よつばと! Vol 13 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

It’s thrown me off a bit, too. I noticed while looking at page numbers today, the second-to-last chapter doesn’t show its title page until six page in!

3 Likes

Possibly the trick, then, would be to count the number of pages between title pages, and see if that matches the separations on the contents page. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Page 10

Yotsuba pulls out a small tree branch from her bag and says: これはいいえだ!

This was probably covered in the previous volume (which I still haven’t read, sorry) but is the え here 柄, handle, or stalk? Peeking at the next page, she seems to use it as a dowsing rod. Looking up dowsing rod in Jisho returns nothing at all!

1 Like

Page 14

Yotsuba has given Asagi a stone and says it looks like an elephant. Asagi says ぱおーん. Any idea what she might be saying here?

Yotsuba tells he she’s looking at it the wrong way up and then she can see it. Next Yotsuba shows her another stone and in the final speech bubble of the page Asagi says: ほう. Any idea what she is saying there?

1 Like

This is 枝, branch.

Elephant noise.

Or at least, she says she can see it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t remember without context. I’m gonna have to check when I get home.

4 Likes

Page 15

Asagi guesses “tiger” and Yotsuba says that’s wrong, then says:

これはじがかけるいし!すごいよくかける!しろく

これは - this + topic particle
じ - character 字? time? Ground?
が - subject particle?
かける - 掛ける? 欠ける?
いし - stone

This stone lacks a letter???

すごい - very
よく - well / often
かける - lacks?

しろく- white?

I’m as confused as Asagi looks!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Belthazar!

Wow!

1 Like

書ける. Because it’s white, see? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, paoon. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ah ha!

これは - this + topic particle
じ - character 字
が - subject particle
かける - 書ける
いし - stone

[you] write characters on this stone

すごい - very
よく - often
かける - 書ける

[you] very often write [here]

しろく- white!

“You write characters on this stone. You very often write [on this]. It’s white.”

Poor Yotsuba, her clues are so good! Thank you so much Belthazar!

2 Likes

It’s this meaning:

[int] oh; ho; exclamation of surprise, admiration, etc.

Correct. It’s for writing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the かける is 書ける.

Edit 2: That goes for both かける. Knowing it’s the potential for write (“can write”), this should make more sense:

「これはじがかけるいし!すごいよくかける!しろく」

Edit 3: I just noticed, I missed the last @_Marcus post above mine here. Oops.

The よく here will be “well”.

2 Likes

Thank you too @ChristopherFritz!

And thank you for the edits too! Yes, I missed that - potential form. Nice one! And the よく is well, not often. Thank you so much!

“You can write characters on this stone. You can write very well [on this]. It’s white.”

2 Likes

I’m typically in the opposite situation, where I read よく as “well” when it’s intended to be “often”.

「パオ」 (from a different comic)

i-093z

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I thought this was “You can write characters with this stone”, not “on” it.

4 Likes

I’m going into grammar mode now. (I almost did before, but stopped myself because I was editing a comment rather than starting a new one.)

「これはじがかけるいし」

Let’s add some kanji before I continue, to make it a little easier(?) to read:

「これは字が書ける石」

Here, there is a verb (“can draw”) in front of a noun (“rock”). When this happens, the clause (don’t know the correct term here) before the noun is a modifier for the noun. In English terms, 字が書ける is like an adjective.

This 石 has the attribute of 字が書ける. This is a stone which you can write letters with.

Edit: Normally I wouldn’t use Google Translate, but here’s a good example of how “stone” looks modified by various “adjectives”:

stones

4 Likes

Wow, you are both amazing. Thank you so much!
(I thought she was hinting that the stone looked like paper, just as Asagi guessed it looked like a tiger and the previous one looked like an elephant, but she is saying something quite different, and, looking back, it’s not like she invited Asagi / us to take any guesses! lol!)
Thank you both!

My final question for this chapter…

Page 18

The kids are looking at the photos, Asagi says これなに?and Ena replies それはみー. I was just wondering about that みー. Come to think of it, it might not even be a み at all. ね perhaps?

3 Likes

Rather than み, 「それはねーー」

Which reminds me, I wanted to look that one up in the English version, out of curiosity, and forgot. The official English release goes with, “Oh, that was when…”

Congrats on completing another chapter, @_Marcus =D

Edit: Just noticed that part where you wrote ね as a possibility. (I missed that when I went to check the English version just a moment ago.) I read 「それはねーー 」 sort of as “About that, you know …” (leading into her explanation).

2 Likes

I’m sure all of us have at least once brought home a stone because it’s easy to write with it on the footpath. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you again so much!

2 Likes

Page 27

Panel 1:
でももうふーかでいいじょうがない
でも - but
もう -
ふーかで - Fuuka + で
いい - good
じょう -
が - subject particle
ない - isn’t
I’m at a total loss here. (Though it’s clearly not very complimentary!)

Panel 3:
handwritten text: なにそのてkanji
Can someone tell me what the kanji is please?

And, erm, I know I’ve missed a few volumes, but that Fuuka, she looks, well, how can I put this? Erm, different? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

しょうがないじゃなくて、しょうがないです。

She’s in uniform. Not in those daft t-shirts she has.

3 Likes