しろくまカフェ: Week 10 Discussion (Chapters 19 and 20)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

しろくまカフェ home thread

Chapters 19 and 20

Start date: May 15th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 17 and 18
Next chapter: Chapters 21-23

Page numbers

b174615ec62c30e5548289f3be860f5e4a748deb

Vocabulary list

You can also check the page numbers for new and old versions here. If you have an old version, chapters 24-28 are in the second volume!

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :panda_face:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

I’m totally not catching up on the last chapters right now :upside_down_face: :joy:

2 Likes

I’m on chapter 10!!!
I’ll catch up one day for sure.

2 Likes

I may have managed to read ahead a little last week, and just barely finished chapter 20 today. アロハ

I haven’t been saying much here since my free time recently has been going into a few projects, but I’m definitely still reading along.

In chapter 19, I both feel パンダ is overreacting and feel bad for him at the same time.

It has to be fun for the author to draw fairly realistic-looking animals (rather than cartoonish) in these various situations.

2 Likes

So, we’re nearing the chapter 24 which is a problematic one - it has 15 pages. With the 23rd (7 pages) we would have to read 22 pages in a week, when we were reading around 16 now.

I could break it up like 21+22+23 which would be 20 pages, and 24th on the next week with 15 pages.

We could continue with the same amount of chapters, so 21+22=13 pages, and 23+24=22 pages.

Or I could break it up even more and make 21+22=13 pages, then 23=7 pages and then 24=15 pages

• Make 21+22+23 and then 24 (20 and 15 pages)
  • Make 21+22, then 23 and then 24 (13, 7 and 15 pages; plus one week)
  • Make 21+22 and then 23+24 (13 and 22 pages)
  • I don’t know

0 voters

1 Like

I really liked both chapters this week! I don’t think I had any questions this time, though.

On page 118, I’m not sure what Penguin is saying in the first panel. He says 大人の都合ってヤツね and I’m not sure if he’s sympathizing with Panda or Panda’s mother here. Is he implying that adults have to do what’s convenient for them or is he saying it more like “Man, those adults sure like to do what’s convenient for them, huh?”

I think it’s the ヤツ that’s confusing me here because it makes the sentence sounds rude.

I’m also a bit unsure of his follow-up comment:
ケーキが1コで済むとかさ
My best guess is something like “As soon as one cake is finished…”

Edit: Sorry, didn’t mean to tag you.

3 Likes

According to this Japanese Language Stack Exchange posting:

I’ve bolded the main takeaway. Based on this, I might translate it as, “That’s what they call the convenience of adults.”

3 Likes

Ah! He’s putting a name to the thing Panda’s getting at! That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Edit: That changes the context for his follow-up to something more akin to “Like only making one cake”? I guess?

Encountering something I think I know, but don’t, is often the most difficult to learn because I don’t believe I need to look it up. I do recall wondering about this line when I read it, but I was away from the Internet at the time and never got back to it (so I’m glad you asked!)

For anyone inexperienced in searching for grammar information, I did a Google search for: “ってヤツ grammar” (no quotes), and the page I linked was the second result. Of course, for しろくまカフェ questions, that’s also what this thread is for, and we all benefit =D

1 Like

Now that I’ve taken a moment to look up the meaning of 済む (new word for me), that’s how I read it.

On page 123, the one where Panda and Polar Bear are waylaid by ladies who think they’re cute, what’s the second kanji in Panda’s second sentence? I can’t find it on jisho and google translate seems to be broken tonight.

I’m reading it as 「日が暮れちゃうよ!」

Apparently 日が暮れる is an expression meaning “to set (sun); to become dark”.

2 Likes

For some reason the 19th chapter was kinda hard to read through :DD I also struggled with finding what 見苦しい was :joy: The second chapter, and the last in the old edition, was reeeally sweet:33 And new words for animals, yay \o/

1 Like

New thread is here \o/ Chapters 21-23

3 Likes

Ah, whoops. I clean forgot to do this week’s reading. Welp, I’ma do it now.

Never thought I’d see furigana more squishy than some of the examples in Aria, but squishing キャビンアテンダント into the width of “CA” wins that prize by an easy mile.

And done. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what are some examples of Aria’s transgressions?

Just off the top of my head:

ゴンドラ

地球マンホーム

地球化 テラフォーミング

3 Likes

I’m trying to catch up and I’m confused by something on page 124, the one after they get out of the airport and are on the beach. Panda says:

ビーチでは
かい
海 パン

And he’s using the kanji for sea/ocean, but it uses an alternate reading. I’m guessing that he’s saying something like “At the beach I’m a sea-panda” denoting his appearance in a bathing suit with what I can only assume is a play on words. But I’m not sure and can’t find a better answer. I’m looking for a pun but I can’t find one. Can someone tell me how they read this?

Edit: Also I’m not as cool as Belthazar and can’t figure out the markdown for putting text directly above the kanji. This is the best I can do.

海パン means swimming trunks. I didn’t think there was a deeper meaning past that, but I might be wrong.

1 Like