よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Page 196

Frame 1

予定たててんのか えらいな - at first I couldn’t figure out if this was 立てる, to stand up etc, or 建てる, to build, but then I found 立てて can also mean especially; particularly; wholeheartedly.

I’m still lost with the kana, but perhaps the ん is explanation and the のか is endorsing and questioning the preceding statement.

So altogether we have “It is great/admirable that you have built/erected a plan”, or perhaps “it is great/admirable that you have a wholehearted plan”?

Frames 2 and 3

Yotsuba looks shocked and says よてい!? これよてい!? “Plan?! This is a plan?!” Dad replies with “that’s right, that is a plan”. Yotsuba then looks admiringly at one of her packets of sweets and says to herself “a plan?”

So, what is going on? Has Yotsuba surprised herself by being so organised? Or did she not know the word よてい before? Or did she not realise that this word would apply to the organization of sweets?

I also wondered if there might be another meaning to よてい and found 輿丁, which perhaps kind of links in with the last chapter. But I just don’t know.

Frame 4

Dad says “today, from now, our plan is to go shopping”. Is he teaching her the word よてい in using this sentence? His face looks like it is in teaching mode and the sentence seems more formal than it would usually be.

In any case, Yotsuba relies with そうだったのか! “Is that right?!” (By だった is past tense, isn’t it? I wonder why she uses past tense).

Then she adds じゃあかいものにいかないと, which sounds to me like “well then, shopping, don’t go, with”. Google translate tells me it is “then, I have to go shopping”. I have no idea how it made that leap!

Frame 5

Yotsuba is packing away her sweets and says おかしは しまっとこー, which I think means “time to put away the sweets”, but I’m not sure why it’s とこ rather than とき.

Frame 6 - two more sentences with よてい

なにかうよてい? - what do you plan to buy?
秋の服を買う予定 - I plan to buy autumn clothes (the only sentence on the whole page I am entirely confident about!)

Blimey, what a difficult page! Well, for me at any rate! Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

1 Like

Probably 立てる #4. to make; to establish; to set up; to develop; to formulate​

Then, the sentence is 予定立てているのか えらいな :slight_smile:

Your translation is correct. :stuck_out_tongue:
“It is great/admirable that you have built/erected a plan”

Although I think these are two sentences.
“Oh, you’re making a plan? That’s great.”

The よていかー is more like, “A plan, huh?”
Other than that, it seems that Yotsuba has heard the word before, but didn’t really know what it meant, and now she related the action of planning to the word, so she’s like, “So that’s what it is.”
You can more or less figure this out since she uses the word a lot from there on. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it may be implied that either Dad had already told her what they were doing today, and he’s just reminding her while using the new word. Like, “The plan for today is to go shopping.”, or that he had already planned it, and is just telling her now.
And she’s like, “So that was the plan?” or, “Is that right?” (Basically the same.)
“じゃあかいものにいかないと” “Then, we have to go shopping.”
Remember the part where Yotsuba has to cross the bridge to give 風香 some milk? :stuck_out_tongue:

おかしは しまっとこー -> おかしはしまっておこう (Volitional; It’s always between 9 or 10 :sweat_smile:)
“Let’s put away the sweets.”
Remember っと can be ってお, you also usually see it a lot with っておく. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:bowing_man:

Thank you so much Kazzeon!

I have no idea what your actual job is, but you ought to be a Japanese teacher! You’d be brilliant! And your memory! Amazing! Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help.

1 Like

She definitely seems to have an idea of vaguely what a plan is, but it seems like she’s surprised at how easy it is to make one. Maybe? Though now we’re talking character interpretation, and I’m on more shaky ground there. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wish! :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m thinking about studying for the N3 next semester, and then I’ll think about it for some more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nearly there…!

Page 199 - せいがでますねー - is this が出ますねー, meaning something like “hard work!”, perhaps?

I think it must be, because (1) dad then says she is getting to know lots of difficult words, and then (2) she said she heard the woman in the field say it!

