よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Maybe they’re everywhere in Japan and Australia :stuck_out_tongue: doesn’t live in Japan or Australia
Actually though, I think there might be a shop that sells crepes like that just a couple blocks away from me LOL, I’ll have to check.
But in America, crepes are not typically sold as hand-held items. Thems fancy, sit-down restaurant food. (Which I still love, but it’s not the same)

Tbh I would feel like a creep, randomly turning up at a high school festival I have no connection to (meaning I don’t live in the community and don’t know someone whose kid goes there xD). But I would guess that if you lived in the community, you would kind of know when they happen, based on the time of year, and people you know who have kids, etc… Not sure if they advertise it locally via flyers, like you might a school fundraiser?

I’m trying to think if we did anything similar in high school, but I don’t think we did anything school-wide, where all the students participated like that. Of course, we also didn’t have homerooms, so that’s probably part of the reason why xD (The bigger reason was probably money and/or lack of parent/teacher willingness to coordinate the event) Sometimes the individual clubs/classes would do big events for fundraising purposes - I did plenty of choir fundraisers in my day, which were quite successful and pretty extravagant for a high school event (we prepped so much for those - it was a multi-course dinner, with sets, and costumes, and small group acts along with full choir performances…it was a big deal). The school had its own fundraising events aimed at the community, but those were all run by the parents, not the kids. The school would also do some fun events just for the students, but that’s not really the same.

1 Like

There are also a lot of food/drinks/music related events you could check out where you live.
Like festivals and stuff for the public, instead of focusing on school events.

Honestly, once I started going to that type of event, I noticed that there are a lot, people just don’t know about them. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LMAO yes that’s true, there are really a billion public festivals and events where I live now. But then I’m not supporting children’s hopes and dreams with my money! xD

In all seriousness, if I’m looking to go to something specifically for the food/drink/whatever, I’m definitely looking for a public festival, not a festival run by high schoolers xD But it seems like it would be a fun event, assuming there was some kind of community connection there also (eg, I went to school there, or grew up around there, or I know someone whose kids go there, etc). …Just to clarify xD

1 Like

I’ve been so busy that I’ve not had time to study and I’ve been feeling my Japanese slipping away… so please forgive my basic questions! Anyway, I’ll quickly finish chapter 49 now if that’s okay, and get started on 50 and 51 tomorrow morning! Thank you everyone!

Page 14

何持ってんの
This is clearly “what are you holding?” with an ん for the explanation particle and a の acting as a question marker, but I can’t help but wonder what it would be like if less casual… 何持っているんですか

はしるな~って - “don’t run” + casual quotation particle
いわれたけどはしって - “[I] was told” + “but” + “run” + casual quotation particle
だいじょーぶっていって - “okay” + casual quotation particle + “go” in て-form
ゴロゴローってなって - “rolling” + casual quotation particle + “to become” in て-form
ひつじがにげてった - “sheep” + が + “run away” in て-form
Yotsuba, excitedly: “I was told not to run but then it was okay to go and I started to roll and the sheep ran away”

Page 15

あのなー - not sure about this, though it is clearly a filler, an “umm” or “ahhh” of some kind
バターもつくったよ - [I] also made butter
あさパンにつけてたべた - we put it on our bread this morning and ate it

Page 16

梨 いっぱいもらったから あげるね
梨 - なし - pears
いっぱい - amount necessary to fill a container, full, a lot
もらった - た-form of 貰う, to receive
から - from
あげる - to give
ね - sentence ending particle
I know I’m looking at some complicated grammar here! Can anyone help?

Page 23

さて なんでしょー
Okay, I think this is “well, what is it?”, with the でしょー forming a question. But why do I think that, and what other meaning is going on in that でしょー?

あのなー - another あのなー, same as page 15. Is this a set phrase, or just something Yotsuba likes to say?

Lovely chapter! (And I’ve got to admit, I love the pages with no dialogue! lol!). But I felt Yotsuba was a bit out of character at the end! I’d have imagined her just handing over the pears proudly, unaware that they are all ぐちゃぐちゃ!

