ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 9 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

Week 9 July 8 2023
Pages 86–97
Chapter 4
Last week Week 8
Next week Week 10
Home Thread ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん ・ The Wolf of the Small Forest

Last frame of this week’s part: It’s the end of the chapter, so it’ll be obvious!

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

Vocabulary Sheet

The base for this vocab sheet was prepared using a fair amount of OCR/parsing.

Some notes for using/improving it:

• Some words might have been recognized or parsed incorrectly, e.g. they are split even though they belong together, or they are simply wrong and aren’t even in the manga. Feel free to correct/remove those if you see them!
  • Words might be missing. Feel free to add them!
  • By default, translations in grey are auto-filled with a list of possible meanings (from a Wiktionary database). If you know the specific meaning in this context, feel free to fill it in! (It’ll turn black then.)

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Not all pages have page numbers on them, so you may need to find a page with numbers to determine which page you’re on.

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
0 voters

For our new readers: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

2 Likes

86-97 per the home thread

2 Likes

I don’t even know how I mistyped that while looking at the numbers on the home thread. (This is what happens when I don’t have that part automated in my posting template…)

Thanks for the catch!

1 Like

I really need to find a way to stay more active in ABBCs

I always end up reading ahead because it’s a relatively easy read for me, and then I’m reluctant to put something down especially when it’s as face-meltingly cute as this is, but the result then is halfway through what everybody’s reading is what I’ve read weeks ago, so I don’t have all the immediate context anymore and so on, so I end up not being as active.

Which is a shame because while I do enjoy the fun easy reading, I also enjoy trying to be of some help in these threads - and I end up learning something every now and again too, because it’s not as if being able to read ABBCs relatively easily means I’ve got a solid grasp on all the basics

4 Likes

I’m stopping myself from reading ahead from those reasons, but there is one big caveheat… Between each week, I feel like I’ve completely forgotten what happened the previous week, not to mention 9 weeks ago :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

So, attempted translations for this week:

p86

オオカミ:やっぱり二人だと楽しいね!
きつね:そう。。。
Okami: Yay, with two is fun, right
Kitsune: yes…

きつね:くやしいけどここまでは合格ね。。。
Kitsune: It’s annoying, but until here (more of a “this point”? than location focused) I’m passing

きつね:次で最後のしれん。。。落とし穴を使わせてもらうわ
Kitsune: Next, last test… to use this trap

p87

きつね:たしかこのあたりに
Kitsune: If I remember right, in this area

オオカミ:何か探し物?私も手伝うよ
Okami: What are you looking for? I will help.

きつね:ううん。なんでもないの
Kitsune: No, nothing

きつね:えっ落ちる
Kitsune: Ack, falling

p88

オオカミ:大丈夫!?
Okami: Are you okay!?

p89

きつね:だ。。。だいじょうぶ
きつね:はやくパトロール終わらせましょ
Kitsune: Yes… I’m ok
Kitsune: Let’s finish the patrol quickly

オオカミ:そうだね!
Okami: That’s right

きつね:…

オオカミ:なんだか雨が降ってきそうだし
Okami: What’s that, rain coming suddenly

p90

オオカミ:そうだ! 二手にわかれてパトロールしない?
Okami: That’s it. We don’t we split up the patrol In two groups?

オオカミ:雨が降る前に終わらせなきゃ
きつね:賛成だわ
Okami: We must finish before the rain falls
Kitsune: I approve

オオカミ:そうじゃ私は右側見てくる!
きつね:私は左側ね
Okami: So that’s it, I’ll take the right side and come
Kitsune: I’ll take the left side

きつね:終わったらまたここで待ち合わせしょ!
Kitsune: When finished, we’ll wait again here

p91

オオカミ:もう降ってきちゃった
Okami: Already definitely falling

sfx: ドオオオオン
sfx: (thunder rumbling)

きつね:雷…きつねさん大丈夫かなよし。。。
Kitsune: Thunder… I wonder if Kitsune-san is ok

p92

きつね:ひっ
Kitsune: (squealing sfx)

きつね:もう。。。なんなのよ
Kitsune: Already, what’s this?

