やがて君になる -- Bloom into you Vol. 1 (Book club)

we’re only starting volume 2 in may, so you’ve got plenty of time to catch up ^^

i really liked chapter 5. Koito shows us how good she is at reading a situation when she realises that Nanami really is much more nervous than she lets on, and that she is quite capable of taking the initiative. and for Nanami, we get to see behind her facade a bit, to where she’s vulnerable and needs support. we see a bit deeper into both characters, and in particular for Nanami, where she might need to grow ^^

5 Likes

Started on chapter 5 and have some vocab questions:

The bits highlighted in yellow. I could not find either in the dictionary. I do get the gist of what is being said in both places, but would be nice to know what does words mean too.

Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary and Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary :slight_smile:

3 Likes

散々
this one actually took a bit for me to find because the dakuten was so small lol

Probably the third definition, given she’s using it as a verb. Hence the した

ラッキー
Lucky!

1 Like

Ah, I know what the problem was! I kept putting in さんさん, instead of さんざん. :woman_facepalming:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Ooooh… this manga looks so good! I’m going to try to race through and hopefully (fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:) can catch up by the time you folks start vol 2!

6 Likes

I’m looking at ordering Vol 2 from Amazon, as neither of the Kinokuniya’s near me have it in stock sadly. Wondering if y’all will want to read other yuri manga later tho, as I’ve already read this series :thinking:

Everyone who hasn’t read it tho should. It’s great. I’m just not sure I want to buy the entire series again lol

2 Likes

Do you have any specific series in mind?

Besides Yagate Kimi ni Naru (which I loved), I’ve read Luminous = Blue, Strawberry Fields wo Mou Ichido, and Tsurezure Biyori, all of which were fine but nothing special. I tried and dropped Akarui Kioku Soushitsu and Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu because they just weren’t that interesting.

I’m currently reading Otona ni Nattemo by Shimura Takako (as I really liked Hourou Musuko by her) and would be interested in reading Aoi Hana by her as well. Aoi Hana would probably be a higher bar than Yagate Kimi ni Naru in terms of difficulty though, as I don’t think it uses much furigana.

2 Likes

I’ve actually read Yuri is My Job (私の百合) in english and thought I was great, but it’s much more comedy than say, やが君 is.

I’m currently looking into さよならローズガーデン but I haven’t read any of it yet, so no idea if it’s actually any good. Other than that I’m open to suggestions. I’ve read Citrus in it’s entirety, and tried the spin off, but that didn’t seem to catch my attention really.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about reading 欠けた月とドーナッツ after やが君, but I think it’s more difficult mainly because not everything has furigana. But that could be an option.

2 Likes

i’m reading あさがおと加瀬さん on the side, as i couldn’t wait until we start volume 2 of やがて君になる :smiley: (i mentioned it in the thread for volume 2)

it’s a lot lighter than やが君 in mood, and i find it much easier to read. though that is probably also due to it being a month since we started やが君, and having about three levels more kanji/vocab :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about that one, I’d like to read it! Plus kanji is the strong suit of all us wanikanites, right? :wink:

Edited to add: this week has been super bananas for me so I haven’t done the reading yet… I can definitely still finish but I probably won’t have a lot to say!

2 Likes

Will be finishing the book tonight!

On a side note, I sometimes really love 沙弥香!

3 Likes

I liked her sass in the first response, but then just knowing the pressure you put on someone by saying innocent stuff like that really made me unhappy with her haha

I just finished the last chapter. Had a bit of slip up last week so had to catch up but I’m all ready for volume 2 now :slight_smile: And in the meantime I will be playing Pokemon :joy:

2 Likes

I would never say something like that to someone I don’t know well, but I have teased some close friends similarly before. But I can be a bit :smiling_imp: sometimes. As I said, only with close friends and with ones that I know they would take it as it was meant, in a jokey way. They also give as good as they get, and they know what to expect from me. :rofl:

2 Likes

i had a chuckle at that scene too :wink:

but yeah, they have a long history together, which allows that kind of teasing interaction. otherwise it could get tricky ^^

good choice :smiley: i’m in the second volume of Kase-san, and expect to be in the third before we restart やが君 :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah of course it’s different with friends, the “I came here to laugh at you” line is definitely something I would say myself too :joy:

(I said so much and then I had to blur it all out :joy: It’s chapter 5 and some thoughts based on the whole anime.)

It is a bit tricky though because you never know what people are thinking, even when you think you’re close. (And because Nanami isolates herself so much, Saeki doesn’t even know she doesn’t know her so well?) The vibe of ‘feel free to mess up, she’s going to fix it anyway’ can actually put so much pressure on people even subconsciously which is showed later with that whole ‘real me’ talk (THE FEELS UGH :sneezing_face:).

Interestingly, when watching anime, I felt like that ‘even when you mess up’ line was a cheeky dig directed at Yuu. I basically took it as she was assuming Yuu was going to mess up. Now, having seen the whole series and learning more about the characters (and starting to like Saeki :D), I didn’t even think of that and was more concerned about how it affected Nanami.

It’s kinda like @IntrepidFox you said you were getting slightly different vibes between anime and manga. Now I get it too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I think in the anime Sayaka seemed a bit less, direct? Or something. But now that I finished the last chapter I’m warming to her again. :sweat_smile:

I mean, this panel is again gold.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to read on after the club is finished and is ok with buying the manga digitally on bookwalker. You can now get the series heavily reduced (50%) until the end of april

2 Likes

thanks! ^^

the kindle version on amazon is also half-priced right now, and i got the remaining 6 volumes (already had 1 and 2) ^^