1 Like

:thinking: :stuck_out_tongue:
何持ってんの is 何持っているの, remember :wink: (so the の is the explanation particle)
何持っているんですか would be formal, yes. :slight_smile:

“I was told not to run, but I said, “Running’s fine!” (はしってだいじょーぶっていって), and I started rolling, and the sheep ran away.” :slight_smile:

あのなー basically, “You know,” or implying you’re going to start telling a story
Everything else sounds fine

Not complicated! :smiley:
梨 いっぱいもらったから あげるね
梨 - なし - pears
いっぱい - amount necessary to fill a container, full, a lot
もらった - た-form of 貰う, to receive
から - from because; since​ (follows verbs, adjectives)
あげる - to give
ね - sentence ending particle
“Since I received a lot of pears, I’ll give you some. :slight_smile:
You had most of it, just the から. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re basically right, but we have to take context into consideration. Yotsuba already knows what it is, so she’s saying it like, “Now, what can it be?” or “I wonder what it is…:stuck_out_tongue:

あのな is pretty common, yes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nono, just in Japan. Next time you’re over there, though…

Time for a long-term plan, then. Step one: insinuate yourself into the community…

I managed to visit Nara on the same weekend of the Basara Matsuri by pure chance, and on my most recent visit, we were in Kyoto on the same day as Fushimi Inari’s Shinko-sai and Omi Jingu’s Omi Matsuri, but I’d still rather like to know how to find these things on purpose.

何を if you wanna go full polite. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Kazzeon and @Belthazar!

Okay - time to make a start on chapter 50!

Page 26

また買ってないや 買っときます
また - again, and, also, still
買って - to buy, in て-form
ない - negative
や - and
買っと - buy, but not sure what っと is, unless it is a quotation marker
きます - come
“I / you still haven’t bought it, and you’ve come to buy?

浜屋さんに おいてるから 知ってる?
浜屋さんに - to Mr/s Hamaya
おいてる - ???
から - since or because (not from, because it follows a verb, thank you Kazzeon!)
知ってる? - do you know?
No idea!

Page 27

Third panel - おねむなの?
I’m guessing it starts with an honourific お and ends with a question marking の, but otherwise any help here much appreciated!

Page 30

いや 抜きじゃない ってことだ
いや - disagreeable (ie, because of the game, “good”)
抜きじゃない - not without (ie “with”)
って - quotation particle
こと - thing (this must be some kind of grammar, quotation particle + こと, but I don’t know or can’t remember what it is)
だ - copula
I’ve got a headache trying to work this one out!

外に食べに 行くってこと!
It’s that same grammar again って + こと
He’s obviously saying “I said we will go out to eat”, is ってこと “I said”?

Page 33

メシ食ったら後で はっぴ買いに行こう
メシ - I can’t find this in Jisho now, but I know it is “meal” - we already had it on page 29
食ったら - to eat + たら conditional (but I can’t see how there is an if in here)
後で - afterwards
はっぴ - I think he’s saying “happy”, and I’m sure Yotsuba does too, but it’s a kind of coat.
買いに行こう - let’s go and buy
After we have eaten our meal, let’s go and buy a 法被

とーちゃんは すっかりやさんだなー
とーちゃんは - dad + は
すっかり - all, completely
やさんだ - no idea, but I guess it must come from やる somehow (as in Yotsuba saying, yes, dad you always forget everything)
なー - sentence ending particle

Exhausted, I need a break here!

I haven’t got the book on me, though this one I can handle without it:

買っておく = buy (in advance).

“Ah, I haven’t bought one yet. I’ll go buy one now.”

Maybe look it up in hiragana? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, he’s unquestionably referring to the happi coat here. He knows what he’s saying.

Yotsuba may not, I’m not sure.

1 Like

Goodness! Yes! My brain is so exhausted that I wrote that wrong! Of course he knows what he is saying. What I meant to write was that I [first] thought he was saying “happy”! My apologies.

But thank you so much @Belthazar for that and your other pointers too! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Page 34

いや あっちの 定食屋に しよっかなー
いや - again, Jisho is giving me “disagreeable”. I thought いや was just “no”.
あっちの 定食屋に - that family restaurant + に
しよっ - ???
かなー - I wonder
Any help with that しよっ much appreciated!

Page 38

なんでキョトンとする…
なんで - why
キョトン - puzzled look
と - is this a quotation particle? What is this と here?
する… - to do
Any help with that と much appreciated!

Page 40

どうしたら いいんだ…?
どう - how
したら - する in conditional たらform
いい - good
ん - explanation particle
だ - copula
Clearly she is saying “what should I do” but again I’m wondering about that たら. Is this a conditional sentence?