きつね:自分で落とし穴に落ちそうになるし
きつね:雨は降るし
きつね:雷はなるし。。。
Kitsune: By myself I’d get stuck in the trap (explanatory tone)
Kitsune: Rain is falling (explanatory tone)
Kitsune: Thunder is coming (explanatory tone)

p93

きつね:こんなことになるなら試すなんてここしないで素直に言えばよかった
きつね:本当はドライアド様と仲良くしてるオオカミちゃんが羨ましかっただけなのに

Hoo boy… First one first.

こんなことになるなら: This this becomes when/if
試す: try
なんてここしないで: with/at sort of here not doing?
素直に言えばよかった Honestly talking was good

Best guess: When this thing becomes (over?), it would be good to be talk honestly

Sentence number two:

きつね:本当はドライアド様と仲良くしてるオオカミちゃんが羨ましかっただけなのに
Kitsune: As for the truth, (dryad-sama being good friends) okami-chan was jealous however
rephrased to reasonable english: Truthfully, I was jealous of dryad-sama being good friends with Okami-chan

きつね:もうやだ!!
Kitsune: Stop already

きつね:オオカミちゃん助けてよ!!
Kitsune: Okami-chan save help!

p94

オオカミ:うん!まかせて
Okami: Yes, leave it to me!

きつね:なんでここに!!や。。。
Kitsune: What, here!?

きつね:やっぱりいまのなしー!
Kitsune: All the same, now

p95

ドライアド:オオカミっちゃーん!
Dryad: Okami-chan!

オオカミ:ドライアド様!
Okami: Dryad-sama!

ドライアド:あそびにきたよ!
オオカミ:嬉しいけど
オオカミ:きつねさんに怒られませんか?
Dryad: I came to visit
Okami: I’m happy, but
Okami: Kitsune-san didn’t get angry?

ドライアド:そうがね!最近オオカミちゃんのところへいっても
ドライアド:きつねちゃんあまり怒らないの
ドライアド:小言いうけど
Dryad: That’s right. recently even if I go to Okami-chan’s place
Dryad: Kitsune-san seldom gets angry
Dryad: Scolding but…

Not quite sure how this scolding fits in grammatically here.

p96

ドライアド:なんでろ
Dryad: What’s that

オオカミ:あれっ
Okami: (Aha?)

ドライアド:オオカミちゃんなにか知ってる
Dryad: Okami-chan, what do you know?

オオカミ:なになに
Okami: What, what

ドライアド:私にもおしえてよ
オオカミ:ないしょです!
ドライアド:えー!ずるいー!
Dryad: Tell me too
Okami: It’s a secret
Dryad: Unfair

p97

Picture of okami eating a delicious fruit that kitsune doesn’t appreciate

5 Likes
p86

オオカミさん is the one who’s passing so far - きつねさん is putting her to the test to see if she’s worthy of being around ドライアド様, and so far she’s passed the sour fruit test and the tricky terrain test

p87

More like “are you looking for something?” - there’s an implied がある after 探し物

p89

雨が降ってきそうだ is a combination of 雨が降ってくる + そうだ, meaning it looks like it’s going to start raining

The し indicates this is a reason or explanation for something, but the sentence trails off before indicating what (but it’s essentially the next text bubble on page 90)

p91

I’m not sure where you’re getting definitely, but ~ちゃった is a contraction of てしまった. It’s expressing that the rain already started unexpectedly, with a discontented tone

p92

もう doesn’t express “already” here, it’s just an interjection indicating annoyance

そうになる indicates something almost happened, she’s saying she almost fell into her trap herself (instead of オオカミさん)

p93

Not quite

こんなことになるなら - if it becomes this kind of thing
試すなんてここしないで - without doing something like testing here
素直に言えばよかった - it would have been good to talk frankly

So she’s saying considering how things turned out (almost falling into her own pitfall and getting caught in a thunderstorm) it would have been better to just have an open conversation with オオカミさん instead of putting her through these tests

p94

いまのなし means something like “forget what I said”, きつねさん is embarrassed that オオカミさん heard her calling for help, she wasn’t expecting オオカミさん to actually be there (and also she’s a massive tsundere)

p95

けど at the end of a sentence refers back to the clause before it, like “though” can in English - so this is something like “she does scold me though”

This can either be a contradiction with what was mentioned before, like it is here (she doesn’t get angry - she does scold me though) or it can just be a tone softener

p96

なにか is “something”, so she’s asking “do you know something?”

