ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん Volume 2 Book Club 🌳 (The Wolf of the Small Forest)

ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん Volume 2

This thread is an offshoot of the Absolute Beginner Book Club read of ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん Volume 1.

Reading Schedule

Help decide the schedule!

Counting only pages with more than a few words, here is the page count per chapter.
  • Chapter 8: 10 pages
  • Chapter 9: 16 pages
  • Chapter 10: 15 pages
  • Chapter 11: 6 pages
  • Chapter 12: 20 pages
  • Chapter 13: 4 pages
  • Chapter 14: 17 pages
  • Chapter 15: 7 pages
  • Chapter 16: 13 pages
  • Chapter 17: 12 pages
  • Chapter 18: 7 pages
  • Chapter 19: 10 pages
  • Chapter 20: 15 pages

We can go at a slower pace or a faster pace.

Slow pace: One chapter per week across 13 weeks.
Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Wk 1 September 02 2023 Ch 8 10
Wk 2 September 09 2023 Ch 9 16
Wk 3 September 16 2023 Ch 10 15
Wk 4 September 23 2023 Ch 11 6
Wk 5 September 30 2023 Ch 12 20
Wk 6 October 07 2023 Ch 13 4
Wk 7 October 14 2023 Ch 14 17
Wk 8 October 21 2023 Ch 15 7
Wk 8 October 28 2023 Ch 16 13
Wk 9 November 04 2023 Ch 17 12
Wk 10 November 11 2023 Ch 18 7
Wk 11 November 18 2023 Ch 19 10
Wk 12 November 25 2023 Ch 20 15

Note: Page count ignores pages with little to no dialogue.

Fast pase: Combine shorter chapters with longer chapters across 8 weeks.
Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Wk 1 September 02 2023 Ch 8 10
Wk 2 September 09 2023 Ch 9 16
Wk 3 September 16 2023 Ch 10
Ch 11
Wk 4 September 23 2023 Ch 12 20
Wk 5 September 30 2023 Ch 13
Ch 14
Wk 6 October 07 2023 Ch 15
Ch 16
Wk 7 October 14 2023 Ch 17
Ch 18
Wk 8 October 21 2023 Ch 19
Ch 20

Note: Page count ignores pages with little to no dialogue.

Please vote for the paces you feel comfortable with. Consider your reading abilities and whether you are also participating in the Horimiya club!

• Slow Pace (13 weeks)
  • Fast Pace (8 weeks)
0 voters

Vocabulary List

6 Likes

Chapter 8

Start Date: 2023-09-01T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

Eeeeeeee! I am so excited to start this!! :smiley:

5 Likes

So I think I’m going to start this book club vs ホリミヤ. @ChristopherFritz thanks for posting this in the other thread.

2 Likes

Book club hasn’t even started yet and I’m already ahead :smiling_face_with_tear: I’ll try to join in with the discussions but I’m guessing I’ll be done with the volume sometime this week :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for hosting!

P 3 - handwritten text if it helps anyone

するとそこには
クリスマスツリー
がありました

next panel and zoomed in lower left
お星さまの作り方

3 Likes

Did I miss what page/panel we’re supposed to end on? This manga has so few marked page numbers in it. XD

2 Likes

End of the chapter (8) for this week, so it should be easy to see when you see Ch 9 start!

1 Like

I finished the chapter, and thankfully that was where we were supposed to end. Whew!

That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute. I am dying of cute. Ahhhhhhh, I love this manga so much. ;-;

4 Likes

Will there be weekly threads, similar to the first book? Or is all discussion for offshoots contained to the main thread?

1 Like

I interpreted that since ChristopherFritz made the Ch 8 start post in this main thread, we’re having the discussion here. It seems to often be the case for offshoots, as there’s generally less activity than in the main book club threads, and it makes it easier for the host.

1 Like

Reading this volume will be whole chapters.

Depending on the schedule vote, we may have some weeks where we read two chapters (one being very short). In this situation, the weekly post will list two chapters.

As mitrac mentioned, the number of readers for an offshoot tends to be low compared with the first month of the main book club read. For this reason, offshoots typically limit to one thread, as there’s typically much less conversation.

