よつばと! Vol 9 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Via ichi.moe:

I know, it can be difficult to follow all the て’s. But you get used to it eventually and it becomes easy to tell. (I hope. It will, right? Right?)

I don’t know if this is considered such here or not, but I believe that this portion is essentially “this area’s teddy bears”, but the “teddy bear” part is left out. Consider 「この辺のテディベア」 becoming 「この辺の」.

You can. As for the usage of the two が here…バトンタッチ! I pass this baton on to someone else to explain!

. But it’s really easy to think 置く, because it sounds right if you’re just looking at the words. I had thought the same at first as well. However, if that were the case, then 置く should be at the end of the sentence. (Also, I think にも will only follow a verb in a negative sentence. But that’s beyond my grammar level right now.)

仲良く is the adverbial form of the い-adjective, 仲良い. して is from the verb する. That said, from “The Handbook of Japanese Adjectives and Adverbs” by Taeko Kamiya, page 99:

Thus, 仲良くする would be “do becomes friends with”. You can think of it as altering the state of their relationship (Yotsuba and the teddybear) from being strangers to being close friends.

The する is in its て form to attach another verb to it, あげる. あげる is “to do for (the sake of someone else)”. In this case, I think the salesclerk is saying to do it for her(self). And the あげる is in the て form that is politely てください, and casually て, as a polite request. Add in the ね at the end, and it reads as: “Become good friends (with the bear) for me, okay?”

Edit: I could be wrong about the “for” person. It may be “for (the teddybear)” rather than the salesclerk. I get tripped up a bit on these “do for someone” verbs.

Anyone, please don’t hesitate to correct any mistakes I’ve made. Or explain those two が’s!

3 Likes

Wow!
Thank you so much @ChristopherFritz for such a detailed response!
Sadly I have to get off the computer right now, but later tonight I’ll study your reply in detail and I’m looking forward to it! Thank you so much! (And thank you too for your help over in volume 2!)

1 Like

If it’s the clerk talking and she says あげる, it cannot be for herself. くれる and あげる have a range of uses, but, normally, the basic constraint is that:

• with くれる the giver cannot be yourself;
  • and with あげる the receiver cannot be yourself.

In a lot of the simpler cases of double-が, including here, you can read the first one as の (here indicating possession, but also sometimes restriction), with the exclusive nuance of が: lit. “the ones in this area [and not others] are those whose hands and feet […]”

1 Like

Replying to myself, since I thought it was funny/interesting.

In 9 days, I went from this:

To this:

It seems I’ve read 261 manga chapters. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know some people (myself included) read more than that without issue, but it had been a while since I’ve read this much. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much @Carvs!

ギリギリアウト! :weary:

I fell asleep early yesterday. :sweat_smile:

Discussion of Chapter 58 starts here.

行くぞ!:triumph:

1 Like

Dunno what right Yotsuba has to criticise Juralumin’s sleeping posture considering the position she woke up in.

3 Likes

I didn’t read Yotsuba last week, so here’s last chapter’s thoughts.

Page 33:
You can basically guess that 何べん is “how many times”, but I didn’t know the kanji.
何遍 Apparently, while a common word, level 57 in WaniKani. :open_mouth:

:cry:

Page 36?
One would imagine that it’s excursion, but you never know with Yotsuba. :thinking:

Also, the answer messes with me a little. “A bigger place.”
A bigger place than an excursion? :dizzy_face: I imagine it’s compared to going to the store, a diner, etc.

Am I missing something? :sweat_smile:
She even says, “せいゆうよりでかい!” later.

Man, I just love plazas. I love exploring new places and buying a lot of stuff (mostly food).
Last time I went to LA, we went to a big Japanese plaza, but most people just stayed in a big dollar store, so a friend and I went to all the other floors (3), and wandered around for a bit. It was fun. :slight_smile:
Then, we woke up early, and went to another plaza near the hotel, I don’t remember the name right now. We bought some freshly cooked 肉饅, a sushi set from the market, and some fried squid, and ate them on a bench. I love that sort of stuff. It was really peaceful. :slight_smile: (And a lot earlier than I’m used to. :stuck_out_tongue:)

I might’ve told this story before! :laughing:

Mood.