This is ドライアド様, in response to オオカミさん’s look indicating she does indeed know something

The rest looks okay to me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve been reading up on the causative, and two sentences tripped me up in particular this week. I think I worked through it, but could use a double-check if someone would look at my understanding.

p.86

落とし穴にを使わせてもらうわ
First off, “using” a pit trap sounds like a very vague verb. That doesn’t really make clear who the subject of the sentence is. This becomes very important when the verb is in the causative form, which implies both a causer and an actor. In this case, the use of causative does not seem permissive, but forceful. My translation (from context) so far: “I will get [Ookami-chan] to use [fall in] a pit trap.”
But then the sentence is closed with もらう. This means that Kitsune-san is receiving the act of falling in the pit trap from Ookami-chan? => “I will get her to fall in the pit trap for me.”

What tripped me up mostly is this quote from the Tofugu article on causative form:

Am I overthinking it, and is this combination of 〜させてもらう just something that was not covered by the article?

p.89

早くパトロール終わらせましょ
My first thought for a translation was “Let’s finish the patrol quickly”. But that didn’t explain the causative conjugation. Then I found that 終わる is an intransitive verb. So you can’t actually use it this say “We should finish the patrol”. That means the sentence becomes “Let’s get the patrol to finish quickly.”
(This implies to me that they cannot choose directly to end the patrol. It’s done when it is done, and they can only influence the result by making haste and getting it to be done quickly.)

And my thoughts on page 93. Bit of rambling, but it might help others to see where I struggled.

p.93

Pretty long sentences here, so I made an extra effort to challenge myself and get this page translated 100%. First sentence I broke up in subsections based on grammar patterns that I recognized. Then looked up the vocab I don’t know and tried to put it all together. And then it still didn’t make sense to me!

I then looked at yamitenshi’s explanation above, and it hit me that this is still Kitsune-san talking (or thinking) to herself. The text balloons are not being directed to either of the characters in the frame, which should have led me to this directly. Doh! I really should pay close attention, not just to the text but also to the font, type of speech bubble, etc. I take this as part of learning how to read manga. :*)

本当はドライアド様と仲良くしてるオオカミちゃんが羨ましかっただけなのに
The truth is, even though I was just jealous of Ookami-chan [for] getting along with Dryad-sama…

ピカッ
If I’m not mistaken, this is the onomatopeia for a flash of lightning? Which would be the trigger for Kitsune-san’s outburst of もうやだ!! => “Enough!!” or “I can’t take this anymore!!”

オオカミちゃん助けてよー!!
Ookami-chan, save me!!

And a random comment on p. 94, relating to the art and the story.

p.94

Nothing related to the text, but I just love the expression on Ookami-chan’s face as Kitsune-san turns around. She’s just so happy to be able to help, and anticipating Kitsune’s (grateful) reaction. :smiley:

4 Likes

The face of someone that’s hiding something, so cute

Looks kinda like a regular girl without the ears showing

4 Likes
p86

Probably, but the explanation is also a bit misleading I think. It’s not necessarily something that’s explicitly permitted by someone else and it’s not necessarily actual appreciation that’s involved.

In essence causative + もらう is just a polite way of saying you’re going to do something, like a job interviewer might say 始まらせてもらう when kicking off the interview. You don’t get a choice in the matter and you can bet the interviewer isn’t actually appreciative of you not interrupting, they’re just being polite about it.

The same is happening here. It’s just part of the way きつねさん conducts herself - which is a bit of a farce as we see (and will see in chapters to come), she’s not nearly the well-composed well-mannered lady she tries to appear as :smile:

But in essence this is just a polite way to say 落とし穴を使う

3 Likes

Found this week a little bit easier than last week, there were only really two tough sentences in there on page 93 but thankfully they have already been explained in this thread.