Page 203 - なにが そこまで, I’m pretty sure I know each word (what, there, up to), but can’t quite work out what he is saying here.

Page 206 - in the first frame dad is obviously saying “you are good at finding them Yotsuba, I haven’t found even one”, but can someone remind me of what exactly this らん ending is?

Page 209 - あのはっぱ いっこだけ あかい! - “that leaf is the only one that is red!”, no problems there, but I can see that the rest of the page is going to be a challenge. Pity to stop now, but I must. Only a few pages left, I’ll hopefully come back to it later!

Thank you again Kazzeon and Belthazar!

1 Like

Haha! :joy:

:stuck_out_tongue:

https://jisho.org/word/そこまで
Don’t really know how to translate it literally, but it’s something like, “Why go that far?”

見つからない :slight_smile:

Oh! You’re almost there. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you again so much Kazzeon! Hopefully I’ll finish this volume tomorrow morning before I go to work! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Page 209

とーちゃん あきしってる? - “Dad, is autumn is coming?”

おしえてやろうか? - “shall I tell you?”

ほう 教えてくる - “oh! Come and tell me”

いろんなものが あかくなったりする… - “various things turn red”

とか やまとか うみとか - “trees, mountains, the sea, etc…”

へぇー 海も… - “eh? The sea too…”

それからおなか ペコペコになる - “after all that, I’m getting a bit hungry”

ふーかが いってた - I have no idea about this one… someone was saying something…

あ あかだ - “ah, a red one!”

So, in the end, page 209 wasn’t too difficult at all. Just the one question… what is ふーか in panel 5?

Thanks again!

1 Like

:thinking:

知ってる?

教えてくれ

“And then, your stomach gets hungry.” (I think, since she’s continuing the part from before.)

へぇ, who could this Fuuka they speak of be? :eyes:

1 Like

I’m an idiot! :grimacing:

Thank you! That’ll teach me to read and type in a hurry! :face_with_head_bandage:

Brilliant! Now you point it out, I can see it! Otherwise I’d never have got that! :confounded:

You are a real star Kazzeon! :prince: Thank you so much! :bowing_man:

1 Like

The final few pages!

Page 210

そんな手が - “such a hand”? This has to be some kind of idiom I guess. Any ideas?

あとどれくらい - Google translate gives me “how long”, which makes some sense, but Jisho gives me nothing useful.Given that Yotsuba’s answer is 15, it must be “how many”.

ほんきできたか - I guess Yotsuba is saying 本気で来たか, but what does it mean to add the 来る here? Something like “are you really going to do it for real?”!

Page 212

とーちゃん ばっかり そんな すてきな… - “only dad can find such nice [acorns]”.

そういうのは こどもには むずかしいの!! - it’s difficult for kids to find such things!!

でも松ぼっくりより どんぐりのが上だな - Okay, so this sentence compares acorns and pine cones (I always get a headache trying to figure out comparative sentences) and I guess that 上 here is being used as “better than”. Pine cones are better than acorns.

And then dad says また でっかいのあった and this causes Yotsuba to throw it at him. I have two theories: (1) また でっかいのあった means “plus, it is huge”, and Yotsuba throws it at him because he is being condescending. Or, (2) また でっかいのあった means “can you find another, but bigger”? And Yotsuba throws it at him as it be-littles her find, and raises too high an expectation (a bit like Asagi being asked to find a 5-leaf clover back in volume 3). Any ideas?

Page 213

Sorry, I can’t figure out the kanji in the second panel… and that might hold the key to what was going on before.

