ゆるキャン△ | (Bonus!) Week 8 Discussion 🏕

I can highly recommend watching the anime. As enjoyable as the manga has been, the show actually manages to be an incredibly well done adaptation with the addition of colors and an excellent soundtrack that gives each campsite its own distinct personality and mood. The VAs are also wonderful and breathe a lot of life into the roles.

As far as adaptations go, I’d argue that ゆるキャン is one of the better ones out there and offers a unique experience from the manga.

10 Likes

Spotted at the shopping mall this morning… a large display of カイロ outside the local Daiso. I didn’t even know hand warmers were a thing until I read this manga. Now I see them everywhere :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

… how did you survive winter until now??
They are also very nice on tight muscles.

I never tried to buy おカイロ from Daiso but I feel like those would be very weak though. I usually buy military grade very warm ones from the drugstore.

4 Likes

Heh. I live in Sydney. It’s a lovely 20 degrees here today and rather pleasant.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t realize you were not in Japan :sweat_smile: I thought Daiso was a Japanese thing.

3 Likes

There’s quite a few Daiso Japan stores in the US. They’ve becoming kind of ubiquitous where I live: at big city Japantown, my local shopping center, my university…

4 Likes

Ah, right. Daiso have 37 stores in Australia according to their homepage, but the local stores only carry 15,000 lines, so the range of … quality merchandise isn’t as extensive as the stores in Japan. I usually only shop in the snacks section :grimacing:

4 Likes

15,000 is still pretty extensive. I visit the one on George St on occasion. It’s dangerous going in there, because I may wind up stuck there for hours.

It’s really good for Secret Santa gifts, or any sort of gift exchange with a price limit, because for ten dollars, you can get four items that look like they’re worth ten dollars each. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, this is making me super happy! Really glad to see that so many people enjoyed it and found they were able to power through something a bit harder with help.

I always forget that that layout gets read kind of the opposite way until I realise it’s not making any sense… What kind of discussion were you looking for? :wink:

Based on my memory of how fast you zoomed through Non Non Biyori I somehow doubt you’ll have any difficulty with that :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s awesome, haha! You might just have inspired me to try something similar…

Gonna second everybody else who said you should definitely give it a go at least. It’s a bit harder to say having gone from anime → manga myself, but I feel like they did a fantastic job of recreating the moods of the manga, and it’s still one of my favourite series.

Quick question from page 172 - Rin mentions 本栖みち, which is presumably the もとす of Lake Motosu plus ‘road’ - I just wondered if this is a particular “Motosu Road” that specially leads to the lake, or whether it’s just the random road she took to get there…?

Also, inspired by the final panel of the おまけ, I have to finally comment on the fact that Rin’s hair is pretty impressive!

5 Likes

Heh. Turns out there is a real-world location I can reference. It’s another name for highway 300 (which, if you recall last week, is where Rin’s house is. It’s signposted with signs like this:

Yen Press (oh boy, here we go, says everyone) has just rendered the line as “Coming up Route 300 was much easier this time”, and it’s like… why not just say “the Motosu Road”?

I’ve previously mentioned in the home thread that I specifically bought this particular chair because I couldn’t find a place I could buy the one that Rin uses. :slightly_smiling_face: (Though mine’s got a blue frame and a black seat.)

13 Likes

Glad to have helped, hehe :grin:

2 Likes

I’m actually thinking about joining a few clubs. I haven’t been reading as much as I want to, so might be nice with some incentive

7 Likes

I’m new on the forums and haven’t read much of Yen Press’ stuff. What are their localization snafus? Just from the discussion here, writing “Motosu Road” as “Route 300” seems odd…

Heck yeah outside reading. My Saturdays for the past few weeks have been me just out on my porch reading in the rain with music playing. Almost as comfy as watching the show :y

Daiso is fairly popular wherever there’s a decently-sized Japanese population. There’s one up here in Seattle and another one down in San Fran, both of which have given me plenty of high quality cheapo kitchenware haha

5 Likes

I tried a bunch out and the Helinox was definitely the best. Dem peas doe $$
Tempted to get one anyway. I can use it indoors and pretend…stupid hayfever

2 Likes

Well, I couldn’t comment in general. That said, I generally check the English version of a manga we’ve read after I finish reading the Japanese version, and it’s really only been in this volume that some of the translation choices really jump out at me. Generally it’s bad misunderstandings of what the line says rather than over-zealous localisation.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with saying “Route 300”, considering they’re the same road, it just… doesn’t seem particularly more understandable to American readers than “Motosu Road”. It’s not like US highways don’t also have names.

Quite. That said, I needed some kind of backrest that I could pack into a suitcase and fly overseas with, so I figured it was worth it.

3 Likes

Major interstate highways often don’t have names. Smaller local numbered roads (not highways) generally have names.

1 Like

Route 300 is definitely a smaller local numbered road. See photo above, and the map linked in the same post. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know. Just making a general correction about US “highways”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Page 167

I really struggle with lack of context (like when the subject is implicit). So how does this look?

Nadeshiko (about the chair): “There was such a thing huh?” (~ I didn’t know we had this kind of thing)
Sister: “At the time we moved we transported it, right?!”

So Nadeshiko didn’t know they had it, but then her sister points out that they moved it in their relocation (so surely she must’ve seen it then?). So basically Nadeshiko is being her ditzy self?

Also omg, 13,000 yen for a chair? I had to double check the conversion rate lol

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong, sure, and US highways often get referred to by numbers and such, but it just seems like an odd choice when Rin literally says “Motosu Road” and the localization writes something else.

1 Like