (PB)* End Kindle Location End Percentage Ebook End Phrase Page Count
#6 Jul 22 39 352 20% ユカリは私に笑いかけ続ける。 8

If the end phrase is bolded, it means that this week ends in the middle of a section/chapter. So the stopping point might be a bit rough and you need to keep more of an eye out for it.

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
古倉 ふるくら Main character’s last name Furigana
恵子 けいこ Main character’s first name English version description
菅原 すがわら Part time employee at コンビニ Common reading
いずみ Supervisor at コンビニ Common reading
ダット ダット Vietnamese, new employee
岩木 いわき Tall university student, employed on day shift, looking for a new job English version description
雪下 ゆきした Day shift employee soon to be leaving for a proper job English version description
ミホ ミホ Keiko’s friend from class reunion, week 6
ユカリ ユカリ Miho’s friend, recently moved back to the area, has a child, week 6
サツキ サツキ Miho’s friend, no children, week 6

Vocabulary List

Please note that this vocabulary sheet was created for earlier コンビニ人間 clubs. The PB (paperback) pages should correspond with PB page counts in our schedule, but the weeks and schedule table won’t. This was created for the original IBC schedule. Example: the vocabulary for Primer week one, two and a couple of pages of week 3 will all be under original IBC week 1, so in the week one tab.

Please don’t change this sheet to correspond with our schedule, but do feel free to add to the vocabulary sheet if it is missing something, please read the editing guidelines tab before doing so. :slight_smile: If you are unsure how to add something or which page it falls on, post it in the thread instead and we’ll figure it out together!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

Obs! Do note that the physical version seems to come with zero page numbers (yes, zero, I saw none while flipping through a good portion of the first volume). So alternative means of identifying page might be needed.

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (if you can), and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Past IBC Thread Links

This week is covered by IBC week 3 and IBC week 4.

Don’t feel like you need to look there to see if your question(s) have been answered before posting here. There is no obligation nor expectation that you will look there first.

5 Likes

Updated character list

Name Reading Notes Proof
古倉 ふるくら Main character’s last name Furigana
恵子 けいこ Main character’s first name English version description
菅原 すがわら Part time employee at コンビニ Common reading
いずみ Supervisor at コンビニ Common reading
ダット ダット Vietnamese, new employee
岩木 いわき Tall university student, employed on day shift, looking for a new job English version description
雪下 ゆきした Day shift employee soon to be leaving for a proper job English version description
New characters this week
Name Reading Notes Proof
ミホ ミホ Keiko’s friend from class reunion
ユカリ ユカリ Miho’s friend, recently moved back to the area, has a child
サツキ サツキ Miho’s friend, no children
5 Likes

Typo alert:
In my paperback edition, p 37, column 5,

Miho’s friend with no children is サツキ, not セツキ.

6 Likes

In my paperback edition, p 37, column 5,
Miho’s friend with no children is サツキ, not セツキ

same in the kindle edition

2 Likes

My edition too! Corrected, thanks for spotting!

2 Likes

Aなら、Aで
There is an interesting N1 grammatical construction early in this week’s section that was new to me
辞めるなら辞めるで、前もって言ってくれないと、結局しわ寄せが他のバイトに来るだけじゃないですかー!
Here is an interesting and useful explanation: 【N1文法】~なら~で - YouTube

8 Likes

Thanks that guy was nice to listen to and I enjoyed hearing him talk through the examples.

I find it hard to find the right search expression to look up these sort of grammar points on the internet.

I did find bunpro has a grammar explanation in English for this grammar point - you can access bunpro grammar explanations without a subscription, but you do need a free account: なら〜で (JLPT N1) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained

6 Likes

I found several bits in the meetup of old school friends hard to follow.

1. 明るく声をかけてきたミホと、持っているバッグが色違いだという話で盛り上がり、今度一緒に買い物に行こうと、メールアドレスを交換した。

After greeting me at the top of her voice, and chatting excitedly about all the different coloured bags (?that ?other people were carrying), we exchanged email addresses so that we could go shopping soon

is that right?