The next panel is also great. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I more or less got it.
Since Dad says, “とーちゃんの言うことをよく聞いてー”.
Yotsuba thinks he’s saying like, “Do what I say or I won’t buy it.”
So she goes on her rant. Perhaps. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is just absurd. :exploding_head:

Fast chapter. :open_mouth: I’ll read the next one a bit later. (For real this time. :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

It’s the name of the shopping mall.

It’s a Steiff.

4 Likes

Gah! D: Dang names of stuff. :angry:

Seems like this one? (still absurd, btw)
https://www.steiff.com/en-gb/teddy-bear-replica-1908-403170.html

1 Like

Whoa, when I read it, my mind took the “50000” and placed a decimal for “simple yen to dollar” translation of “500”, but for some reason then registered it as “US$5.00”. So…about US$500? That’s a crazy expensive replica bear! Clearly I need to pay more attention to these things.

I just finished よつばと! volume 3 today, so I’ll be reading the next chapter in volume 9 on the bus tomorrow. (Gotta continue 俺物語!! tonight, as the first two volumes are free on Rakuten Kobo for a couple of weeks.)

2 Likes

It’s been a tough week. I’ve been studying Japanese too hard (reviews, reading, spending too long on stuff which is too difficult for me), and then I get demoralised and frustrated and end up angsty and unhappy. BUT…. it’s a gorgeous morning and it’s good to be back with Yotsuba, and you guys!

Page 60 - から! なんでこんな とこでねる! ねぞう わるいなー!
I mean, after 2 years of studying, I look at a sentence like this and still understand nothing until I use the dictionary! I even had to look up なんで before I recognised it! But anyway, the two things I finally can’t figure out are (1) is とこ “bed” or “floor”. I’m guessing floor as I think she’s saying “hey, why do you sleep on the floor?!”, and (2) what is ねぞう. Again, something to do with sleep I guess.

Page 62 - what is なんでしょーか? It looks like “why” + しょ + embedded question? I’ve no idea.

Page 64 - コーヒーだっつってるだろ. The つってる looks like it might be つる in ~ている form, but which meaning of つる? And what is that だっ doing there?

Page 66 - へくしっ - any ideas?

Page 67 - よつばがコーヒー飲める くらい大きくなったら よつばに淹れてもらうかな
よつばが - Yotsuba + identifier particle
コーヒー - coffee
飲める - to be able to drink
くらい - (1) apx (2) enough that
大きく - in a big way
なったら - なる, to become, in たら conditional form
よつばに - Yotsuba + に particle
淹れて - to make (tea or coffee) in て-form
もらう - to recieve / to get someone to do something
かな - I wonder

I wonder, when Yotsuba is big (old) enough to drink coffee, I”ll get her to make it.
I wonder, when you are big (old) enough to drink coffee, you’ll make it for me.
I wonder, when Yotsuba is old enough to drink coffee, if she’ll be the one who makes it.

Right, got stuff to do…… Back soon hopefully!

1 Like

None! :stuck_out_tongue: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary A different reading for 所. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I didn’t know the specific word either.
I don’t know if it’s just, “Your sleeping posture is bad.” or the expression “You’re tossing and turning while asleep.” Probably the expression.

“Hey! Why are you sleeping in a place like this? You’re tossing and turning in your sleep!”

なんですか? “What is it?”
なんでしょうか? “What is it? (polite)”・“What could it be?”
おひるごはんでしょうか? “Is it lunch?”

コーヒーだって言ってるだろ → コーヒーだと言っているだろ
“I’m telling you it’s coffee!”

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/slang#Using_for

“Achoo!” :sneezing_face:

I’m honestly not sure about the final translation. :thinking:

Don’t study too hard! Study hard enough. :wink:
As I’ve said before, there’s no point in getting demoralized; slow and steady wins the race. :slight_smile:
Mix things up a little if something’s too difficult for you; different resources, different grammar points.
Don’t get fixated on one thing if it’s not yielding results. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t usually get frustrated with Japanese, since I know it can be pretty hard.
So if I encounter something I don’t understand or can’t really figure out, I just move to something else.
(Or stop until I get my groove back.)