Couple of new words/Kanji learned today:

くやしい - Annoying
落とし穴 - Pitfall/Trap
たしか - Certain
賛成 - Approval / Agreement
雷 - Thunder/Lightning (Now I understand Kaminari’s name in My Hero Academia)
素直 - Honest
羨ましい - Envious/Jealous
小言 - Scolding

3 Likes

I have a few questions as well as things I wanted to check.

p89

早くパトロール終わらせましょ
(as for the) patrol let’s (cause to) end early

なんだか雨が降ってきそうだし。。。
a little come to seam-like-rain
(eng: It looks a little like it’s going to rain.)

p90

雨が降る前に終わらせなきゃ
before rain, if not made to finish
(eng: If we don’t finish (the patrol) before the rain falls…)
(implied: that would be bad) (I think, from きゃ・ければ?)

p91

雷。。。きつねさん大丈夫から
I am puzzled by this から, even though I understand that Ookami-chan is worried about how Kitsune-san must be doing with the thunder and lightning. Is it something like, “from the lightning, Kitsune-san safe” (I wonder to myself)

よし [in thought bubble]
Continuation of the previous sentiment, but in thought form? This one has stumped me.

Everything else is OK or already explained. Thank you!
edit: fixed typos -_-

3 Likes
p90

Yeah, this is the usual “we must do X” pattern

p91

You misread it, that’s a かな there, so “I wonder if…:”

I guess she just randomly switched to not saying this out loud, not sure why, but it’s nothing overly weird

4 Likes

Ah, well in that case かな makes way more sense! :woman_facepalming: Although I’m glad I misread instead of missing some obscure grammar point. Thank you as per usual!

4 Likes

Here’s my translations for this week :slight_smile: Although it wasn’t a big part of this week, I noticed that thanks to オオカミちゃん I always understand 驚く now when I stumble over it in other books :smiley:

Page 86

やっぱり二人と楽しいね!
It’s fun being two people, after all!

くやしいけどここまでは合格ね。。。
It’s annoying but so far she passed every test…

次で最後の試練。。。
Next is the last test…

落とし穴を使わせてもらうわ
Using the pitfall trap

Page 87

たしかそのあたりに
surely somewhere around there

何か探し物?
Are you looking for something?

私も手伝うよ?
I’ll help you too, okay?

ううんなんでもない
No, it’s nothing

落ちるー
I’m fallingー

Page 88

大丈夫!?
Are you ok?

Page 89

だ。。。大丈夫
I-I’m alright

早くパトロール終わらせましょう
Let’s finish the patrol quickly

そうだね!
Okay!

なんだか雨が降ってきそうだし。。。
Looks like it’s going to rain…

Page 90

そうだ!
Alright!

二手にわかれてパトロールない?
Why won’t we do two separate patrols?

雨が降る前に終わらせなきゃ
We have to finish before it rains

賛成だわ
Agreed

それじゃ私は右側身てくる!
Then I’ll go to the right side!

私は左側ね
I’ll take the left side

終わったらまたここで待ち合わせしょ!
Let’s meet back here when we’re done!

Page 91

もう降ってきちゃった。。。
It’s already raining…

雷。。。きつねさん大丈夫かな
Thunder… I wonder if Kitsune is alright

Page 92

もう何なのよ。。。
What is it now…

自分で落とし穴に落ちそうになるし
I fell into the pit trap myself

雨は降るし
It’s raining

雷はなるし。。。
There’s thunder…

Page 93

こんなことなるはら試すなんてことしないで素直に言えばよかった
I should have been honest with you instead of trying to test you

本当はドライアド様と仲良くしてるオオカミちゃんが羨ましかっただけなのに。。。
Honestly, I was jealous how well you’re getting along with Dryad…

もうやだ!
Enough already!

オオカミちゃん助けてよー!!
Ookami, save me!

Page 94

うん!まかせて!
Yes! Leave it to me!

なん。。。で。。。ここに。。。!!
Wh…at… this!!!

やっぱり今のなしー!!
Forget what I just said!!

Page 95

遊びに来たよ!
Let’s go play!

嬉しいけどきつねさんに怒られませんか?
I would like to, but wouldn’t Kitsune be angry?

それがね!最近オオカミちゃんのところへ行ってもきつねちゃんあまり怒らないの小言は言うけど
That’s it! Lately, when I go to Ookami, Kitsune doesn’t get so angry, even though she does complain.

Page 96

オオカミちゃん何か知ってる?
Do you know something?

