しろくまカフェ: Week 8 Discussion (Chapters 15 and 16)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

しろくまカフェ home thread

Chapters 15 and 16

Start date: May 1st
Previous Chapter: Chapter 14
Next chapter: Chapters 17 and 18

Page numbers

b174615ec62c30e5548289f3be860f5e4a748deb

Vocabulary list

You can also check the page numbers for new and old versions here. If you have an old version, chapters 24-28 are in the second volume!

Translations/Grammar Breakdown

Expand for a nested list of links covering each panel

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :panda_face:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

Looks like this is where the bis and original versions start to diverge? Page numbers are quite different for these two chapters.

1 Like

Assuming this is the right chapter, it looks like it’s styled as more like a ‘side story’ in the old version, not an actual chapter, (all the following chapters have this banner below them) is this the same for the BIS?

1 Like

Yeah, that looks just like it is in my bis copy, except it’s labeled as #15, like a normal chapter.

1 Like

Aww. I was getting all excited because colour pages, but apparently we’re not doing those this week?

They’re not numbered at all in the original version…

2 Likes

Here’s the chapter number shown in bis (for anyone who may want to see it):

08_782823_782823_1_081_001%20top

There is the banner at the bottom, and no page numbers. The last page’s cupcake refers to the recipe which follows (which is for Polynesian sauce), and the recipe page is numbered as 89 (again, bis).

Edit: The banner’s different. Here’s the bis version:

Left Side

Right Side

What’s the kanji in the parentheses at the top-left? Is it 編? Looking in the photo, I’m coming up with:

シロクマくんの休日(きゅうじつ)

<バーベキュー(へん)

Aye, that’s it.

I really liked both chapters this week! And I had an easier time with these chapters than the last couple–it seemed like they were a bit less dense than the last couple of weeks? I didn’t really have anything I didn’t understand, though some of that is probably just from getting more experience reading as time goes by.

With the pages this week, we’re just over halfway through the bis version of the book! 97/193 pages down.

Chapter 15 was surprisingly easy! I was about to add vocabulary but someone beat me to it. I noticed the explanatory て again. What’s with the usage of なんだ in パンダくん’s speech?

1 Like

I started adding some, but I’m out of time for today, so feel free to add more :slight_smile:

You mean, in the line 今日はバーベキューパーティーなんだよ~? (Can’t give a page number because these pages aren’t numbered, and I’m reading the original version anyway, so it’s different.)

That’s the explanatory ~んだ ending with an extra な, because you need to use a な after nouns and な-adjectives.

2 Likes

ohhh! That makes more sense.

I added some more vocabulary words for 15. Can someone more fluent double-check my work? Thanks!

I think I finally catched up! And maybe I have read and extra chapter…

2 Likes

And I am enjoying these long chapters better than the short ones

1 Like

I looked at the pages for the old version for this week and, for a very short second, thought I had to read 50 pages.

Also, I’m bad at time, when will cover chapters 21-28? I have volume 2, but I’d like to know when I need to switch to it.

1 Like

Judging by the page numbers in the vocab sheet, I think we’re going to switch to vol2 from 24-28 chapters (I also have an old version:3), soooo if we continue with this pace we’re gonna start 23-24th chapter on 28th of May /o/

It’s also 15 pages, so I thought of breaking it up, so maybe even a week later? I’ll do a poll when the time comes:3

3 Likes

Oops, I had been quiet for the last few weeks and have just been lurking in the background! But man it does feel like 15 and 16 I had a way easier time with.

I’m really thankful for this reading club since I’m feeling much more confident (especially since I’m hitting a bump in learning in general).

But it the food in Chapter 15 really made me hungry, now I’m craving anything with Polynesian sauce

3 Likes

I thought so too /o/ They were much simpler and also really cute:33

And thank you:33 Reading does help and it’s also fun, so I’m glad you’re enjoying it /o/

2 Likes