Page 42

ほらよつば あっちの席に行こう
ほら - look
よつば - our hero
あっちの席に - that chair + に
行こう - let’s go
Dad is obviously telling Yotsuba to get out of the chait and leave with him, but what am I missing here? “Look Yotsuba that chair in let’s go”?

Page 43

別に一緒でもいいですよ
I think she is saying “but separately or together is good”, but where is the “or” in the sentence, or has it just been left out?

よつばは見てて面白いんで
I think Tora is saying that she is is not very good with kids but that Yotsuba looks interesting. Is the 見て here “to try out” or “to see that”, and why does it have two てs?

And what is dad saying when he says 助かる? Is he agreeing that sitting down and joining Tora would save the trouble of Yotsuba having a tantrum? (If so, what awful parenting! lol!)

I just have to stop again! My brain is done for! Thank you so much everyone for putting up with, and even answering, my questions!

1 Like

“Disagreeable” is the official definition, but it’s also used to mean “no”. Dunno if いや-as-no is a colloquial pronunciation of いえ or a colloquial definition for いや, though.

A 定食屋 is, like, a set-meal restaurant. Dunno what the best English version of that would be. Diner?

しよう

This is どれにしようかな again. Or at least, a variant on it. Dunno what’s with the glottal stop, though.

It’s a variant of the quotation particle. [sfx]と[verb] = [verbing] like [sfx]. This is something like “Why are you doing “looking blankly” (at me)”?

Yeah. ~たらいい = should do. “If I did [verb], that would be good”.

I think this is 別に meaning “not especially”. “I don’t really mind. (Eating) together is fine.”

Think it’s as simple as “looking at / watching Yotsuba is fun”. 見てて = 見ていて = 見ている in て-form

I’ll have my copy in a couple of hours, so I’ll be able to cover what I’ve skipped over then. Assuming Kazzeon doesn’t get there first. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Belthazar! You are amazing! Really, thank you so much!

御睡 sleeping; being sleepy
I thought it was just from 眠い, but apparently it’s its own word. :stuck_out_tongue:
なの is that so?; is it?
“Is she sleepy?” (Since she’s saying she’s full, which is uncommon.)

This one’s a little abstract.
“No, that thing is not without.” or “No, we’ll have dinner.” or, in light of newer information,
perhaps “No, I mean we won’t go without.” (referring to saying the opposite before because of opposite day, like “I didn’t really mean that we wouldn’t have breakfast.”)

Something like this, (at the bottom):
http://yesjapan.com/YJ6/question/3560/how-does-koto-change-the-meaning
“I mean we will go out to eat!”

I found ADHD after Googling すっかりやさん, may be wrong, but it sort of fits. :stuck_out_tongue:
So, “Dad gets distracted easily, huh?” or “Dad’s very forgetful!”

2 Likes

Okies. Home now.

浜屋 it most likely the name of the shop - for example. おいて is おく again, but here I think it’s the “put” meaning - as in “they have been put in the shop” = “the shop has them in stock”. I think that’s just my gut saying this, though.

知ってる is a new sentence. “Do you know it? It’s the dry-goods store by the station.”

御眠 (おねむ) = sleepy. She’s wondering if Yotsuba is sleepy, I guess. Probably because she came out of the house just to say “I’m full!”

It’s opposites. :stuck_out_tongue: Which is to say, he’s specifically contradicting the last thing he said, which was 今日は昼メシ抜き “we’re skipping lunch today”. Now he’s clarifying “No, we’re not skipping” (because it’s opposites)

Yeah. Again, this is following on from the last speech bubble:

Dad: すっかり忘れてたよ - I completely forgot!
Yotsuba: とーちゃんは すっかりやさんだなー - Dad is Mister Completely (Forgot).

Though of course in English, we’d just say “Mister Forgetful”.

Think he’s trying to get Yotsuba to sit at a different table, and stop bothering Tora. “Let’s go (sit) in that chair.”

Is it awful parenting? He’s basically thanking her for being so accepting of Yotsuba’s presence. If she hadn’t been fine with it, he probably would have had to physcially drag Yotsuba out of the restaurant.

2 Likes

I was also a little confused there, but:
It says it takes the to particle. :slight_smile:, so what Belthazar says is correct.

“Look, Yotsuba. Let’s go to that chair over there.”
あっちの席 to that chair over there
行こう let’s go

Basically, but.
助かる or 助かった is very common, and it usually means that someone else did something for you that saved you or helped you.

