よつばと! Vol 9 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Thank you so much for all those great answers Kazzeon! Thank you!

you're right

I study Japanese for hours every day, but even my wife suggests its not worth the pain it causes me. So yes, you are right, no point in making it any more painful than it already is! Just have fun with it! Thank you Kazzeon!

1 Like

Just a few more if I may?!

Page 68 - what is the と in ジュラルミン みせないと? I know it must mean, “I want to show ジュラルミン [to Ena]”, but can’t figure out the grammar.

Page 70 - I thought どうしたの meant “what’s wrong?” - so why is Fuuka using that here after saying how cute Yotsuba’s bear is?

Page 72 - so funny!

Page 75 - In the first picture, I guess this is 乗っける, but why is it in て-form? If it has dropped the ください, I wonder why there is a question-mark. Or is it something different?

Page 76 - what is Fuuka saying in the last panel “study すっかー” ?

Page 79 - 作ればいいんだな? This looks to me like “make + if + good + explanation particle + declarative + な sentence ending particle”: “Is it good if I make it?” - any ideas?

The next couple of pages are so cute and funny, but I have to stop there for now! Thanks again for all your help!

1 Like

みせないと(いけない)= “I should show it (to Ena)”

Think the sense is kinda “ohh, it’s so cute I can’t stand it - what should I do?”

Oh quite.

Might leave the rest to Kazzeon. I haven’t got my copy on me. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you Belthazar!

Kazzeonです. (:joy: This never gets old for me.)

That’s quite the idea. :sweat_smile: I’d go for どうしよう? if that was the case. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s just Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary as
"What’s the matter?・“Where/when/why/how did you get it?”

Since Yotsuba just goes and says, みて!
So 風香 is like, “へー, it’s pretty cute. What happened? (with the above connotation)”
Basically waiting for Yotsuba to tell her the story. :slight_smile:

I read it as, “Place it here?” Not really a command or a request, but a suggestion?
ください would feel weird.

I think I’ve seen that before a few times. :thinking:

Yeah, it seems it’s a contraction of するか.
It’s basically 風香 saying, “勉強するかー” or "Study, huh?
There’s also the connotation of しようか “Shall I…” 勉強しようかー “Shall I study?”

Since she’s reminded of being home early because she has to study for a test.

I couldn’t find much besides a few HiNative answers. /:

I’m having some trouble with the translation, although I get the message. :sweat_smile:
You’re basically right, I think. :slight_smile:

You’re going from “It would be good if I did X.” to “I should do X.”
(I think this applies better if it’s something you’re doing for yourself, not because someone else asked you to.)

Sort of literal, “It would be good if I made coffee, right? For Fuuka.”

But it’s more like, “I should make coffee for Fuuka?”
(Although I still like the “sort of literal” version better.)

Since Yotsuba’s asking him to. Something like this? :sweat_smile:

I can’t really get something I’m happy with, so I’ll just move on. :joy:
I hope at least I didn’t mess it up too much. :cold_sweat:
誰か助けてくれ!:weary:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Kazzeon!

I’ve just had a quick read to the end of the chapter, and the only real problem I have in those last few pages is the final page, 88.

• what are they saying when they say とれない / とれた?
  • And the mum says the two friends are doughnuts? What does that mean?!

Nice chapter! Moving the coffee was quite the adventure!

going forward

I’ve got to change my study methods a bit, like you say, and certainly look at something a little less challenging than the translation method I’ve been doing with Yotsuba for the past 2 years! I’m thinking of watching a lot more anime now that I’ve discovered Animelon (English and Japanese subs!), and I’ve bought a Japanese reader to go through as well. So if I’m not about as much in the Yotsuba club from now on, I haven’t stopped, just getting more realistic and giving myself less pressure! Thank you all so much! Kazzeon and Belthazar - between you, you basically taught me all the Japanese I know!

3 Likes

取れる = to come off

要る = do they want donuts

2 Likes

Thank you so much again Belthazar! :+1: :four_leaf_clover: :smile:

1 Like

Oh, that looks pretty nice!
Is it the one recommended for the Absolute Beginner Book Club? :thinking: Or just similar?