My apologies for the confusion, as I’m used to offshoot clubs to the point I failed to consider explaining the format!

4 Likes

I’m glad we’ve finally started with volume 2, I’d missed reading this every week! This chapter didn’t give me any trouble, but there’s one small thing I wasn’t sure about:

Page 4

What’s に doing here? I would have expected と, or no particle at all.

1 Like

p4

I hadn’t seen this before, either and hadn’t come back to figure out what was going on. So I looked it up!

“How to Tell the Difference Between Japanese Particles” sections III and XI list this use of に and say it’s the same as と but more formal.

A quick perusal of the Dictionaries of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Japanese didn’t seem to have this use.

edited to add: Kodansha’s A Dictionary of Japanese Particles also lists this use, sense #9 of に, page 127. It describes this use as being more “additive” than と.

3 Likes

It’s hidden away in Basic under と’s “related expressions” section:

III. The particle ni can be used to combine two or more objects that usually come as a set.

While I couldn’t say this usage is all that common in the manga I’ve read, I have encountered it before.

Example from Detective Conan

Ran Mouri and Sonoka Suzuki, close friends, are invited to a former teacher’s wedding.

The teacher sees the two and says, 「あら! 毛利(もうり)さんに鈴木(すずき)さん…」

Potential example from ARIA

Akari and Aika are tasked with preparing an event.

Considering the guest list, Akari starts listing off everyone she’d like to send an invitation to.

Note that this one she may simply be saying “to [name], to [name], to [name]”, so I don’t know whether this is the same usage as “and”.

3 Likes

Sigh. I feel like they don’t quite get the core concept of a dictionary.

It does appear in the index, though!

1 Like

Yay, back to Ookami-chan and her friends. Cute as ever. And the first chapter went pretty well for me. :slight_smile:
It’s always a bit funny to read a Christmas story when it’s sunny and warm outside.

There was a couple of points where I could use some double-checking:

p.4

まずは木の実から

Does this refer to the pinecones (tree nuts)? I also wasn’t sure what function から had in the sentence here, but it didn’t make too much difference for my understanding overall.

p.8

ミミズクさん呼びに行こっか

I’m pretty sure this translates as “Should we go call Mimizuku?”, but I was wondering about the 行こっか. Is it a variation of 行こうか?

p.9

今回はオオカミちゃんが飾れたらしいのに

For me, this was the most complicated sentence of the chapter. This is the past potential form of 飾れる? Translating to "This time, although it seemed like Ookami could do the decorating (by herself)…

Not sure, would appreciate some help.

2 Likes
p.4

I interpreted the から for it’s “and then” meaning. So: “first the pine cones and then…”

P 8

Yeah that’s right

p 9

There’s just a little typo
今回はオオカミちゃんが飾れたらいのに
飾れたら is the conditional of 飾る
“Although, this time it would be good if ookami could put it up…”
I’m less sure on this one, it was tough! I think きつねちゃん in the upper right hand corner is recognizing how happy it would make ookami, since she made the ornament herself and made this all happen with such joy. And in the next panel you see how ookami is so struck speechless by this as it’s not kitune’s usual distanced attitude.

2 Likes

Page 4

()() is a fairly generic “catch all” term that does indeed include pinecones.

Generally, から marks a “starting point”.

Alongside the まず, you can think of this as “First, (I’ll) start with the pinecones.

@mitrac’s interpretation has the same general meaning: the pinecones are the start, and then other things follow.

Here is a scene from Detective Conan with the same usage.

Conan and his friends from class get caught up in a plot to kidnap and murder the pop duo Two-Mix.

At one point, Shiina of Two-Mix is shot in the arm. His partner, Minami, charges at their captor.

Here, he’s saying 「まずは おまえから…」

In this case, he plans to eliminate Minami first (starting with her), then work his way through Shiina and the kids.

As @mitrac says, you are correct.

If you continue to read manga, you'll see this one often.

(Maybe in other native material as well, but I’m mostly familiar with manga.)

Page 9

Looks like you got it right =D

2 Likes