よつばと! Vol 13 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Page 149

Thank you so much Kazzeon! And a quick question, if I may, for you or Belthazar, or anyone who happens to be around:

そんなにしなくていいんじゃ…

そんなに - so much
しなくて - negative て-form of する
いい - fine
ん - explanation particle
じゃ… - a shortened じゃない…?

DeepL tells me that this means “you don’t have to do that much”, but I can see there is some grammar going on here. I looked it up and it seems to be なくてもいい = don’t have to (N5 grammar. How did I ever manage to pass that??!!), but what I don’t understand is why dad throws another negative at the end (I guess it’s going to be a じゃない, isn’t it?). Any help much appreciated!

1 Like

Yes, indeed.

There is no negative at the end… Like when I say “that’s a dog, isn’t it?” then it still means “that’s a dog” without any negatives. Same with じゃない - you can simply ignore it because it just acts as a softener and doesn’t have any inherent meaning, so to speak :grinning:

3 Likes

I see! That is brilliant! Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Page 152

Yanda says:じゃ俺こんど遊びに行くよ

じゃ - well then
俺 - おれ, I
こんど - this time / next time (depends on context I guess)
遊びに行く - to go on a trip; to go out to play; to go and visit (a friend)
よ - exclamation particle

Grandma says:
ああ おいでおいで
お土産はとらやの羊羹でええよ

ああ - ah
おいでおいで - coming, going
お土産 - souvenir
は - topic particle
とらや - Toraya
の - possessive particle
羊羹 - yokan, dessert
で - with
ええ - いい, good
よ - exclamation

My best guess:
Yanda: well, next time, I’ll come visit you grandma
Grandma: yes, come, come, and it would be nice if you could bring some Toraya Yokan with you!

Does Yanda work for Toraya?
I have no idea!

3 Likes

She’s just asking him for food. :laughing:

Also, I’d say it’s nice/custom to not show up empty handed at someone’s place.

Grandma is just a bit forward about it.

3 Likes

O yes, thank you, I know that, over a decade of trips to my in-laws here in Japan leave me in no doubt about it. What I was wondering about was if Yanda works for Toraya. It is possible I suppose. Did I miss it earlier in the volumes?

I don’t think we know who anyone works for. Except Jumbo.

1 Like

I think he’s a regular salaryman. He eats konbini food at yotsuba’s.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was trying to answer that question with my message. :stuck_out_tongue:

(He doesn’t work there), she’s just asking him for food.

1 Like

Thank you Kazzeon!

And… on to the next questions! Sorry, I still have so many!

Page 154

かどをきらんとあわせるのがたいせつ

かど - corners
を - object particle
きらん - no idea, something to do with cutting?
と - if / when / and / no idea!
あわせる - 合わせる, to join together
の - nominaliser, ie turning “to join together” into a noun… joining together
が - another pesky grammar particle
たいせつ - important

“it’s important to cut and join together the corners” - is that right?

ここはおりがみをおるかいしゃにする

ここ - here
は - topic particle
おりがみ - origami
を - object particle
おる - to fold
かいしゃ - company
に - direction particle
する - to do

I’m just a bit confused by the する at the end. I guess she’s saying “this place (home) is an origami folding company” or “we’ll turn into an origami folding company” or “let’s be an origami folding company” or something along those lines. How can I translate that する do you think?

1 Like

I have not found a definite answer on this, but please have some speculations:

Given the fact that there is a と after the word leads me to think that キラン is an adverb taking the particle と (which is often the case for onomatopoeic words). As such, it is describing the way the 合わせる is supposed to take place. From your second question I can derive that the context is origami :wink: Therefore I suspect this means something like “properly” or “accurately” or “neatly”.

Which tells you what the subject of the sentence is. “The proper folding”

Literally: “The proper joining of the corners is important”
Naturally: It’s important to neatly fold the paper by making the corners match properly"

This is actually にする, which is (of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) a grammar point:

3 Likes

Wow! All that without even having the book in your hand! I’m bowled over. Thank you so much!

Grrrrr, pesky grammar! (Alongside pesky vocab and pesky kanji and pesky everything else!)

Thank you so much Nicole! :bowing_man:

2 Likes

I owe you a huge apology @NicoleRauch !

I was busy making notes from your answer, when I noticed I had posted a typo! It’s not きらんと, it’s きちんと! Which is right there in jisho: きちんと!

Oh my goodness, how amazing you are to have got the word based solely on its location and grammar, even when an idiot, that’s me, spells it out wrong.

My apologies again, and my utter admiration.

2 Likes

No worries :joy_cat:

I must say I’m pretty impressed that I guessed the word by seeing right through your typo :crazy_face:

Ah well, context helped of course. Like “What would be important when talking about matching corners in origami?” And the rest is history, as they say :wink:

1 Like

Still, completely amazing!

And I’ll be much more careful from now on. That’s two typos I’ve made in the last week. Sorry everyone.

1 Like

I just thought it was 切らないと. :clown_face:

1 Like

Page 157

Ena and Yotsuba’s gran are chatting about gran’s Kansai dialect, when gran asks:

抜けてへんかな?

and Ena replies:

抜けてへんです

I’ve tried and tried, but I’ve no idea what’s going on! Can anyone help? And, I promise, no typos tonight!

3 Likes

The topic here is Grandma’s natural Kansai dialect, although she normally speaks standardized Japanese.

Grandma adds the line in question, which in standard Japanese would be, 「()けてないかな?」

If I understand correctly, one use of 抜ける is for losing a habit. (Definition 4.) In this context, the habit is speaking Kansai dialect.

As a negative (ない), it becomes not losing a habit, so she’s wondering (かな) whether she hasn’t lost the habit (()けない) of speaking Kansai dialect.

And, purposefully or not, she uses へん (Kansai dialect) rather than ない (standard dialect), which Ena repeats when informing her she hasn’t lost it.

At least, that’s my understanding. I’m always open to corrections!

5 Likes

You are brilliant Christopher Fritz! Simply brilliant!

Thank you! :bowing_man:

Page 158

Yotsuba is helpfully listing all the things she’d recently learnt…

いがいがのなかにくりがあるとか

いがいが - this one had me stumped. The first definition on Jisho says “bur (of a chestnut, etc.)” which I guess is the spiky outside shell to the conkers inside. Not a word I knew in English until tonight! I thought this can’t be right, but then I remembered the camp she went to in volume 12 (I’ve not yet read volume 12, but I’ve looked at the pictures!).

のなか - I juggle between the cheat tools till I find something that might fit, and wheras Jisho was stumped by this one, ichi.moe gave me “in the middle of a field”. But then I thought, hang on, doesn’t のなか just mean “in the middle”, don’t I already know this?

に - direction particle

くり - 栗, Japanese Chestnut.

が - identifier particle

ある - there is

とか - etc

“There is a chestnut inside a chestnut bur” is the best I can come up with, which is a lot better than I had before I started typing this post!

3 Likes