TL;DR: If you’re not having fun, you’re not studying right. :wink:
(YMMV with this one, but that’s how I try to do it. If I’m not having fun, I’m doing something wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all those great answers Kazzeon! Thank you!

you're right

I study Japanese for hours every day, but even my wife suggests its not worth the pain it causes me. So yes, you are right, no point in making it any more painful than it already is! Just have fun with it! Thank you Kazzeon!

1 Like

Just a few more if I may?!

Page 68 - what is the と in ジュラルミン みせないと? I know it must mean, “I want to show ジュラルミン [to Ena]”, but can’t figure out the grammar.

Page 70 - I thought どうしたの meant “what’s wrong?” - so why is Fuuka using that here after saying how cute Yotsuba’s bear is?

Page 72 - so funny!

Page 75 - In the first picture, I guess this is 乗っける, but why is it in て-form? If it has dropped the ください, I wonder why there is a question-mark. Or is it something different?

Page 76 - what is Fuuka saying in the last panel “study すっかー” ?

Page 79 - 作ればいいんだな? This looks to me like “make + if + good + explanation particle + declarative + な sentence ending particle”: “Is it good if I make it?” - any ideas?

The next couple of pages are so cute and funny, but I have to stop there for now! Thanks again for all your help!

1 Like

みせないと(いけない)= “I should show it (to Ena)”

Think the sense is kinda “ohh, it’s so cute I can’t stand it - what should I do?”

Oh quite.

Might leave the rest to Kazzeon. I haven’t got my copy on me. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you Belthazar!

Kazzeonです. (:joy: This never gets old for me.)

That’s quite the idea. :sweat_smile: I’d go for どうしよう? if that was the case. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s just Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary as
"What’s the matter?・“Where/when/why/how did you get it?”

Since Yotsuba just goes and says, みて!
So 風香 is like, “へー, it’s pretty cute. What happened? (with the above connotation)”
Basically waiting for Yotsuba to tell her the story. :slight_smile:

I read it as, “Place it here?” Not really a command or a request, but a suggestion?
ください would feel weird.

I think I’ve seen that before a few times. :thinking:

Yeah, it seems it’s a contraction of するか.
It’s basically 風香 saying, “勉強するかー” or "Study, huh?
There’s also the connotation of しようか “Shall I…” 勉強しようかー “Shall I study?”

Since she’s reminded of being home early because she has to study for a test.

I couldn’t find much besides a few HiNative answers. /:

I’m having some trouble with the translation, although I get the message. :sweat_smile:
You’re basically right, I think. :slight_smile:

You’re going from “It would be good if I did X.” to “I should do X.”
(I think this applies better if it’s something you’re doing for yourself, not because someone else asked you to.)

Sort of literal, “It would be good if I made coffee, right? For Fuuka.”

But it’s more like, “I should make coffee for Fuuka?”
(Although I still like the “sort of literal” version better.)

Since Yotsuba’s asking him to. Something like this? :sweat_smile:

I can’t really get something I’m happy with, so I’ll just move on. :joy:
I hope at least I didn’t mess it up too much. :cold_sweat:
誰か助けてくれ!:weary:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Kazzeon!

I’ve just had a quick read to the end of the chapter, and the only real problem I have in those last few pages is the final page, 88.

• what are they saying when they say とれない / とれた?
  • And the mum says the two friends are doughnuts? What does that mean?!

Nice chapter! Moving the coffee was quite the adventure!

going forward

I’ve got to change my study methods a bit, like you say, and certainly look at something a little less challenging than the translation method I’ve been doing with Yotsuba for the past 2 years! I’m thinking of watching a lot more anime now that I’ve discovered Animelon (English and Japanese subs!), and I’ve bought a Japanese reader to go through as well. So if I’m not about as much in the Yotsuba club from now on, I haven’t stopped, just getting more realistic and giving myself less pressure! Thank you all so much! Kazzeon and Belthazar - between you, you basically taught me all the Japanese I know!

3 Likes

取れる = to come off

要る = do they want donuts

2 Likes