ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 8 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

Correct, as seen mentioned in this Tofugu article (emphasis mine):

You’ll usually see たり occur twice in a sentence, as in 〜たり〜たりする, but it can be used alone, in lists of three, four, ten, or however many you want (depending on what the situation calls for).

Correct.

At its base, this is する + て + いる + たら.

You may recall seeing て+いる.

In casual conversation, this can also be spoken as てる, dropping the い.

More formal:
している + たら = していたら

More casual:
してる + たら = してたら

This comes up often enough that you get used to it over time.

6 Likes

Nice that you added the last 3 examples too, after only seeing the first 3 I thought I was seeing a pattern that they were all very angry :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much. Very helpful, as always!

It never ceases to amaze me how, on the one hand Japanese sometimes needs soo much grammar to get a point across, and on the other hand, how much they can omit from a sentence and get away with it. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, a tough week for me. Took much longer to work through. I’m definitely punching above my weight, but I enjoy the challenge, and it’s more rewarding to work through a book made for native speakers than a graded reader!

3 Likes

finished this week’s pages with one day to spare hehe oops

always appreciative of y’all explaining the grammar in here and especially adding examples of the grammar in other manga !

4 Likes

I’m late again. I’ve been going through some stuff so I just haven’t felt like studying a while. Haven’t even started Week 9 yet. :grimacing: I did manage to get Week 8 done tho. Kitsune feels like a very spiteful character. I like her.

Pages 75-77

オオカミ:今日も暑いけどパトロール頑張らなきゃね。
Wolf: It’s hot today as well, but I’ve got to do my best.

オオカミ:さっきからずっときつねさんがこっち見てるよね…!?
Wolf: Kitsune has been looking this way for quite a while now…!?

キツネ:なんて話しかけよう…
Fox: How do I begin to speak to her…

キツネ:あれからオオカミちゃんのところに出かけてばかり…
Fox: Since then, she’s only gone out to Okami’s place…

キツネ:ドライアド様の身に何かあったらどうするのよ。
Fox: If something happens to Dryad, what will I do!?

キツネ:それに私といるより楽しそうだし…
Fox: Besides, it seems more fun than being with me…

キツネ:とにかくこのままじゃダメよ。
Fox: At any rate, it’s not good the way things are.

キツネ:一度ガツンと言わせてもらうわ!
Fox: I’m going to give you a good talking to!

オオカミ:怒られるのかな…
Wolf: I wonder if she’ll get angry…

キツネ:今日は暇だから…パトロールを手伝ってあげてもいいわよ!
Fox: I’m free today. However…can I give you some help with patrol!?

Pages 78-80

キツネ:叱ろうと思ったのに何でこんなこと…
Fox: Even though I thought I was going to scold her, why did I do this…

オオカミ:きつねさんがいてくれたら心強いよ!
Wolf: It’s reassuring when Kitsune is here!

キツネ:結局ついていくことになってしまったわ。
Fox: In the end, I decided to accompany Okami.

キツネ:でも考えてみたらいいチャンスね。
Fox: But, it’s a good chance for me to try and think.

キツネ:ドライアド様と遊ぶのにふさわしいか試してあげるわ。
Fox: I’ll test you to see if you’re suitable enough to play with Dryad.

オオカミ:具合悪い?
Wolf: Are you unwell?

キツネ:この近くに美味しい果物があるの!
Fox: There is some delicious fruit around here!

Pages 81-83

キツネ:しびれるくらいすっぱい実のはずなのに…
Fox: Even though it should be sour enough to make her go numb…

オオカミ:今度は私がとってあげるね。
Wolf: I’ll give it to you this time.

Pages 84-85

キツネ:私はおなかいっぱいだから!
Fox: I’m all full up!

キツネ:あの実が平気なんて。
Fox: That fruit is fine.

キツネ:この子ただ者ではないわね!
Fox: This wolf is no ordinary animal!

キツネ:でもまだまだこれからよ…!
Fox: But, it’s not over yet…!

オオカミ:ここ…じめじめしてるね。
Wolf: Here…it’s gloomy, isn’t it?

オオカミ:このあたりで物音が聞こえたの?
Wolf: Did you hear a sound around here?

オオカミ:木が倒れたりしてたら大変だもんね。
Wolf: If it’s something like a tree that fell over, that would be serious.

オオカミ:よく見て回ろう。
Wolf: Let’s look around properly.

Pages 86-87

キツネ:このあたりよく滑るのよ…
Fox: This area is often slippery…

オオカミ:うまく着地で来ちゃった…
Wolf: Came over with an expert landing…

キツネ:意外とやるわね…
Fox: I didn’t expect her to do that…

1 Like
p75-77

から is “because”, or here more like “since”, not “however”. And the latter part isn’t really a question, rather she’s saying “I can help with your patrol”

p84-85

平気 is “to be fine for someone”, but “fine” is kinda awkward in this situation. What this is trying to say is “Being ok after that fruit…”

This is more likely to be the “damp” or “wet” meaning, that’s why the ground is slippery.

1 Like

how i feel after getting through another week’s pages:

I think all my questions for this week were answered in the thread already! It’s crazy how motivating reading native materials is for grammar study. Makes me want to work so much harder so I can someday easily understand manga.

4 Likes

That’s one reason I’m always recommending new learners join the WaniKani Absolute Beginner Book Club (after they reach a certain point).

As you read more, it might feel like all you’re doing is looking up more grammar and vocabulary.

It may seem that “easily understand” will never come.

But if you keep at it, keep reading, keep learning grammar, and keep learning common vocabulary, it certainly will become easier.

Then you’ll try reading a slightly more difficult manga and feel like you don’t even know any Japanese anymore…

4 Likes

No, you’re totally right! this has been such a game changer for me in terms of inspiring my Japanese study. It’s incredibly difficult to just use the textbook by itself, especially when you’re self studying and don’t have the structure of a class to motivate you. Those first 6 chapters of Genki took many months to get through. :sweat_smile: I’m finding the initial hill of getting from absolute absolute beginner to where I am now has been the most difficult part to overcome so far. Now that I have a foundation in the language I’m capable of seeing what I know, where I can improve, and feel less like the language is an insurmountable obstacle.

Very true. I’ll always be able to challenge myself with more and more difficult manga and novels, once I get to novels. I’m sure by the time I’m there I’ll look back at my time here finding so much difficulty in 小さな森 with nostalgia.

4 Likes