私にも教えてよ!
I wanna know too!

内緒です!
It’s a secret!

ずるいー!
Not fair!

4 Likes

Finished this week’s pages! Even tho this week was easy and I understood most of it, it shows the parts I didn’t understand in previous weeks (mainly all the stuff that happened with ドライアッド様 oops). Interesting how you can go week by week mostly understanding everything but those gaps in understanding catch up with you as you start trying to understand the plot as a whole.

4 Likes

Finally getting around to catching up here. I’ve got translation attempts for Week 9 and I’ve almost finished Week 10 so I’ll actually be able to get them posted tomorrow. Thank goodness these are some slightly shorter sections. There was a couple of really long lines of dialogue on Page 94 that gave me some trouble so hopefully they’re okay. There’s not that much to say about the story. It’s cute.

Pages 88-90

オオカミ:やっぱり二人だと楽しいね!
Wolf: Sure enough, it’s fun with two people!

キツネ:ここまでは合格ね…
Fox: Up until now, she’s passing…

キツネ:次で最後の試練…
Fox: Next is the final test…

キツネ:落とし穴を使わせてもらうわ。
Fox: I’ll use this pitfall.

キツネ:たしかこのあたりに…
Fox: I’m certain it’s around here…

オオカミ:何か探し物?私も手伝うよ。
Wolf: Are you looking for something? I’ll help too.

Pages 91-93

キツネ:早くパトロール終わらせましょ。
Fox: Let’s finish patrol soon.

オオカミ:雨が降ってきそうだし…
Wolf: It looks like it’s starting to rain…

オオカミ:二手にわかれてパトロールしない?
Wolf: Can’t we do patrol by splitting into two groups?

オオカミ:雨が降る前に終わらせなきゃ。
Wolf: We have to finish before it rains.

キツネ:賛成だわ。
Fox: I’m in agreement.

オオカミ:それじゃ私は右側見てくる!
Wolf: Well then, I’ll watch the right side!

キツネ:私は左側ね。
Fox: I’ll take the left side.

オオカミ:終わったらまたここで待ち合わせしよ!
Wolf: When we finish, let’s meet up here again!

オオカミ:もう降ってきちゃった…
Wolf: It’s already raining…

Pages 94-96

キツネ:自分で落とし穴に落ちそうになるし。雨は降るし。雷は鳴るし…
Fox: It seems that I have fallen into the pitfall myself. It’s raining. Lightning is roaring…

キツネ:こんなことになるなら試すなんてことしないで素直に言えばよかった。
Fox: If this is the result, it would have been good to speak to her honestly without testing her.

キツネ:本当はドライアド様と仲良くしてるオオカミちゃんが羨ましかっただけなのに…
Fox: I was really just jealous that Okami is getting along well with Dryad…

キツネ:やっぱり今のなしー!!
Fox: Forget what I just said!!

Pages 97-98

ドライアド様:最近オオカミちゃんのところへ行っても。
Driad: Recently, even if I go to your place…

ドライアド様:きつねちゃんあまり怒らないの。小言は言うけど。
Driad: …Kitsune isn’t very angry. She gives me a scolding, but…

ドライアド様:オオカミちゃん何か知ってる?
Driad: Okami, do you know something?

ドライアド様:私にも教えてよ~!
Driad: Tell me as well!

p91-93

This is rather “Why don’t we split into two groups and do the patrol that way?”

1 Like

My English might just be bad for some reason, but both of these English sentences come across with the exact same meaning? I guess the て form would mean there’s an ‘and’ in there, but I’m not nessessarily aiming for a literal translation 100% of the time. I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing or not.

In English, “Can’t we do patrol by splitting into two groups?” is an actual question.
It can be used in either of these situations:

A: Patrolling this area will take a long time, it’s huge.
B: Can’t we do [it] by splitting the group? (Since that way it would faster)

Or

A: We have to patrol this area as a group
B: Can’t we split up instead?

It’s either “Are we able to” or “Are we allowed to”

“Why don’t we” is not an actual question. It has the same meaning as “Let’s do X”, just less direct

In Japanese the first one would be something like “二手にわかれてパトロールするのはできませんか?” I think

1 Like