Page 214

よつばは どんぐり ひろいびとに なれるかも しれない…!
よつばは - the one and only Yotsuba, “I”
どんぐり - acorn
ひろいびと - I guess 拾う+”person”, “collector”, but why does 拾う turn into ひろい?
に - particle
なれる - to become skilled in
かも - perhaps
しれない…! - to become known (in the negative here, but not meant as such)

“I might become well known as a skilled acorn collector”

Done! Thank you again so much Kazzeon and Belthazar for all your patience and kindness. I’ve only been able to read Yotsuba because of this book-club, and for a long time now it has basically been just you two answering all my questions. I can’t tell you how grateful I am. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey! Was gonna answer a bit earlier, but I was eating. :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought the same, perhaps https://jisho.org/word/手
#6, “That kind of trick/hand.” or #13, “That kind of move.”
She’s basically going, “Yeah, I’ll just pick up some more, and then we’ll go. :slight_smile:

https://jisho.org/word/何れくらい :smiley:
“How many more do we have to pick up before we can buy clothes?”

I think this has to do with the fact that とーちゃん has a serious mode, so she’s saying,
“So the serious mode has come…”

松ぼっくりより - compared to 松ぼっくり
どんぐりのが上だな - どんぐり are 上
So, it’s “Acorns are better than pine cones.” :stuck_out_tongue:
I always have a hard time with these, too.

I found another big one. :stuck_out_tongue:

投げんなよ “Don’t throw it.”

1 Like

Other way around. 松ぼっくりより more than pine cones, どんぐりのが上 acorns are better.

He found another huge acorn. The one he’s holding.

投げんな.

Compound noun. 旅人 = traveller, 恋人 = lover, 拾い人 = collector. It’s not in Jisho, but it does get hits on Google (including lots of pictures from the time all the Japanese fans picked up rubbish at the last FIFA World Cup, and it went all viral).

(I confess the fact that it’s just us two makes me a little sad…)

2 Likes

ちょっとだけ, but it’s better than just stopping.
We could all migrate to the newer book clubs, but I also wanna keep reading Yotsuba. .-.

Speaking of newer book clubs, I might finish the other 少女終末旅行 chapters I’m missing.

Do we continue with Volume 9 now? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you both so much! I’ll work through those answers when I get back from work tonight! Thank you!

I’m also a bit sad that it’s just us three left. This manga is so good that I don’t really understand why there aren’t dozens of people reading along.

Should be start vol.9? On the one hand I would love to, but on the other hand perhaps we ought to have a good long break in order for people to catch up? The problem is, with so many bookclubs running now, the chances of someone either working through all 8 volumes to catch up, or just starting at volume 9, are very slim.

And, speaking personally, my plans are first to go back to cover what I missed in vol 4 (just a quick read-through with the vocab list) and then perhaps I’d be better off starting with Sweet Chilli’s Home when that gets going? I’d be one of hundreds of beginners there, rather than the only one! I just don’t know.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think people are catching up any time soon (not to say ever). :joy:
Perhaps we wait until someone else can join us, at least one more person. :sweat_smile:
Leave it in a hiatus, perhaps? Since you say you have other plans. :slight_smile:

:rofl:

I’ll start calling Chili’s that. :laughing:

That’s a little optimistic. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also the fact that every time I read something else, it’s mostly fine.
Instead of having a lot of fun like I do when I read Yotsuba. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Good idea! Perhaps a note in the main thread saying that we are waiting for more readers before starting vol.9?

I’m sure it’ll happen, I hope it’ll happen, there is no way I want to stop reading Yotsuba!

Exactly!!! :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

So, what have you guys been up to? :eyes:

I see that you liked some of my Vol. 4 comments, did you finish reading that?

Lately, I’m just waiting for the チーズスイートホーム club to start. :upside_down_face:

So, I’ve also been everywhere on the forums, since I don’t have much else to do. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Cheers Kazzeon! No, not yet, still working my way through it - it goes in fits and starts. Plus I’m back on WK, Kitsun, and Bunpro, which keep me busy. Plus I’m reading a Gundam manga (reading = looking up kanji in the dictionary, and ignoring grammar!), so nothing is getting done very fast. But I hope that some progress is being made.

I also want to make a start on volume 9 of Yotsuba for when we eventually get going with that, but no time to do so yet!

And yes, back on WK the temptation is always there to spend time on the forums, and I’ve seen you around - as wise and as helpful as you always are!

1 Like