ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 4 🧹

Page 7: I completely missed the け and just read it as 乗ってこうか = 乗って行こうか. Pretty sure it means the same though.

4 Likes

According to Jisho, it’s a female name.

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming: I didn’t even think to look up a name in the dictionary! (Old habit, names weren’t in any dictionary I ever had)

Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To add to what @NicoleIsEnough mentioned, at the end of volume 2, page 141. there’s a scene where they discuss Chito’s age, and Chinatsu is surprised by how old Chito is, so she says:

Which confirms that she’s actually female. Can’t remember if in any previous volumes her gender was stated more explicitly…

8 Likes

Totally forgot about that scene :sweat_smile: Thank you for the reminder!

2 Likes

Chapter 20: 魔女の爪はアーモンド

2020-05-22T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

6 Likes

Loved the Chito-san with sakura petal eyebrows =^^=

5 Likes

Quite a lot of (cooking) vocab that I had to look up, but otherwise was a good read. :slight_smile:

I honestly didn’t expect the finger biscuit to look like a real finger, haha. What did she use for the finger nails, though?

4 Likes

The chapter title gives a (not-so-subtle) hint :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Oh, I realized I skipped the title, thanks for pointing it out. :laughing:

2 Likes

The title did not make any sense to me until I reached the end of the chapter, so I can relate!

2 Likes
Also mentioned here =)

i_0049 almond

3 Likes

I had never heard of あみだくじ before, so it was really interesting to learn about it.

As a bonus, if you’ve ever wondered what Koichi looked like 10 years ago, wonder no more: Amidakuji - Making Your Decisions Random, Japanese Style

4 Likes
ch19, p8

自分で作った方が…
Is 方 here used as jisho 5. “indicates one side of a comparison,” or as “person”? It should be read as かた for “person,” not ほう, right? What’s the other side of the comparison then? “It’s cheaper this way than not”?

ch19, p12

さ means は in some dialect, was it…?

ch19, p8:
In my version there is even furigana that says ほう, so not sure what your question is here?

And no, it does not mean person; 自分で作った人 would be my child, I guess (a person that I have made myself)

ほうが is not necessarily a comparison in the classical sense, it can also mean “better” without directly being compared to something. In this case, the “better” thing is what comes after it: 色々な工夫できる

ch19, p12:
sorry, don’t know about that one, but from the sentence I’d expect it to be が.

1 Like

I think the さ is just an interjection

1 Like

Hmm, I didn’t know you could do that – that’s what confused me.

1 Like
ch19, p21

後でお楽しみです
What’s the の doing here?

「自分で作った方が色々工夫できる」

I know this one’s already been answered, but I have a different interpretation that I wanted to put out there.

The noun 方 can refer to one of two options. Since 方 is modified by the clause 「自分で作った」 (“made by oneself”), the other option is “not made by oneself”, in this case store-bought.

The subject of the sentence (which is marked by the が particle), is 「自分で作った方」, or “the self-made option (as opposed to store-bought option)”.

This sentence ends in a form of the verb する (できる), meaning that the sentence tells an action the subject is doing. The action is 「工夫できる」, “able to devise (your own design)”. And of course this verb is modified by 色々, “various”.

Adding in a few words based on context: “The self-made option allows you to devise various designs. (Whereas the store-bought option, you aren’t able to devise various designs.)”

I might translate it as, “When you make it yourself, you can be more creative.”

This won’t specifically answer your question, but it’ll show you instances where the particles で + の get used:

2 Likes

Soo, “Look forward to later”?