Start Date: July 13th
Previous Thread: Week 2
Next Chapter: Week 4

Reading:

End Page (PB) End Page (HB) End % End Phrase Pages
36 31 20% 世界を信じている。 9

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for コンビニ人間

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read-along Sessions

Come and read from the previous week’s section, join in the chat about this book or just lurk and listen. Readers of all speeds and abilities welcome - we are here to help each other out. Reading sessions will be held every Sunday at 9:30pm JST.

Week 3 session (in your timezone): Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:30 PM TZ

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

5 Likes

For the read-along session listed in the OP, that should be “Week 3 session” I guess?

Fixed!

For the date I’m just adding a week to the previous one, so tell me if there are any deviations from that.

1 Like

I only just realized how weird the cover is for this book. I wonder if it will make more sense later…

Anyway, quick question. Starting from 夜勤に入ったばかり on page 27 until パンを飲み込む on page 28 (this is one really long sentence). The one preparing to go out and help if needed is the main character, right? For a bit I wasn’t sure if it was referring to her or if she was saying that’s how it seemed the store manager would handle things. But after re-reading it and paying more attention to the 眺めながら, I’m pretty sure it’s referring to her. Still wanted to double check though.

Another great line:

私の身体の殆どが、このコンビニの食料でできているのだと思うと、自分が、雑貨の棚やコーヒーマシーンと同じ、この店の一部であるかのように感じられる。

8 Likes

Yes, I think so. I can’t objectively say it’s 100% the case, because I don’t know many actual grammar rules, but I at least have no doubt about that.

It is a weird cover… I noticed that before, but just decided to not think too much about it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the MC looking over the situation.

夜勤に入ったばかりの、新人のベトナム人のダットくんが必死にレジを打っている様子や、慣れない彼をフォローしながら店長が走り回っている様子を眺めながら: Seeing the newbie Dat-kun desperately working the reg and having the manager helping him because he’s not used to it,

何かあったら制服を着てバックルームの外へ走っていきレジを手伝おうと構えつつ、パンを飲み込む。: In case anything happens, I gulp down the pan as I prepare to put on my clothes and run out the backroom to help. (see below discussion)

3 Likes

Yes, it’s her. Since it looks like they may need help, she gets ready to go (even though it’s not officially her shift yet). I wonder if that’s legal, though? She would have to scan her badge or something to use the register, right? How is that going to look on the record? (Well even for half an hour, probably nobody cares)

As I ready myself to put on clothes and rush.

3 Likes

Hmm maybe. But to know what 構えつつ is really covering, I read it as such: 何かあったら制服を着てバックルームの外へ走っていき**、**レジを手伝おうと構えつつ

Because there’s a kind of a cut, after which there’s a volitional form, making up 手伝おうと構え. (I might be reading it wrong though)

Because it’s 何かがあったら (if anything happens), you know that she isn’t doing anything yet. Also, the part you point out is the opposite of a cut, it’s a connection (it’s like having a てform). I feel that form was chosen over the てform because there’s one just before.

Edit: it’s called the 連用形 (connective form), by the way, if you want to look it up.

5 Likes

Ohh right, completely forgot about this, yes makes sense.

Ah sorry yeah, I already know that but I meant it as a cut in the sentence than anything else. :+1:

1 Like

I doubt 恵子 would be gulping down bread on the main floor next to the register. That’s probably against the 接客法則

4 Likes

I have three questions:

At 15%:

「少しクリームに癖があって、匂いが強くて食べにくいです」
I thought 癖 meant the opposite from what is implied by the second part of the sentence? jisho says it can mean vice, tendency, implying that she has a weakness for cream. But that makes no sense with the second half of the sentence; so is it actually the opposite meaning? I couldn’t find any dictionary entry or info about 〜に癖がある.

At 18%:

菅原さんはスタッカートのついたような、少し弾んだ喋り方をする。泉さんとは対照的な喋り方だが、二つを織り交ぜながら喋る不思議ちょうどいい。
I get the first と, but the second one kinda threw me off

At 19%:

「昼勤だって就活で岩木くん抜けるのに!ほんと、困りますよね!辞めるなら辞める、前もって言ってくれないと、[…]」
I think I get the meaning, but does anyone have more info about this grammar point? Especially the dictionary form the second time I haven’t seen anywhere (I only saw mentions with past tense, so maybe this is something different?).

1 Like
At 15%

I think in this context it means a “peculiar nature” (often with a negative nuance when 癖 is used). So: 少しクリームに 癖があって = Something feels off in the cream
And then she continues with more negative things: the smell is too strong so it’s hard to eat.

At 18%

不思議 can take a to turn it into a kind of an adverb: “strangely”. It’s equivalent to " 不思議なことに". (Check 「不思議と」の類義語や言い換え・同義語-Weblio類語辞典)

I wonder if there’s a diff between this and 不思議に, which is the standard adverbial form of 不思議.

At 19%

辞める なら 辞める : I think this is a shortened sentence: you would add something after the で. Maybe equivalent to: 諦めるなら諦めてもいいけど…

Searching a bit, it seems the actual shortened version is “諦めるで構わないが”. This shortened version can only be used with the pattern VならVで.

7 Likes

癖がある or even stronger 癖が強い means, specifically for food, that something was laid thick (or really thick, respectively) (Edit: not sure anymore, check the link for yourself)
Last entry here, even though it doesn’t really help: 「クセがある」の類義語や言い換え・同義語-Weblio類語辞典

So, there’s a bit too much cream.

5 Likes

I was wondering about that, but only checked jisho, which didn’t mention that. Thanks!

That’s good to know. So it wasn’t the たら〜たで grammar point I was looking at.

Thanks for the explanation!

3 Likes

Huh, I just read a couple pages first and then thought “well, maybe I should check how far we’re supposed to read this week so I don’t read too far”… and as it turns out, I had already read exactly the right amount :sweat_smile:

Well, there’s not really much new to say about this week’s reading. What was good before is still good, and not all that much has happened yet, so there’s not a lot to comment on. I’ve read it, I guess :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Oh! That happened to me last week :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually, I’m starting to think that @mrahhal was right for the cream.
Somehow, I went with my past experience, from some random manga about food where there was too much of a given thing, but actually looking at the definition I mentioned, it says that “it has a characteristic that people may or may not like”. Huh.

5 Likes

Now I wish I just scratched my explanation instead of deleting it :joy: Oh, history is there.

Yeah exactly how I read it. Maybe because there was a に as well.

2 Likes