In this case, it’s not necessarily because of bad parenting, but more because she humored Yotsuba.
So he’s like, “Thank you (for putting up with her), you saved me (the trouble of doing whatever, but in a way that means, “that’s very nice of you”, at least that’s how I see it.)” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you both so much @Kazzeon and @Belthazar! Your answers are all wonderful and have helped me (and no doubt many future readers) no end! Thank you so much!

As for the parenting...

…I see what you mean. Thank you! But I know if I had ever left my parents to go into a restaurant on my own (not that I ever went inside anything more fancy than a cafe till I was an adult), talked to my parents like that, or tried to get my own way by means of throwing tantrums, I certainly wouldn’t end up eating there… I’d be lucky to be eating anything much for the rest of the day!

2 Likes

I’m sure she’ll be scolded in some way, but imo this is more of a smooth result, and her dad’s known for being easygoing. :stuck_out_tongue:

If that was me (the person being visited by Yotsuba when I’m eating), I would react the same way.
I would be like, “It’s fine by me, though.” Then it’s up to the parent to say if they’re ok with it or not.

1 Like

Page 44

そんなに - Yotsuba is drooling over the menu and dad says そんなに? そんなにか?, which Jisho has as so much; so; like that - is he saying “so much drool?” - ?!

それにしろ - This looks like “that + に + imperative form of する”, lit: “do to that”. I guess this is the most casual way to indicate your choice. I wonder, how could I say this in more polite Japanese? Is それにします okay?

Page 45

I love how Yotsuba orders on this page… She mis-reads the menu, then spells words out bit-by-bit, gets flustered and impatient, then tries to make it all okay by shoving a です at the end…… Pretty much the same technique as me!

Page 46

First panel - よつば これにした - is this Yotsuba speaking? And is she now deciding on something else?! Funny!

よくここ来んの? - “do you come here often”, to my ears, the dad, not knowing what to say, comes out with what sounds like a cheesy chat-up line. But I can’t read the little commentary below the speech bubble - can someone help?! Thank you!

Page 47

写真こないだもらった - I’m confused by the こないだ here, it looks like he is saying that he didn’t get the photographs! And ideas?

かわいく撮れてたから 机の前に飾ってるよ
かわいく - cute, in conjunctive ending
撮れてた - photographed
から - because
机の前に - in front of desk
飾ってる - displayed
よ - sentence ending particle
“The photographs were [so] cute [that] I displayed them in front of my desk”

And here I suddenly realised what was going on! :bulb: I remember Asagi delivered some photos taken by Tora to Yotsuba’s dad via Yotsuba (as an attachment!) but I thought we hadn’t seen them yet. Only now have I realised that we have! They are the ones above his desk (page 6). One day I’ll learn to read manga! :books:

I wish I could do more but I have to head out now (somewhere important to go!). I’m working again later today, and for the next week or so, but I am determined to find time to catch up! Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

I…I’m here before Belthazar and Kazzeon? What is this? xD
Uh…sweats

That was how I read it xD
As for それにしろ, I don’t think I can help with making it polite, but it seems equivalent to saying “I’ll do/let’s do the [restaurant item name]” when ordering from a restaurant in English. I would guess the polite way in this particular situation would just be the more normal way of ordering something in a restaurant, with a これをください? Grammar and speaking is not my forte, if you couldn’t tell

I think it is Yotsuba talking, but it looks like she’s still pointing at the same picture, and she’s using past tense, so I think she’s just talking to herself, repeating what she got.

It says 俺達は初めて - it’s their first time there :slight_smile:

I believe こないだ is 此間, “the other day.” So, taking everything from the whole panel, he’s saying “thanks for the photos from the other day” (or something to that effect - as I mentioned, I’m not a grammar expert xD)

3 Likes

Just by a little. :eyes:

I read that as:
“(Do you like that dish) so much?; to that extent?” because of the drool. :stuck_out_tongue:

While it is “Let’s do that.”, I’d go with (heh), “Let’s go with that.” for a better translation. :slight_smile:

This would be, “I’ll do that.” or “I’ll go with that.”
“Let’s go with that” or “Let’s do that.” in polite would be それにしましょう (if I’m not wrong)

Oh, no. My uh… copy of Yotsuba doesn’t have that. :eyes:
But, since we see Torako looking towards Yotsuba, I’d say she’s telling her what she got. :wink:

2 Likes