それでも歩は寄せてくる | Week 3 Discussion ♟

To add to this, don’t forget that probably most people who’ve posted in a thread will have it set to watching

5 Likes
Pg. 29

When she says: “私と二人きりでいれらなくなるから” does she mean that, in response to him objecting about gathering more members, “because that way it won’t be just the two of us” ?

Or the “二人きり” means the other two members, meaning something like “Because that way I won’t be with the two of them.”

This causative negative adverb form of いる really hit me hard. :rofl:

6 Likes

Yes, this is correct.

It’d be strange to use 二人きり to talk about being with other two people. きり, which I believe originally comes from 切る, presents a type of “limitation”, as in “two people and no one else”, so that’s not what one would normally use to say “me and two other people”, which adds up to three.

10 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know, and good point @VikingSchism.

3 Likes

Page 34 gave me some trouble. I had a typo in my transcription that took me a while to notice. Thankfully one of my questions was answered above already. My remaining questions, well… here they are:

Page 34

この辺かなと

I assume because 「この辺」=“this area” that he came here to look for her. What is 「かなと」 though? I think 「かな」 might be the particle giving a sense of “I wonder if”. If that’s the case, for 「と」 to make sense there must be a missing part of the sentence that comes afterward?

いちいち 怖いわ さっきから

Everything but the first word makes sense to me as “Because a moment ago that was scary.” How does 「いちいち」=“every single” fit into this though?

で用事って なんだ?

Everything but 「で」 makes sense to me to mean “what is the task?”. A particle like 「で」 at the beginning of the sentence must be referring to something in a previous sentence, or something unsaid, but I’m not sure what.

8 Likes

I haven’t yet committed to this bookclub (neither have I decided to definitely skip it), so I’m just casually reading along for now. But since I have just read this chapter, I can try answering what I can:

I have often seen で at the beginning of sentences. I believe it’s meaning 4 from jisho : and then, so. It feels more like so, or by the way to me wherever I’ve seen it used like this.

さっきから seems to mean since some time ago; for some time; for quite a while . I’m taking いちいち to mean gradually, or maybe every single (thing you do/say)? So the sentence might mean Because you’ve been gradually scaring me for a while now

The word missing might be 思った, as in I thought you’d be in this area? Mostly guessing here.

9 Likes

Got it! It makes more sense that way. Thanks!

4 Likes

I agree with pretty much all your answers. I would just say for いちいち 怖いわ さっきから, from context we know she’s talking about the things he’s been saying (like how he tracked her down), so I would say the “every single thing you say” meaning you mentioned is the right one. So the whole thing is like “For a while now, everything you’ve been saying has been scary”.

10 Likes

That all makes sense, thanks! Page 34 conquered :grin:

6 Likes

Page 26 - 将棋部っていう響きが…いいし?

I love how in English we would say something “has a nice ring to it”, and in Japanese we can say something has a nice “echo” to it!

14 Likes

I enjoyed the chapters this week - don’t have a whole lot to contribute in terms of questions this week, or current answer, but I did love it. Particularly enjoyed the second chapter I thought it was hilarious that Ayumu just wanted to walk with her and that was his ‘errand’.

I did not realize we were up to 2 chapters a week this week, but I did end up reading the second one last night by happy accident.

11 Likes

Just got done with the second chapter for the week - was a lot of fun, and a nice short one (hence why we’re doing two I guess haha)

It’s fun to see Ayumu being too forward despite also being incredibly stoic, meanwhile Urushi gets completely flustered by it. Makes a change from the usual trope of the girl being the one who’s forward with their feelings/the boy getting flustered

6 Likes

One more question on the last page before starting the next chapter:

Page 38

なんか 言いかけたろ今!!

Am I correct that 「言いかけたろ」 is a contraction for 言いかけた + だろう?

5 Likes

Yes, I believe so

4 Likes

Quick response, thanks! It took me a while to recognize that contraction, but I think I’m slowly getting better at interpreting all the casual language.

On a different topic, I laughed out loud when I read the part where Ayumu clarified that he was saying Urushi is cute, not the pawn (Page 35-36). It’s simple enough Japanese that I understood the joke without having to over analyze it. He certainly is being forward!

9 Likes

I love Urushi’s blushing face and other expressions. She’s so cute. Can’t wait for the anime, which I guess is coming July 2022?

4 Likes

Not sure if this has been linked before, but I just found a good article on the anime: Crunchyroll - When Will Ayumu Make His Move? TV Anime Advances in July of 2022

So yes… July 2022!

6 Likes

Thanks for the link. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Its definitely more of a challenge reading something completely new. Though its going to be really cool watching the anime for the first time after reading the manga in its raw form :heart_eyes: (yes im geeking out lol) I mean it was really fun reading Takagi-san and then finding the anime episode and watching to see how much I understood correctly or to see what was totally different. Im looking forward to doing the same with this one :grinning:

7 Likes

Also is there a way to alternate the line colors in the vocab spreadsheet? Like how the Takagi-san vocab sheet was? Its hard for me to follow the lines across to the page numbers lol I need to learn how spreadsheet. Though the lack of page numbers in the manga makes finding the right page hard anyway.

4 Likes

I liked the alternating colors from Takagi-san too. Just added them to Ayumu. How does the it look now? For reference this is how I did it:

1. Select all cells (click in the upper left corner of the cells, above label for row “1”, to do this)
  2. Click the “Fill color” icon
  3. Click “Alternating colors” at the bottom of the popup

I would also love borders between pages, but I’m not sure how to do that and still make it easy for people to add new vocab words. Google sheets annoyingly copies cell borders when you insert a row.

9 Likes