やがて君になる -- Bloom into you Vol. 1 (Book club)

I bought all volumes back in December but somehow haven’t got into it yet. This will be the perfect opportunity to read it and to get into the book club in general :slight_smile: Also, it’s my first time posting on the forum, looking forward to interacting with everyone!

7 Likes

Yeah, I already deleted a bunch of them and doing more as I come across them.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the book club and the forum! :smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, welcome to the first day of the club! How is everyone preparing to start on the book?

2 Likes

I haven’t thought of it yet but I’m probably just going to read at nights at a very relaxed pace while adding whatever is left to Koohi. I don’t want to commit to a fixed number of pages a day because I have to catch up with another book.

I’ll most likely start tonight.

1 Like

I just noticed that my eyesight, even though not that bad, is not quite enough to clearly see that nastily microscopic furigana at the side…
I just checked a few starting pages so far and likely will start tomorrow, along with checking Koohi.

I currently don’t have tons of time, so I probably won’t be composing any vocab lists on my own, maybe during weekends is an option.

On the bright side, I found a physical copy in my native language I thought I lost, so I can always use that as a reference if everything else fails :wink:

1 Like

Ah yes, when I first started reading manga I tried using a magnifying glass a few times. :slight_smile:
Thankfully it does get better as you learn more kanji and get used to reading.

1 Like

えっと。。。 yeah, i’ve found myself squinting at my screen, zooming in closer, still not being able to make it out… :sweat_smile:

as i suspected i’m reaching rather high with trying to read this. plenty of kanji i don’t know, grammar is just about okay (though also tricky). made it through page 6, but it took me an hour.

i stumbled badly over ゆう. jisho tells me that ゆう is one of the many names which can be written with that kanji, is that right? therefore our protagonist’s name is 小糸侑?

how are you all getting along?

1 Like

Yep, that’s her name!

3 Likes

A name I actually like a lot!

3 Likes

Right??? There are also some kanji that I noticed flicking through, where I’m not hundred percent sure where the lines are exactly. I also keep not seeing the differences between き and ぎ sometimes with the miniscule furigana. :laughing:

1 Like

Yep! That is her name indeed. I really like it, it’s kinda cute and seem to suit her.

I liked how she kind of got tricked into the student council. Reminds me when I was tricked into joining the debating club.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought the furigana was minuscule :joy: . I really like the size of the physical format, it’s only a tad bigger but I feel it allows a better distribution of the panels.

2 Likes

Wooo looking forward to starting the book tonight! ^^

I was wondering about that google doc you - @IntrepidFox - talked about in the original thread? Will that still be a thing? If it is, I could help, because I’ll be adding vocab to Anki as I read it anyway. Lemme know!

For volume 1 there is a koohi word list and I also put together a kitsun one, so no google doc for now. I think we will definitely need to have one for volume 2 and onwards, though.

Let us know how you get on tonight!

2 Likes

Sounds good!

And I think I’m doing okay so far. Short on time tonight, so I only got to page 30, but I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much I knew! I think I’m still struggling a bit with the nuances, but I understand that will come in time. There were some sentences which had no vocab or grammar I didn’t understand, but I still just couldn’t really figure out what it was saying

Anyhow, this is only my first time looking at it, so I’m not worried. I’m planning to read it once with just some look-ups, ones which I feel I need to know to understand what’s happening/being said, or ones which I’m purely interested in.

After I’ve read the first chapter like that, I’m going to go over it again more thoroughly, putting vocab and stuff into Anki, and making sure I properly understand those sentences I mentioned before. If I still have time before we move onto the next chapter, I may even read it once more without looking things up (hopefully) after that, just to see if it’s easier.

I am enjoying it so far though! I especially like the art style - it’s very cute and expressive, I find

On another note though: I do understand what other people are saying about the furigana haha. I did find myself squinting at the book a couple of times

8 Likes

Could someone help me out with a vocab item? On p. 6, what is the bit I highlighted? I have been trying to figure it out for a day now and simply don’t get it.

5 Likes

Pretty sure it’s the adjective かたい in そう form. So something like “stiff seeming”, maybe like uptight? I’m not quite sure of the exact nuance and don’t have time to look more at the moment, but hopefully that helps.

11 Likes

Just had a quick look at that - I think it’s sort of like she’s saying ‘Huh, just like that?’

えー - Ehh?/Huh?
なんか - Sort of a filler word, I’ve heard, similar to how we use the word ‘like’ (as in, for example, ‘I heard she was going to like, Canada or something.’
カタ - think that’s supposed to be 方(かた) which means ‘カタそう’ would possibly be ‘that way’ or ‘like that’

The context is that our main character is being offered to join the student council club because she hadn’t chosen another yet. The friend is surprised by how easy it is, and says something along the lines of what I said at the top - ‘Huh, just like that?’

Let me know what you think though! I could be incorrect somewhere, so please do tell me if you see it another way

Edit: @seanblue also makes quite a good point! The friend could be thinking that the student council is kind of a stiff-seeming, formal club to join

3 Likes

That’s how I interpreted it. 硬い as is “stiff”, and thus 硬そう as is “seems stiff” or “seems rigid”. Basically just saying that the student council would be a bit more formal and rigid than the other clubs she was suggesting.

4 Likes