3 Likes

I think this goes more along the lines that the two of them have the same bag but in different colors? 持っているバッグ would mean the bag one or both of them are carrying in my opinion.

But I’m just speculating here off of the sentence you posted, not reading along, so this might be wrong.

6 Likes
  1. 「なんか恵子、変わったね」

I think that Yukari is saying that Keiko has changed (because her speech style is a mix of her co-workers). But am I right in thinking that this also means “Keiko, you’re weird”. Keiko then seems to reply very pointedly -

「前はもっと、天然っぽい喋り方じゃなかった?髪形のせいかな、雰囲気違って見える」

I think she asks - was that not a natural way of speaking? [maybe picking up on the weird inference] But then she asks - maybe it’s my hair - giving a different feeling??

1 Like
Summary

I think she greets her brightly or cheerfully rather than at the top of her voice (saying the previous sentence - “your image has totally changed”). She then gets excited that they have the same bag in different colours. And having bonded over a shared taste in bags, they swap email addresses so they can go shopping together at some point.

Summary

While 変わった can mean “weird”, I didn’t get the sense that she was being rude like that. I thought she was simply saying “you’ve changed” or “you look different”.

Summary

Previously, didn’t you use to speak more naturally/normally? Maybe it’s your hairstyle, but there’s a different atmosphere about you.

9 Likes

I’m really enjoying being able to read this!

Do I understand everything? Er…no.
Am I generally a bit confused about who is talking at any given time? …Absolutely.
But I understand the broad strokes of what is going on and thats great as far as I’m concerned. :blush:

One line this week has me slightly baffled though:

p36

自分の中に「朝」という時間が運ばれてくる感じがする。

I feel like the time called morning is carried inside me. (?)
Pretty sure I’m either wrong or just missing something here!

4 Likes
page 36

I don’t think you are interpreting it wrong - to me it feels like Keiko believes that when she’s opening up the store, she’s bringing the “morning” to everyone else (the customers), so she indeed carries it inside her. Does this make sense?

5 Likes

thanks - makes more sense that this is Yukari (?) following up on her previous phrase rather than Keiko’s reply (though it is hard enough to work out who is speaking when the speakers alternate. When they have two successive but 「distinct」 bits of speech, it becomes ちょっと難しい…)

4 Likes

That is how I read it too, but I found it confusing. She’s going through all this effort to mimic others, to improve how natural she sounds So why did she sound more natural before. I would have expected her to sound less natural before.

1 Like

天然っぽい doesn’t mean “natural”. 天然 is not 自然. Jisho has “natural airhead” as translation for 天然.
I went looking for a Japanese definition of 天然の人:

「天然」とはどんな人のこと? 天然とは、周りの目を気にせず人と違う行動を取る、会話の受け答えが少しズレている、行動が抜けているといった人を指すときによく使われる言葉です。 周囲の人と少しズレていることで笑いを起こしたり、周囲を和ませたりと独特な感性を持っている印象を与えます。

3 Likes

Ah. Got it. That makes much more sense.

1 Like

maybe spontaneous or unaffected?

1 Like

Yes, that does make sense, thank you. :slight_smile:
I think I was being a bit too literal rather than realising that it was meant in a more poetic sense!

3 Likes
  1. I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned what must be the oddest passage this week

前に友達と会ったとき身体の中にあった水が 、今もうほとんどなくなっていて 、違う水に入れ変わっている ように、私を形成するものが変化している。

I could get the gist of this, but I don’t think I can translate it. I think Miho has just said that she didn’t think Keiko had changed much. And then Keiko seems to agree それはそうだと私は思った。But then she says that the world that she absorbs [she is like a social sponge with her adoption of her co-workers’ mannerisms] has changed, and so (just as) all the water in her body has changed since she first met her friends, so the form of her body has changed???

1 Like