よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

It’s pretty much Peak Tokyo here and I’m so busy I can hardly breathe. The only Japanese I’ve been doing is reading Yotsuba, no dictionary or anything, on the train to and from work. It’s fun seeing how much (and how little!) I understand but I do want to do some proper reading too. Hopefully tomorrow.

In the meantime… in this first chapter… can someone clear something up for me? On page 11 I thought Yotsuba didn’t have a souvenir to give to the people next door and her dad says never mind, just telling the story is enough, but then she leaves with a bag of snacks which she presents to the mum and which they later eat together. Where did I read wrong on page 11 regarding her dad’s comments?

Brilliant!!!

2 Likes

Yotsuba says, おみやげだ
おみやげもってかないと! → 持って行かないと
I have to take the souvenirs!
Remember the ないと

Then her dad says, 持っていってこい
牧場の話してあげろよ
Go take them and come back. (probably)
Also tell them stories about the farm. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much Kazzeon! You are a star! Thank you!

1 Like

Some more Yotsuba to start the week :smiley:

Discussion of Chapter 50 starts here.

Remember you can always ask questions about previous chapters. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just laughed so hard when she pulled out her “phone” :rofl:

3 Likes

Ok, what on earth is a “dry-goods store”? Cause that’s what Jisho is giving me for 呉服屋, and the Wikipedia page on that subject doesn’t have an English equivalent. They sell, like… flour and rice?

Anyone know exactly what Yotsuba is ordering? こどもドミたまハンバーグセット = kid’s (something) egg hamburger set, but what’s the ドミ? From Jisho, I’m getting maybe 土味 (the house specialty sauce or something?).

Love what she’s done with her hair. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Apparently it’s こどもデミたまハンバーグセット, but she said it wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:
Still don’t know what it is, though. :joy:

2 Likes

Ah, well that makes it easy. It’s demi-glace sauce.

“Apparently” according to whom? Are we meant to infer from her earlier mispronunciation on page 43?

1 Like

According to me Google searching こどもドミたまハンバーグセット. :stuck_out_tongue:
Google images suggests the other, and then shows a lot of images with that on menus.

3 Likes

Ohhh, Goooogle.

Well, everyone’s homework for this week is to make some and send it to me. I’ll let you know whose was best. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Who? Yotsuba? Oh yes, page 48! How do you guys manage to notice stuff like this? Even though it’s right there in front of me on the page, I still miss it!

Not a chance of me keeping up in this volume I’m afraid, I’m just too busy. Still reading, but no time to ask questions.

2 Likes

At least you’re reading. :slight_smile: I hope you can catch up at some point, and ask the things you missed.
I’m the opposite right now, I have more free time than usual. :stuck_out_tongue: (I don’t like it)

1 Like

Dammit… Here I thought I was catching up to ya all (nearing the end of volume 2) and now y’all gone to another volume… (T⌓T)

2 Likes

:thinking:

They’re talking about buying the happi for the festival, I think.

Yes! Next seems to be a 風香 chapter. :heart_eyes:

すっかりやさん? ADHD, huh?

What a mood.
Don’t smoke, kids.

And, yeah. After reading, I think it’s implied that she doesn’t know how to read デ and thinks it’s ド. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d have to have no heart to think it’s a problem for Yotsuba to sit with you. :blush:

:open_mouth: Yotsuba lore!

やるじゃん!

Never mind. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oops! A little late again. :sweat_smile:

Discussion of Chapter 51 starts here.

Remember you can always ask questions about previous chapters. :stuck_out_tongue:
@marcusp, are the busy weeks over, or is April also no good?

1 Like

My overall feelings on this chapter: I confess this is… not my favourite chapter. Think I empathise too much with Yotsuba’s disappointment - I absolutely hate scenes in books or other media where a young character is looking forward to something with great excitement, only to face crushing disappointment instead. Also… it kinda turns chapter 45 into further setup for disappointment as well…

I wanna visit a school cultural festival someday…

2 Likes

Hoping to do some reading tomorrow! :+1:

2 Likes

That face on pg 78 :cry: But on pg 80, that crepe they bring her looks delicious, omg. I’m definitely going to be on the lookout for a crepe like that now, I want one :eyes:

Even though Yotsuba’s cake experience was disappointing, at least she didn’t find out that the panda wasn’t real xD

The 文化祭 seems like such a cute and fun concept. I would definitely go to one if I ever had the opportunity. Also, I really liked the rainy day scenes on the first page for some reason. So rainy :relaxed:

3 Likes

Fortunately, those sorts of shops are basically everywhere. I can mention a few off the top of my head. :slightly_smiling_face:

It… it’s not?

Very agree. I wonder if there’s some way to find them. I guess not, because they probably don’t want half the internet turning up…

Guess if you live near a school, you can just make sure you walk past it every day, and then you’ll see if there’s one going on? Though perhaps they’re not quite as extravagant in real life as they are in anime/manga.

I remember doing school fetes back in the day here in Australia. That was a long time ago, mind…

2 Likes

I mean, we used to do something similar in high school, but it was more because everyone had to make a product and sell it, less fun involved. But if you’re just going to eat and listen to some music, it’s basically the same. I guess we also have events just for the students, so it came out in our favor.
I even recently went to a school event and ate for free, even though I graduated 2 years ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes