ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 13 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

Week 13 August 05 2023
Pages 130–141
Chapter 6
Last week Week 12
Next week Week 14
Home Thread ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん ・ The Wolf of the Small Forest

(This week finishes chapter 6.)

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

Vocabulary Sheet

The base for this vocab sheet was prepared using a fair amount of OCR/parsing.

Some notes for using/improving it:

• Some words might have been recognized or parsed incorrectly, e.g. they are split even though they belong together, or they are simply wrong and aren’t even in the manga. Feel free to correct/remove those if you see them!
  • Words might be missing. Feel free to add them!
  • By default, translations in grey are auto-filled with a list of possible meanings (from a Wiktionary database). If you know the specific meaning in this context, feel free to fill it in! (It’ll turn black then.)

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Not all pages have page numbers on them, so you may need to find a page with numbers to determine which page you’re on.

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
0 voters

For our new readers: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

5 Likes

Very cute ending to the chapter. :slight_smile: On the one hand, it’s sad that this book club soon comes to an end. On the other hand. I’m also looking forward to the additional challenge from the next book club!

I might have some more questions after my second read, but here’s one that stood out to me:

p.138

きつね:へってないよ

I wasn’t sure what to make of this sentence. I’m pretty sure it says へって and not へつて. Both my IME and jisho led me to believe this was a conjunction of 減る (へる); to decrease, diminish, abate. Which could suggest something like “Don’t slow down [in the race] [for me]!”

An alternative would be that this is a call back to the previous page, where Kitsune asks a question and Ookami reacts with へっ. In this case, the “って” in へってないよ could be a quotation marker. Translation => Don’t say “hè”!
But I think in this case, there would be quotes around the へ particle? 「へ」ってないよ

Any thoughts?

4 Likes
p. 138

It’s a quotation marker. It doesn’t make sense as a conjugation of 減る, it wouldn’t be used in that sense, 減る is about things getting smaller/fewer in number, wearing down, that sort of thing.

へ isn’t a particle, it’s just an expression of confusion - Kitsune-san is asking why Ookami-chan always comes to help her, and Ookami-chan’s reaction is just a sort of “huh?” as if that’s a weird question to ask (which she later expresses explicitly as 変なきつねちゃん!だって森のみんなもきつねちゃんも友達だもん)

Kitsune-san is reacting to that へっ with something like “don’t just say ‘huh’”, it’s not quite an imperative (that’d be more like へっていうな) and I’m not 100% sure what’s going on grammatically but in context that’s the only thing that makes sense, as far as I can tell. I guess you could twist it into some sort of statement like " ‘huh’ is not the answer to that question"

3 Likes
Page 138

You have a typo/miskey here, which explains why @yamitenshi couldn’t quite figure the grammar.

「へってなによ」

In this case, it’s along the lines of “What’s へっ?!” or “What (do you mean by) へっ?!”

3 Likes

D’oh

Worst part is, I even pulled up the actual page for context and then proceeded to read it wrong :joy:

3 Likes

Ack! I should really learn to read more carefully. Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for the help, both of you. :pray:

3 Likes

A very funny end to the chapter, I am quite sad that next week is the end for this book club because I have really enjoyed it - and found it quite comfortable in terms of difficulty. Excited to get started on a new manga soon though!

New Words / Kanji:

遂に - Finally / At last
繋げる - To connect / To tie
尽くす - To devote onseself (to)
追い抜く - To overtake
がっかり - To be disappointed
遠慮 - Restraint / Declining

3 Likes

No worries about the mix-up, @Till. Many of us have done exactly the same! It’s a constant reminder to be extra vigilant, even when just transcribing on our own.

For the curious, here are more examples of ってなに/って何 in use.

Teenager: “I’m off!”

Child: “Where are you going?”

Teenager: “To school.” 「学校(がっこう)だよ」

Child: “What’s school?!” 「がっこうってなに!?」

Woman (prior panel): *mentions トロルマネジャ*

Child: “Troll manager? What’s that?” 「トロルマネジャ? ってなに?」

Sacchan’s mother tasks her with selling strawberries from their fresh produce shop.

Sacchan and her friends encounter a depressed man sitting on a park bench. Sacchan tries to get him to eat a strawberry.

Yui: “If you don’t eat, our special service (特典(とくてん)) can’t start!”

Man: “What’s this ‘special service’?!” 「特典(とくてん)ってなに!?」

(Once he’s eaten a strawberry, the special service is the girls throwing confetti into the air above him. Then Sacchan charges him for the pack of strawberries since he’s already eaten one.)

A masked stranger shows up at an all-girls ninja school. The girls have never encountered a boy in real life, so when the stranger refers to themself as ボク, the girls are unfamiliar with the word.

Girl 1: “What is ボク?”「ボクって(なに)?」

Girl 2: “Is it a name?”

Girl 3: “Wait…” (Next panel:) “If I recall correctly, it seems ボク is the first person pronoun men use.”

3 Likes

Just a couple of lines to clarify:

Page 130

オオカミちゃんに繋げられるように頑張りましょう
We’ll do our best to connect with you Wolf. (or would connect be “pass” in this case?)

それぞれベストを尽くしましょ
Lets each of us do our best.

2 Likes
p.130

If it’s “pass” that would be as in “pass the baton to you” - they’re running a relay race which sometimes involves giving over an actual physical baton to the next runner, though in this case they seem to just tag the next person.

繋げる refers to connecting things together to form a chain, which can also be somewhat metaphorical like when transferring a call, or in this case tagging the next person in line to continue the race.

3 Likes
Page 130

Thanks for the answer! I was thinking the same on your baton point, but I started overthinking a bit on whether that worked even if there is no physical baton (I couldn’t see any in the panels), or would connect be a better translation.

2 Likes
p 130

It’s one of those situations where it all sort of means the same thing but the concepts don’t neatly overlap in a single English word. The key part of 繋げる is that there’s a sequence (of runners) and you’re “connecting” the parts together (by one runner finishing their run and tagging the next). “Pass” works as a translation for that but in what the Japanese expresses it’s also important to note there’s no actual handing over of anything being expressed, as far as I can tell anyway.

2 Likes
Page 130

I realised as much when you said your answer, my point was more explaining why I asked for context. I appreciate the clarification though!

2 Likes

I’m a bit later this week with the translation attempts, been busy with RL stuff, so here we go. Let’s see how much I remember from reading ahead last week.

p130

ドライアド:ついに三回戦!最後の種目はリレー!!
Dryad: Finally, the third event. The last event is relay!

オオカミ:走るのは得意だから任せて
フクロウ:オオカミちゃんに繋げられるように頑張りましょう
Okami: As for running, it’s [my] strong point so leave it [to me]
Fukurou: Let’s do our best to connect with Okami-chan

きつね:ここまで来たら勝つわよそれぞれベストを尽くしましょ
Kitune: Until then, when it comes to winning, let’s focus on our best [points]

ドライアド:位置について!よーい。。。
Dryad: And to the final place! Let’s go (assuming this is an abbreviated よし)

p131

ドライアド:スタート!!
Dryad: Start!!

p132

ドライアド:えっ
オオカミ:うさぎさんってこんなに速かったの!?
Dryad: Ohh
Okami: Usagi-san is this fast?

p133

きつね:うさぎさんありがと
Kitune: Usagi-san, thank you

オオカミ:くまさんあとは任せて
Okami: Kuma-san, leave the rest to me

p134

No text, only race

p135

きつね:追い抜かれたきっとみんながっかりして
Assuming the … is hiding an omitted ら
Kitsune: If I’m overtaken, everyone will be disappointed

きつね:まだ負けない!!
Kitsune: Don’t lose yet!

p136

No text, only falling

p137

オオカミ:きつねちゃん大丈夫?
Okami: Kitsune-chan, are you ok?

きつね:どうしていつもたすけるのよ
Kitsune: Why are you always helping?

オオカミ:へっ
Okami: Huh?

p138

きつね:へってないよ
オオカミ:変なきつねちゃん
Kitsune: Don’t say “huh”
Okami: Strange kitsune-chan

オオカミ:だって森のみんなもきつねちゃんも
Okami: That said, everybody in the forest, and kitsune-chan too

オオカミ:友達だもん
Okami: Are my friends, that’s why

p139

ドライアド:きつねちゃん、オオカミちゃん。。。同着ゴール!!
Dryad: Kitsune-chan, Okami-chan, arriving at the same moment [at the] goal

ドライアド:というわけで
ドライアド:今回の商品はこちらです
Dryad: With that said…
Dryad: the prize this time is this way

p140

ドライアド:特性ドライアド像です!
Dryad: It’s a life size dryad statue

ドライアド:今回は引き分けだから。じゃんけんで決めます
Dryad: Because this time was draw, well… to decide…

オオカミ:あっ私はいいや!
きつね:私も遠慮するわ
ドライアド:えぇーじゃあ他のみんなで
Okami: ahh, I’m good!
Kitsune: I too need to take a trip
Dryad: ehh? well then, other people

ドライアド:なんでー!?
Dryad: What the?

p141

かめ:さ〜どうするかの
Kame: hmm, what to do with this?