That’s basically how I started reading stuff, since the 皆の日本語 books had short stories with the vocab at the bottom. Seems great for beginners. :slight_smile:

Watching anime is always great! :smiley: I’m glad you found some you enjoyed.

As for the Yotsuba club, if you continue reading at your own pace, have fun doing so, and learn something new from time to time, I’d say that’s the purpose of book clubs.

Imo, it’s not really about translating everything page by page and studying 10 grammar points per chapter (nothing wrong if you enjoy doing that), it’s more about practice and constant reading. :wink:

This club has been most of my studying for a while, and I think it’s thanks to it that I haven’t forgotten most of what I know. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!
You are a star Kazzeon!
:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::star::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Page 67 - よつばがコーヒー飲める くらい大きくなったら よつばに淹れてもらうかな

I think the よつばに is more like “toward Yotsuba”, or for Yotsuba in better English.
YenPress: “I’ll make some coffee for you when you get old enough to drink it, okay?”

2 Likes

Thank you so much Toyger!

1 Like

I just love this so much! My feeling exactly!!

1 Like

That’s really bizarre though; I don’t have the book/context, but normally I’m pretty sure you can’t use に+もらう that way:

• the basic rule is you cannot use もらう when the one doing the favour is yourself;
  • and 淹れる does not take a dative (に) argument AFAIK, so よつばに has to be the dative of もらう, which is the one doing the favour.

I actually asked my resident native speaker about this sentence and they spontaneously read it as “Yotsuba will make coffee for me”. So maybe it was really intended the way you say (which would make sense) but the grammar is incorrect IMHO, which is something to be aware of, I think—don’t say that yourself. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Honestly gramar is NOT my strong point, which is why I rely on the official translations and try to solve it based on the “solution” :wink:
But it’s a translation, it too can be wrong =P
Sometimes cause they changed it for better flow, or simply cause they made a mistake

2 Likes

Guess who finally caught up! :tada:
Let’s see how long that lasts :sweat_smile:

pg 72 was just…majestic :joy::joy:
The last page of the chapter is so cute and random xD (As if we could expect anything else from Yotsuba)

2 Likes

:eyes: This week went by so quickly! I haven’t really read last week’s chapter yet. :cold_sweat:

Discussion of Chapter 59 starts here.

Wuw! Almost everyone’s here. :smiley:

Woah, we’re halfway there! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Whoa-oh, livin’ on a prayer!

A quick warning to everyone: do not read this chapter while hungry.

So, page 106, はっけよい and のこった are sumo wrestling calls, spoken by the referee - both are used when action has stalled; the first means “put some spirit into it!”, the latter is the past tense of 残る, spoken to the wrestler on defence to indicate that he’s still in the ring.

Heh, it’s a 七輪 on page 107. Who was it again, with the tattoo? Rihanna? One o’ them singing-types.

6 Likes

I didn’t read Yotsuba last week, so here’s last chapter’s thoughts. (Déjà vu?)

Haha! I know that feeling. :sweat_smile:
I used to drink like two bottles of iced tea a day back in highschool (and college).
Didn’t feel right without. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is that a CD? :joy: Is it supposed to be a cookie? :thinking:
We see she’s working with paper, but it’s too round.

This brings me back. :open_mouth:
My cousins used to have one of those, and we used it for a while to play. :stuck_out_tongue:

Am I missing something? What’s スルー?
IIRC, on the English version it’s like, “She ignored it?” Considering the surprised face Yotsuba has when she sees the ball, but then starts talking about ジュラルミン.

Haha! :rofl:
A seal! How savage. :joy:

What could go wrong?
Oh, no.
Fuuka.exe has stopped working.

Aww. :blush: She’s apologizing. Even if Yotsuba doesn’t remember. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooh! Next is a Jumbo chapter. :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s basically this, only with disc-shaped backing paper - my search fu isn’t strong enough to turn up the exact same product. I’m fairly sure we’ve seen it before in the scenes where she’s sorting her candy haul.

[Edit]
Yep, there it is. Page 15 of this volume, behind the caramel corn bag:

[/Edit]

スルー

(Pretty sure it’s “through” in katakana.)

4 Likes