よつばと! Vol 9 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Oh yes, of course! I missed out Asagi’s line in the middle: それが問題なんですよ

My apologies!

:exploding_head:

I had no idea about that!

I fear to look any further into this! Are we talking transitive/intransitive here? Two words I’ve religiously avoided since starting Japanese! Arrgh, the more you learn, the more you realise you don’t know!

Thanks so much @ChristopherFritz

2 Likes

2 Likes

If the terms “transitive” and “intrasitive” themselves trouble you, you can think of them by their Japanese counterparts, “self move” (you act on yourself) and “other move” (you act on something other than yourself). If you’re good with the English terms, and that’s not the issue, then welcome to the world of those learning Japanese =D

And of course, I must link to this wonderful subtitled video:

2 Likes

Yeah, Asagi is just agreeing it’s a problem.
Ena means Yotsuba and Dad.

There’s no reason she would mention waking Asagi up as they’re sisters and that’s probably something she does every day. :joy:

And she would probably not use あげる, though she is fairly polite.

2 Likes

I figured Asagi agrees that waking is a problem (because she herself will have trouble waking), so Ena says she can wake Asagi.

Well, either way, someone’s getting awakened :wink:

1 Like

Thank you both Christopher and Kazzeon so much! Right, that’s my work cut out for me over Christmas! Have a great holiday both of you. And every other Yotsuba fan here too! :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s the case at all. Do you really see Asagi putting up with being woken up by Ena daily? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m quite sure she’s offering to wake Asagi in this instance only.

2 Likes

Yeah im in the asagi is woken camp. Ena using ageru for koiwai dad has an air of arrogance to it as well that just doesnt sit right in Japanese.
She could use ageru for yotsuba but yotsuba surely has no problem waking up for an adventure

Asagi has the same problem as koiwai dad so ena tries to help.

2 Likes

Page 163

So they’ve been driving around looking for the balloon event and eventually find a sign and drive in. Yotsuba is fast asleep in the car and dad, Asagi, and Ena around her are speaking. There are three speech bubbles.

1. ただの 河原だ
    “just a dry riverbed”
    This makes sense as they have indeed just driven over a wooden bridge over something like that.

2. それなりに 人いるねー
    I understand “there are people”, but I don’t understand それなりに
    Any help much appreciated
    こんな朝っぱらから
    The writing is tiny and difficult to read, but I think it is 朝っぱら, early morning.
    “Because it is so early in the morning”
    This will refer back to それなりに I guess.

3. 気球ないよー
    There are no balloons.

Any help, especially with that それなりに, much appreciated! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Can I get the few pages with the context for this? (The waking up part)

Do you need help with anything else?

2 Likes

それなりに 人いるねー

Okay, I think I’ve got it… “in a way there are people here, seeing as it’s so early in the morning”.

Thank you @Kazzeon !

2 Likes

I’d say the parking lot itself is a dry riverbed.

3 Likes

Page 211

Tora is kicking dad’s behind when it comes to flying 竹とんぼs and Asagi is rubbing it in good and proper. So then dad, his pride hurt, offers to swap 竹とんぼs with Tora.

Asagi says: うわー 男らしくない

Jisho says らしくない means unusual; different​, and DeepL gives me “Ugh. Unmanly”.

I was going to ask abut this, but no, I’ve figured out it comes from らしい, seems, ~ish, and I can see how that translation works now. So no question here, just sharing the fun and Asagi’s wicked sense of humour!

4 Likes

Page 218

…1個も 取れなかった…

I think Asagi is saying that she wasn’t able to get (definition number 6) even one (sweet). Is that right? No, don’t worry… that’s right! As always, asking the question answers the question! :grin:

3 Likes

Such confidence. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

You’ll also find 男らしい used where in English we might say “manly”.

But it's not always positive, as it's just "man-ish" such as a messy bedroom.

Of course, there's 女らしい as well.

3 Likes

And so often unjustified! :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much for these great examples, with pictures! Amazing! Thank you!

1 Like

Page 219

After all the fun, the adults are sitting on the grass and dad says something about how kids have no hesitation in jumping right into things.

Then Asagi says:

あめくらい買えばいいんですよ

あめ - sweets (or rain)
くらい - I know くらい means approximately, but can’t see how it works here
買えば - if buy
いい - good
ん - explantion particle
です - polite ending
よ - !

It would be good if we buy (an approximate amount of) sweets.

Perhaps she’s thinking of the journey back?

And that’s it! I’ve re-read volume 9! Still lots more volumes I’ve never even opened yet, let alone re-read! So still plenty more to do! Thank you for all your help everyone!

3 Likes

It also means a lot of other things :blush:

I think the “at least” meaning is appropriate in this case:

2 Likes

Ah! Yes! “some sweets at least” (if not something more substantial). Got it! Thank you so much! :+1:

2 Likes