3 Likes
Page 130

位置について!よーい。。。
I could be wrong on this but I’m pretty sure this is more “Ready, Set Go!” e.g. “Into Positions…Go!”

Page 135

I think you split the sentences wrong here I think it’s more:

追い抜かれた
I was overtaken!

きっとみんながっかりしてまだ負けない!!
I can’t lose yet because everyone will definitely be disappointed!

Page 138

You typoed here, it’s actually:

へってなによ
As people mentioned above, it’s more "what you do mean by "へ” as per the previous page.

Page 140

じゃんけん I believe is Rock-Paper-Scissors so to complete your pretty much correct answer:

今回は引き分けだから。じゃんけんで決めます
Because it was a draw, we’ll decide by rock paper scissors.

Also I believe 遠慮する is more “to hold back” or “refrain from doing” so:

私も遠慮するわ
I’ll also refrain (from receiving the prize) e.g. I’ll also pass.

4 Likes
Page 132

Okami: Usagi-san is this fast?

The adjective 速い descrribing Usagi-san as fast is in the past tense. Rather than speaking to Usagi-san being fast now, Ookami is noticing the speed and questioning whether whether Usagi-san was this fast before (as she likely has never seen him at this speed).

I might write this more literally as:

“Was Usagi-san this fast?!”

Or to sound smoother in English:

“Was Usagi-san always this fast?”

3 Likes

Finished this week’s reading! Can’t believe we only have one more week to go!!!

3 Likes

Translations for the week. Would have posted these yesterday but I was busy and didn’t have time. Oh well, they’ve been done since Monday. Kinda wild to think that there’s only one more week left, albeit a much longer week than usual but that’s really not a problem for this series.

Pages 132-134

ドライアド様:ついに三回戦!最後の種目はリレー!!
Driad: Finally, the third game! The final event is the relay race!!

オオカミ:走るのは得意だから任せて!
Wolf: I’m good at running so leave it to me!

フクロウ:オオカミちゃんに繋げられるように頑張りましょう。
Owl: Let’s do our best to connect with Okami.

キツネ:ここまで来たら勝つわよ。それぞれベストを尽くしましょ。
Fox: We’ll win now that we’ve come this far. Let’s each do our best.

ドライアド様:位置について!よーい…
Driad: Take your positions! Ready…

Wolf: Usagi was this fast!?

Pages 135-137

キツネ:追い抜かれた…!きっとみんながっかりして…
Fox: She overtook me…! Surely everyone will be disappointed…

キツネ:…まだ。負けない!!
Fox: …Not yet. I won’t lose!!

Pages 138-140

キツネ:どうしていつも助けるのよ。
Fox: Why do you always help me?

キツネ:へってなによ!
Fox: What do you mean by ‘Eh’!?

オオカミ:変なきつねちゃん!だって森のみんなもきつねちゃんも友達だもん。
Wolf: Strange Kitsune! Because everyone in the forest, as well as you, are my friends.

Pages 141-142

ドライアド様:きつねちゃんオオカミちゃん同着ゴール!!
Driad: Kitsune and Okami have reached the goal together!!

ドライアド様:というわけで今回の賞品はこちらです!
Driad: As such, the prize this time is over here!

ドライアド様:特製ドライアド像です!
Driad: It’s a specially made Driad statue!

ドライアド様:今回は引き分けだからじゃんけんで決めまー
Driad: It was a draw this time so we’ll decide this with Rock, Paper…

キツネ:私も遠慮するわ!
Fox: I’ll decline as well!

ドライアド様:じゃあ他のみんなで…
Driad: Well then, does someone else…

2 Likes
p132-134

“Connect” is a bit weird here. This is the baton transfer part of the relay.

2 Likes

Just finished this week!
Feeling pleased to be almost done with my first manga :tada: :evergreen_tree: :wolf:

I just learned about the nominalization function of の in the most recent chapter of Genki. However, Genki only introduced it in a limited amount of phrases using のが。Seeing this panel, I realized it could also be のは。I think in this chapter of Genki, they wanted you to only be able to say [person] is good at [verb] without really explaining that the function is much wider…?

3 Likes